- see all comments
"Updated link https//web.archive.org/web/20200203132624/https//d == iystyle.net/projects/fashion/ruffled-zipper-clutch == /"
"https//www.charmed-liebling.com/uploads/1/1/1/6/11 == 162541/pinkpeonybag9589.pdf. It seems like the link is broken."
"Thanks a lot!!"
"Looking for pattern to make pillows from old cheer uniforms?"
How to Use Sewing Patterns (Digital & Traditional)
Learn how to use digital sewing patterns along with traditional sewing patterns. Knowing the differences will help you out!
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
Click here to view your Sewing Patterns.
Learn how to use a sewing pattern in this free sewing video. This expert video, How to Use Sewing Patterns, explains the difference between digital and traditional sewing patterns.
Offering the pros and cons of each type of pattern as well as tips and tricks for both, this how-to sew video is a must-see for all sewists.
Whether you are brand new to printable sewing patterns or just need a refresher course, this full video gives you all the information you will need to create flawless projects from sewing patterns.
If you need to know how to use either type of sewing pattern, this video and written guide will have the answers for you. We also have tips and tutorials below the video, so be sure to scroll down to that.
Sign Up For More Free Patterns >>>
Beginners! Learn how to read sewing patterns and symbols with this helpful guide: How to Read a Sewing Pattern
How to Use Sewing Patterns Video Tutorial
This video will walk you through the differences between traditional and digital sewing patterns with examples of the same pattern in both forms. Take a look by pressing the play button on the box below.
How to Use a Sewing Pattern (Traditional)
Traditional patterns are the type you can buy in stores. They usually come in packets containing the pattern and pattern instructions.
A traditional sewing pattern includes pictures of the finished design on the front and information about what you'll need before starting on the back of the packet.
Inside, you'll find the instructions on newspaper print style paper. You will also find the pattern on tissue paper.
How to use traditional sewing patterns/tips:
- Be careful when unfolding as it can tear easily. There may be several sheets depending on the pattern.
- Use scissors to carefully cut out the pattern pieces and then follow the directions.
Cons of using traditional sewing patterns: No duplicates unless multiple packets are purchased. A tear in the tissue pattern piece could ruin the entire process.
Want to preserve your sewing patterns for next time? Read our guide on saving them here: How to Reuse Sewing Patterns
How to Use Digital Sewing Patterns
Digital patterns are printable from the internet. These can include brand patterns (and you can get some of the same patterns digitally as you can in physical form) or bloggers who have created printable PDFs for their original designs.
Digital patterns are all different but the end result should be the same. Included with digital patterns should be materials needed, instructions, and pattern print-outs.
How to use digital sewing patterns/tips:
- Download the pattern and locate the file on your computer.
- Read all of the instructions for printing first.
- Assure your paper size and scale is correct before printing. Print the test pattern first if available to make sure the pattern will print correctly.
- Once printed, follow the assembly guides (such as bars, rectangles, or lines) for cutting. Using regular paper scissors, cut the excess margins or printing lines off first. Then tape them together as directed.
- Cut out the full set of paper pattern pieces and follow directions for the pattern.
Cons of using traditional sewing patterns: A computer/smart device and printer are needed. You may need to download additional software to get or print the pattern, depending on the website/brand. Some designers/bloggers may miss instructions for their original designs.
About the Author:
This tutorial was presented by our friend Angel Peterson at Fleece Fun. Visit her blog along with her designer profile to find more of her projects on AllFreeSewing here: Angel Hickman Peterson
Free Printable Sewing Patterns >>>
Do you use mostly traditional or digital sewing patterns?
Let us know in the comment section below!
Read NextHow to Sew a Button on Pants
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
sinorteresa 087223 1
Mar 10, 2021
I mostly use the traditional patterns. But would like to use digital ones . Is there another link to the video?
Sep 18, 2018
Is there a new link to the video? This one has bee deleted!
May 15, 2018
What great information on digital patterns when you download them. I use the traditional ones but have seen some that I really like for free on some sites but was not comfrontable on how to use them and after watching this video with great information I am ready to give them a try. So if you are not feeling comfrontableabout a digital pattern do yourself a favor and watch this video.
Sep 20, 2017
I use mostly the traditional pattern. Didn't know too much about the Digital ones until this video. Thank you for the information.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
Winter Garden Purse Pattern
Make a purse that will add some green to the grey skies and cold snowy days of winter this season when you make the Winter Garden… Continue reading: "Winter Garden Purse Pattern"
- How to Sew a Button on Pants
- How to Get Started Sewing Clothes
- How to Make Thread Belt Loops
- Sewing Machine Paper Practice Sheets
- Little Details Sewing Tips
- Hand Sewing Practice Sheets
- How to Gather Fabric With Dental Floss
- How to Add Purse Snaps in 5 Minutes
- How to End a Sewing Stitch
- How to Resize a Bra
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite patterns
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your patterns
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Plastic Bags Holders
- Free Cell Phone Bag Pattern
- Why is My Thread Wrapping Around the Bobbin?
- Charleston Beginner Pinwheel Quilt Pattern
- Make A Ruffle Dress From Men's Button Down Shirts
- Free Tie-Hem Shorts Sewing Pattern for Girls
- Easy Girl's Sundress Sewing Pattern
- A Line Dress Pattern For Girls
- Turn Your Old Jeans Into Versatile Denim Belts With Pockets
- 30+ Shirt Dress Patterns Free
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Projects
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners