46+ Free Skirt Patterns
Whether you're searching for a casual or dressy skirt, you will find the skirt pattern or how to sew a skirt tutorial you've been looking for!
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
If you want to learn how to sew a skirt, you've found the right collection! With these 46 Free Skirt Patterns to choose from, you're bound to find something you love. All of the following skirt patterns include detailed instructions that will make it easy for you to create your own skirts.
Whether you're looking for something casual, something more formal, or just something quick, we've got a skirt tutorial for you! Whatever you choose, you're sure to head out the door in style. Making skirts is always rewarding because no girl can ever have too many. Dress them up or down, wear them in the summer with bare legs, or sport them in the winter with tights and boots.
Skirts are a staple in every girl's wardrobe. Check out this collection of free skirt patterns and start making your own stylish skirts!
Find more free skirt patterns in our free eNewsletter: Sewing It Up!
Table of Contents
Dressy Skirt Patterns to Sew
If you love getting dressed up for a night out on the town but hate spending money on expensive skirts, then you'll love this list of dressy skirt patterns and tutorials. From mini skirts that will show off your gorgeous legs to designer-inspired skirts that cost only a fraction of the price to make, these stylish skirts are sure to stop everyone in their tracks. These free skirt patterns can easily take you from day to night. Wear them to work with tights and then dress them up with heels for a night out. Go glam this year with these stunning skirt sewing patterns!
- Anthropologie Work SkirtMake this classy sewn project to save money by not buying more expensive clothes for work.
- How to Make a Scalloped Front SkirtMaking your own scalloped skirt is easy with this free sewing pattern.
- Pleated High Waist SkirtFree skirt patterns like this Pleated High Waist Skirt accentuate the smallest part of your torso for a flattering look.
- Date Night Circle SkirtNot only does this beginner sewing tutorial only take an afternoon to make, it also shows you how to create your own skirt pattern from craft paper, which is great if you're on a budget or want to experiment with pattern making.
- Bali the Reversible Skirt PatternThis DIY skirt lives up to its name and is positively enchanting.
- Cotton Candy Pleated Skirt TutorialDitch boring, basic black for this pretty, feminine pink skirt that is perfect for the office or a night out.
- Tulle Snowball SkirtLearn how to sew a skirt that is elegant and charming by following this tutorial.
- How to Make a Skater SkirtIf you're looking for a trendy alternative to body-clinging pencil skirts, this flowy skater skirt is simple, elegant, and appropriate for any work setting.
DIY Designer Ways to Make a Skirt
If you've been searching for ways to make a skirt, then you'll love these DIY skirt ideas inspired by your favorite designers. From classic American sportswear like Michael Kors to pretty and preppy Kate Spade, these designer-inspired sewing projects are a budget-friendly solution to building your dream wardrobe.
- Laser Cut Midi Skirt TutorialMixing vintage style with modern design, this tutorial for how to make a midi skirt is the best way to get the designer look for less this year.
- Simply Summer DIY Wrap SkirtJourney to the French countryside with this gorgeous pastel skirt. You'll look and feel elegant yet comfortable.
- Kate Spade-Inspired Midi SkirtCreate a dreamy skirt that looks stunning with flats or heels with this flirty and feminine designer skirt pattern.
- Mulberry Style Paperbag SkirtWith its unique cinched waist, classic cut, and hint of vintage, this free skirt pattern is perfect for the office.
- DIY Lanvin Ruched Beach SkirtMake a designer-inspired skirt for your summer wardrobe. It's the perfect way to get the high-end look for less. Bonus: this free skirt also doubles as a bathing suit cover-up!
- The Pinwheel SkirtSkip spending too much money on a designer duds. Instead, impress everyone with your sewing skills and make this beautiful skirt yourself.
- J. Crew Inspired Classic SkirtThis free skirt pattern has everything you need to achieve a timeless and sophisticated look. Learn how to sew a skirt that looks as polished as a store-bought piece with this vintage skirt pattern.
- Jil Sander DIY Maxi SkirtThis is a quick and easy sewing project that will soon become a stylish staple in your wardrobe. This maxi skirt tutorial was inspired by the couture style of maxi skirts that have hit the runway.
Casual Skirt Pattern Ideas
While dressy skirts are fantastic for elegant occasions, every woman needs a go-to skirt that they can wear on a day-to-day basis. This list of casual skirt patterns is stylish and functional, meaning they're easy to move in and can be paired with your favorite tees. The best part about these free skirt patterns is that they're simple to make and use easy-to-work-with fabrics like cotton. No matter if you're a stay-at-home mom or if you make that daily trek to the office, these pretty and practical skirts are total must-makes!
- Simple 15 Minute SkirtIf you've got 15 minutes, you've got time for the Simple 15-Minute Skirt! Everyone will be impressed that you made this stylish skirt in such short time. It's a very wearable sewn project.
- Pretty Pockets Gathered Skirt TutorialWho doesn't love a skirt with pockets? This simple yet elegant floral skirt is a staple for any woman's spring and summer wardrobe.
- The Perfect Peggy SkirtRevive this versatile vintage-style skirt for a fresh look.
- Peggy Carter-Inspired Upcycled SkirtWork some vintage magic by recreating this 1940s-style skirt. Even an beginner can learn how to sew this easy skirt pattern!
- Comfy and Carefree Skirt PatternLearn how to make a skirt that is warm and wonderful. This skirt pattern proves you can stay warm and look cute without the bulk!
- How to Sew a Stretchy Knit SkirtYou don't really need a good reason to learn how to sew a skirt. Sometimes your day-to-day wardrobe just needs a new piece! Learn how to make your next casual wardrobe staple.
- Stretchy Pencil Skirt PatternWear this comfortable skirt around the house for chores or around town for a casual brunch.
- Dirndl SkirtLearn how to make your own clothes with this free beginner sewing project for a dirndl skirt. This project features a gathered mini-skirt that is inspired by a traditional German costume.
- Unstoppable Pencil SkirtYou'll feel virtually unstoppable in this DIY pencil skirt. Conquer the day with confidence in this stylish staple.
- Flattering Upcycled DIY SkirtYou'll look and feel good in this skirt you can make from material you already have.
- The Domesticated SkirtThis is a perfect example of how to easily make your own clothes. The skirt magically doubles up as an apron—perfect for the woman who loves cute sewing projects and cute clothes.
- Little Darling DIY SkirtYour little girl will be able to play all day long in this skirt.
- Lovely Lace Skirt TutorialThis lace skirt is the ultimate feminine piece that takes any outfit from simple to chic.
- Any Day Free Skirt PatternMake this skirt to wear out on the town, at home, at work, or anywhere else. Wear it any day you want!
- Pleated Midi Skirt PatternThis light and airy skirt is perfect for a walk in the warm spring sunshine.
Simple Skirt Patterns for Beginners
If you're just learning how to sew, then you'll love these simple ideas for how to sew a skirt! Skirts are some of the easiest sewing projects around, and these are especially beginner-friendly. Choose your favorite silhouette and start sewing!
- Easy Half Circle SkirtDon't spend time stressing over complicated sewing projects. Design a simple and chic skirt that's perfect for spring with this sewing tutorial.
- Super Simple DIY SkirtThis sewing tutorial was practically made for beginners!
- Using just under two yards or fabric (or more, depending on the length of skirt you want to make), this tutorial shows you how to make a simple skirt with just one layer of fabric and a cute bias tape accent.
- Elastic Waistband SkirtMake your own trendy high-waisted skirt with this free skirt tutorial!
- The Ultimate Circle Skirt TutorialThis skirt tutorial includes sizes for newborns all the way up to women's XXL, which means you can make a DIY circle skirt for everyone you know.
- Simple Circle Skirt in MinutesThis low-budget project takes just a few materials and half an hour of your time.
- This simple and flowing free skirt pattern is the type of sewing pattern that is going to come in handy time and time again.
Layered Skirts to Sew
Layered skirts are a fantastic way to inject a little spice into your day-to-day wardrobe. They perfectly embody the popular bohemian trend, so they're perfect for spring and summer. From free skirt patterns that are perfect for embracing your inner hippie to a petticoat that can be worn by itself or underneath a full skirt, these layered skirts are a great way to give your wardrobe a little something extra.
- Ruffled Peplum Skirt TutorialFor an adorable, feminine skirt, just follow these instructions. The unique shape and texture will definitely make you stand out from the crowd.
- Petticoat Sewing PatternFollow this free sewing project to make a petticoat, which can be used to add volume under another skirt or worn by itself.
- Enchanted Layered Chiffon Maxi Skirt TutorialSew a light and floaty maxi skirt whose layers will enchant you. This sewing tutorial puts the perfect spin on your usual maxi skirt and is perfect for any occasion.
- Fluffy Chiffon SkirtHow much fun is it to twirl in a little tutu-like skirt? Make this cute Fluffy Chiffon Skirt for the little girl in your life.
- A Simple Skirt TutorialWhen spring rolls around, it's skirt weather! Check out this skirt pattern and make a two-tiered skirt to try something new.
- Simple Layered Skirt TutorialThis tutorial is a quick and easy beginning to an adorable outfit for your little princess. This girls' skirt pattern tutorial is light and airy, perfect for a summer day.
DIY Skirts for Any Occasion
If you can't get enough skirts, then you'll love our selection of free skirt patterns that are perfect for any occasion. This list of skirt patterns and tutorials is ideal for any and every woman and includes quick sewing projects, figure-flattering patterns, and skirts in every length, from mini to maxi. There's also some fantastic refashioning ideas if you've been looking for ways to breathe new life into your wardrobe. Here's wishing all of you happy sewing!
- Refashioned Mermaid Dress Skirt PatternFrom formal wear to office wear, use this free skirt pattern to create a chic new addition to your wardrobe.
- XOX SkirtThis free sewing pattern will help you learn how to design and make your own clothes, specifically this tiered, ruffled skirt.
- Prom Dress Princess Skirt RefashionTurn an old prom dress into an elegant skirt for less than $10!
- Super Sweet Circle SkirtFor a little more movement in your wardrobe, try this simple tutorial for an adorably stylish skirt.
- 2 Yard Pleated Skirt TutorialIf you've been searching for the perfect lightweight skirt for spring or summer, then you'll fall in love with this two-yard pattern.
- Dish Towel Skirt TutorialThis unique skirt tutorial uses three tea towels to create a skirt that looks expensive without breaking the bank. It can easily be made in a single afternoon.
- Half Circle Skirt TutorialLearn how to make a half-circle skirt that'll flatter any figure.
- Vintage Tablecloth Skirt PatternLearn how to create a wardrobe staple from the most unexpected material with this free skirt pattern.
- 5 Minute SkirtIt takes only five minutes to make this free, easy skirt pattern for beginners!
- Fringe SkirtThis fab creation is fun to wear and move around in. Channel your inner 1920s with this DIY sewing project.
- Sleek Pencil SkirtAdd a tenacious version of a classic piece to your wardrobe by learning how to sew a rad skirt like this one.
- Knit DIY Pencil SkirtTry this skirt tutorial for a cute skirt that hugs your curves in all the right places.
- How to Make a Skirt Fit for a SailorThis vintage sailor skirt is trendy, cute, and sure to make a statement.
- How to Make a Skirt from a Shower CurtainSee it to believe it. Seriously!
DIY Mini Skirt Tutorials
Whether you're searching for the perfect skirt to wear during warm summer weather or a chic mini to wear with your favorite pair of tights and boots during the fall, these DIY mini skirts are all easy skirts for beginner sewists.
- Chalk Lines Mini SkirtStep into fall weather in style with this easy sewing tutorial. You don't have to hide your fabulous legs in long clothes just because cooler weather's moving in!
- Suede Shirttail Mini SkirtInspired by J. Crew, this DIY mini skirt is made in luxurious suede and hits at mid-thigh, so it's the perfect sleek skirt to pair with tees, cardigans, and chunky sweaters. Get the designer look for less!
- Micro Mini Simple Skirt PatternThis adorable skirt pattern is absolutely stunning, comfy, and perfect for warm summer weather. The wool makes it unique, and the fringe gives it a boho vibe.
- Sequined Mini SkirtDon't be afraid to try out a sequined project—learn how to make a skirt that sparkles!
- Modest Maternity Mini SkirtJust because you're pregnant doesn't mean you want to be completely covered up! This mini skirt pattern is both appropriate and fun to wear during your pregnancy.
- How to Sew a T-Shirt SkirtTake a plain t-shirt and turn it into a fun and flirty skirt with this tutorial. This fun recycled sewing project is a great way to makeover a boring tee into a trendy mini-skirt.
Free Maxi Skirt Patterns
When it's hot out, the last thing you want to wear is a tight, clingy skirt! Make a gorgeous DIY maxi skirt that's loose fitting and comfortable with this list of skirt pattern ideas. From dressy maxi skirts that will take you from day to evening to comfy and casual skirts that are perfect for wearing around the house, these maxi skirt patterns are the ultimate in style and comfort.
- Cool Blue DIY Maxi SkirtWhether it’s for a charity ball or a school fundraiser, learning how to sew a maxi skirt is a great way to get you ready for the big night.
- Maxi to Peasant Skirt RefashionTransform an unflattering maxi dress into a stylish and lightweight peasant skirt with this refashioning project.
- Fiesta Wrap Skirt TutorialBe a little bolder than usual and create this DIY wrap skirt to wear the next time you go out to a pool party or summer barbeque.
- Combine the chic, new trend of chevron and the comfy feel of a maxi skirt.
- This dress is super comfy and surprisingly warm. It's a great skirt to wear on a chilly spring day.
- Anthropologie Maxi SkirtThis DIY maxi skirt has a loose, flowing design, so you'll feel like you're in pajamas wherever you go. You can't do better than this designer maxi skirt for style (and price!).
- Pretty Woman DIY Maxi SkirtYou'll feel like a whole new person wearing this maxi skirt. This sewing project combines the length of a maxi skirt with the classic look of pleats for a truly unique look.
- That's a Wrap DIY Maxi SkirtThis DIY wrap skirt is both flattering and comfortable for the spring and summer months. You can wear it with a tank top, a fitted t-shirt, or a button-down blouse—whatever you feel like!
- 15 Minute Maxi SkirtIf you want to wear comfortable clothing while looking stylish, you need to try this quick skirt pattern. Learn to create a playful and unique hemline that makes for a casual but elegant addition to your wardrobe!
Tutorials for How to Make a Skirt
If you've never made a skirt before and are looking for some beginner sewing tutorials, you've come to the right place. From tutorials for how to add a zipper to a skirt to instructions for how to sew a curved hem, this collection of sewing tutorials for beginners is sure to answer all of your skirt sewing questions. We know sewing can seem intimidating at first, but with this collection of DIY sewing tutorials, you'll be able to make a stylish skirt in no time.
- How to Sew a Zipper into a Lined SkirtHere’s how to sew a zipper into a lined skirt the easy way. We'll show you how to sew a zipper into a lined skirt, but this tutorial can be used for many types of lined garments.
- How to Sew a Curved Hem for BeginnersThis tutorial will teach you how to hem a curve the very easy way, so no more frustration or ugly hemlines!
- How To Trace a Sewing PatternThis sewing tutorial is an easy and super-fast solution to get the right sized pattern from a template.
- How to Sew Pockets on a SkirtMake your skirts more functional and cute by following this sewing tutorial.
- How to Line a SkirtOnce you master the art of skirt lining, you'll find out that it can be fun as well as rewarding. It's fun to play around with different fabrics and trims until you find a style that speaks to you.
What's your favorite style of skirt to wear? Let us know below in the comments!
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Diy Face Mask Without Elastic
- 3d Face Mask Pattern+video Instructions
- Sew A Simple Pillowcase In 15 Minutes Flat
- How To Add Snaps To Your Sewing Projects
- Make Quick Gift Bags
- Diy Travel Neck Pillow
- Stuffed Animal Face Mask
- Cactus Finger Puppet
- Sewing With Grommets & Eyelets: Tips, Tricks & Projects
- Perfect Beach Dress For Summer Fun
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Project
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners