Sewing Hems: 33 Hemming Tips & Hemline Sewing Projects
Discover tips and tricks on sewing a hem on anything and easy hemline sewing tutorials!
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
Whether you are new to sewing or are an experienced sewist looking for more sewing tips and tricks, this hemming guide is just what you've been looking for! With this article, Sewing Hems: 33 Hemming Tips & Hemline Sewing Projects, you can learn how to hem the edges of your clothing to prevent fraying by checking out the tutorials from the following collection of hemming techniques.
In addition to including tutorials and explanations for sewing different types of hemlines from an invisible hem to a rolled hem, this guide provides some quick tips and shortcuts that you will want to share with all of your sewist friends! For instance, if you hate ironing before hemming, check out the handy tutorial on How to Quickly Press a Hem using a hair straightener below. If you are having difficulties with trying to hem a stretchy, knit fabric, then check out the useful tips on How to Hem Stretchy Fabric.
Lastly, we were sure to include a section on hemline refashioning tutorials that will add some pizzazz to your old wardrobe, as well as a section on clothing sewing patterns with stylish hemlines. Whether you are searching for a DIY upcycling project, sewing pattern, or a hemming tutorial, this guide to hemlines is bound to have something for you!
PLUS! Check out this great video series for beginner sewists on how to hem a skirt!
Table of Contents
If you are new to sewing, check out this article for more basic sewing tips and tricks! How to Sew: Top 25 Sewing Tips and Tricks
How-To Hem: Hemline Tips and Techniques
Trying to figure out what kind of hemline suits your sewing project can be confusing! Luckily, we put together a collection of basic hemming tutorials that will save the day no matter what kind of hemline you need. In our guide, we describe the situations where you might need different types of hems. For instance, if you are sewing a DIY skirt or dress pattern where the hemline can easily be seen, try sewing a hem facing or using a blind hem tutorial. No matter what type of hem you are looking for, we have the hem tutorial for you!
- How to Quickly Press a HemThis video shows a quick trick for using your hair straightener to quickly press a hem!
- How to Hem Lightweight Fabrics TutorialHemming lightweight and delicate sheer fabrics like crepe or chiffon can add an elegant touch to any outfit, but can be difficult to sew. Check out this tutorial for hemming lightweight fabrics easily!
- How to Sew a Rolled Hem Video TutorialThis video shows you how to sew baby hems (also known as tiny hems or rolled hems) for a finished edge that won’t fray!
- How to Sew a Blind HemCheck out this detailed video tutorial on how to sew a blind hem that can't be seen!
- How to Hem GuideIf you hate hemming, then try using this free printable hem guide to help you in the future!
- Hem FacingIf you’re looking for a clean and neat hemline, try this tutorial for sewing a hem facing!
- How to Sew a Blind HemCheck out this tutorial to learn how to quickly sew a blind hem that won't easily be seen!
- How to Sew an Invisible HemThis quick and simple tutorial shows you how to sew an invisible hem by hand!
- How to Hem Stretchy FabricCheck out these tips on how to hem stretchy fabrics that will make this difficult process far easier!
- This simple double fold hem technique is essential for beginner sewists!
- Hem Without Serger & Add Elastic CasingIf you don’t have a serger, try this tutorial for hemming with binding and elastic tape!
Hemline DIY Refashioning Tutorials
This section shows you how to easily refashion your clothing with these easy sewing tutorials for new hemlines! If your jeans are too long, check out this tutorial for hemming your jeans like a pro. Or perhaps try bringing an old shirt or dress back to life by adding the cute scalloped DIY hemline that's first in the list below. This collection will show you how to upcycle everything from pants to shirts with these simple hemline tutorials!
- Scalloped DIY Hemline RefashionUpcycle your old shirts, skirts, and dresses with this DIY scalloped hemline tutorial!
- DIY: Hem Your Jeans Like A ProYou won’t be able to tell you hemmed your jeans with this easy hemline tutorial!
- How to Hem PantsThis video show you how to hem any pair of pants using the straight stitch on your sewing machine!
- How to Hem JeansCheck out this video tutorial to learn how to hem your jeans!
- Thrifty Anthropologie Ruffled Hem SweaterRefashion an old sweater by adding this stylish ruffled hem!
- Blind Hem Stitch Skirt TutorialLearn this blind hem technique to make invisible hemlines for your skirts and dresses!
- How to Hem JeansCheck out this video tutorial for tips on how to hem your jeans and other pants!
- How to Hem Pants with a Sewing MachineThis video tutorial and step by step photo instructions will show you how to hem any pair of pants with a sewing machine!
- Hemming Pants with Your SergerLearn how to use a serger to quickly and easily hem your pants!
- How to Sew a Curved Hem for BeginnersThis easy curved hem tutorial is great for hemming dresses and skirts!
Clothing Sewing Projects with Stylish Hemlines
If you are looking for sewing projects from scratch, check out this selection of easy clothing sewing tutorials that range from DIY shorts to maxi dress patterns! What these sewing patterns all have in common is that these projects all have funky but fashionable hemlines. For instance, the Asymmetrical Hem Dress Tutorial features a stylish asymmetrical hem, while the Seriously Sweet Scalloped Dress below includes a playful scalloped edge. No matter your taste, you are sure to find a sewing tutorial with the perfect hemline for you!
- Asymmetrical Hem Dress TutorialLearn how to sew an asymmetrical hem to make a fashionable DIY dress in only a couple of hours!
- Scooped Hem DIY BlouseAdd a scooped hemline for an elegant touch to this blouse tutorial!
- Tulle Lined Spring SkirtThis girl’s skirt adds a layer of tulle that peeks out beneath the hemline for a princess-inspired look!
- 15 Minute Maxi SkirtLearn how to sew a staggered and pretty hemline with this simple dress tutorial!
- The Carrera TopThis gorgeous shirt design looks like it's right off the runway. Make this stylish DIY shirt that is full of charm and lots of pleats!
- Trendy DIY Circle SkirtThis beginner DIY skirt has a flirty hemline for a playful look! Make it in bright yellow or choose another favorite color of yours.
- Pink Blush Scalloped DIY DressTry using a scalloped hem to make this sophisticated dress!
- Bubble Hem Overall ShortsSew these cute kid’s overall shorts using a bubble hem!
- Cute Ruffly DIY T-ShirtEmbellish your shirt by making this fun DIY ruffled hem!
- Tulip Hem DressTry sewing a tulip hem to make this adorable wrap dress for girls!
- Seriously Sweet Scalloped DressUse a scalloped edge around the hemline, armholes, and neckline of your dress for a chic design!
- Handkerchief Hem Maxi Dress PatternTry sewing this new take on the classic maxi dress with this unusual handkerchief hemline!
Are you looking for more easy sewing patterns? Check out these 16 more simple sewing projects for beginner sewists! Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners
Do you have any tips or tricks for sewing hems? Let us know in the comments below!
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Project of the Day
Go retro using what's in the linen closet with a pillowcase dress pattern for a Sweet and Simple Pillowcase Dress. Make your own… Continue reading: "Sweet and Simple Vintage Pillowcase Dress"
- How to Sew with Elastic
- Guide to Mastering Different Stitches [Infographic]
- How to Sew Canvas
- How to Resize a Bra
- 10 Best Sewing Channels on YouTube
- How to Fix a Bra Band That's Too Tight
- 33+ Beginner Sewing Videos and Tutorials
- How to Read a Sewing Pattern
- Hand Quilted Cotton Gauze Baby Blanket
- Shibori Inspired Denim Bookmarks
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- DIY Fabric Flowers Tutorial (With Free Printable Template!)
- Large DIY Fabric Basket
- DIY One Seam Wrap Skirt
- How to Sew a Robe
- Tooth Fairy Pillow Pattern
- How to Sew Running Stitch
- Baby Skirt Pattern
- Aladdin's Vest
- How to Sew Canvas
- How to make Lavender Bags
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Project
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners