26 Long Dresses for Summer + Women's Maxi Dresses and Skirts
By: Kirsten Kwon, Editor of AllFreeSewing.com
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
It's no secret that maxi dresses have been one of this summer's most popular trends. What's not to love? They're slimming, flatter every body type, comfortable and easy to dress up or keep casual. One more thing to love about these long dresses for summer - you can actually make them yourself! Sure, you can find these maxi dresses all over the stores but at a much higher price. As sewists, we're always looking for the DIY option. In this collection you'll find 26 long dresses for summer and women's maxi dresses and skirts. Women's maxi dresses are all the rage and even when summer comes to a close, these pieces can easily carry over into fall by adding on a cute jacket and boots.
If you're new to creating one of these long dresses, learn how to make a maxi dress or how to make a maxi skirt with any of these DIY maxi dress tutorials. If you're planning a vacation, make resort maxi dresses like the Strapless Maxi Dress or the Ruffled Maxi Dress. For an easy DIY maxi dress with a vintage feel, try creating the Vintage Sheet to Maxi Dress project. When you're interested in sewing long skirts, we've provided projects like The Jersey Skirt or The Under Skirt. When it comes to dressing for the season, there's nothing more comfortable and cute than long dresses for summer. Let this collection of long, flowing skirts and women's maxi dresses inspire you to create special pieces that can live in your wardrobe for years to come!
26 Long Dresses for Summer + Women's Maxi Dresses and Skirts
Table of Contents:
1. Strapless Ruffled Maxi Dresses: a DIY strapless maxi dress fit for the stars.
2. Strapless Maxi Dress (shown): Resort maxi dresses are perfect for summer parties.
3. The SoHo Maxi Dress: An easy DIY Maxi Dress with funky flair.
4. Vintage Sheet to Maxi Dress: Learn how to make a maxi dress from your favorite vintage piece.
5. Simple Maxi Dress: Maxi dresses (as simple as this one) are a summer staple for your wardrobe.
6. Effortless Caftan Dress: Learn how to make maxi dresses that are as easy as they are gorgeous with this lovely maxi dress pattern.
7. Draped Maxi Dress: If you’re seeking long dresses for summer parties, learn how to make a maxi dress like this one. Maxi dresses this cute are reserved for goddesses like you.
8. 30 Minute 4 Seam Caftan: One of the most popular tutorials on how to make a maxi dress, these instructions will have you dazzling in a DIY maxi dress in time.
9. Stripe Play Maxi Dress: You’ll feel so much better on formal or semi-formal occasions after you’ve learned how to make a maxi dress like this one. Black, chic, and elegant, you’ll be the talk of the party in this DIY dress.
10. Super Easy Summer Dress: There’s no reason not to learn how to make a maxi dress when it’s this simple. Whip this DIY maxi dress up in no time and wear it out at night for some summer lovin’.
11. Kids' Maxi Dress: Why should grown-ups have all the glam? Make your girls some long dresses for summer that they can play in and wear to social events, campfires, church, or wherever their adventures take them.
12. Coal Dress: Free long dress pattern creates one piece that looks like two!
13. Knit Peasant Dress Tutorial: Learn to sew dresses that are super-comfy.
14. The Cabo Dress T-Shirt Refashion: perfect for the beach or a tropical restaurant.
15. Convertible Dress/Skirt (shown): Convert this piece to fit your needs - it works as both a simple skirt and a free long dress pattern.
16. A Gathered Dress: Retro long dresses for summer are so in right now. Make a DIY dress that you can dress up or down.
17. Colorblock T-Shirt Dress: Keep it casual this season by making long dresses for summer that aren’t too formal. This Colorblock T-Shirt Dress will have you cool, comfy, and cute.
18. The Domesticated Skirt: Sew long skirts and you can use them as aprons too!
19. DIY Maxi Skirt: Sewing long skirts can pay off in style and comfort.
20. The Jersey Skirt (shown): You sew long skirts so you can look cute all year - try this season friendly project.
21. The Under Skirt: A free skirt pattern that's totally practical for your wardrobe.
22. Anthropologie Ruffled Skirt Tutorial: Dress this one up for work or date night - sewing long skirts has never been this fun.
23. Long Patterned Peasant Skirt: Sewing long skirts is the perfect summer project because it lets you practice your skills and results in something beautiful. Take a look at this DIY skirt and try not to fall in love with the summer sewing pattern.
24. DIY Denim Skirt: If it’s a casual sewn skirt you’re after, this is your ticket. Sewing long skirts for summer doesn’t have to be on account of formal occasions; cover up and look chic at the same time.
25. Fat Quarter Long Wrap Skirt: If you’re one for fat-quarters and want to know the ins and outs of sewing long skirts, this is your project.
26. 6 Step Skirt: Take an hour to make a long skirt like this one. It only takes 6 steps to make a skirt for summer that looks fashionable and fun.
BONUS: Learn How to Make a One Shoulder Dress with this video tutorial:
What do you love about maxi dresses? Will you be wearing any of these trends this summer or fall?
Images from other crafters
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- Lace Dress
- "15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Projects" eBook
- 26 Long Dresses for Summer + Women's Maxi Dresses and Skirts
- Vintage Heirloom Dress
- Simple Maxi Dress
- Effortless Caftan Dress
- Infinity Dress Tutorial
- Putting on the Glitz LBD
- The New Woman's Flapper Dress
- 30 Minute Sheath Dress
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Project
- 6 Free Sewing Projects to Make for Going Back to School
- 6 Sew Easy To Make Christmas Ornaments
- 6 Sewing Projects for Christmas: How to Make Easy Last Minute Christmas Gifts
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Give Thanks: 10 Sewing Ideas for Thanksgiving
- Homemade Halloween Costumes: 11 Kids Halloween Costume Ideas
- How to Make Your Own Halloween Costumes: 9 DIY Halloween Costumes
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Little Ears Easy Scarf Pattern
- Upcycled Baby Clothes Pattern
- How to Make a Onesie with Love
- How to Make a Sweater Reversible
- Any Holiday Scrappy Mug Rug Pattern
- 5 Minute Finger Puppet Craft
- Monster DIY Pillow Pattern
- Raglan T-Shirt Pattern
- Fleece Hat Pattern for Kids
- Lined Tote Bag Pattern