53 Free Mug Rug Patterns and Placemat Patterns
Looking for an easy scrapbusting project? Then these DIY kitchen sewing patterns are exactly what you need!
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
It's neither a coaster nor a placemat. Instead, it's a mug rug; a perfectly sized piece of fabric that stands between your coffee cup and your table. If you love quilting or working with fabric scraps, it's time to familiarize yourself with the mug rug. We've put together this collection of free mug rug patterns for you to try. If you're looking for a free quilted mug rug pattern, you're sure to love our selection.
Even if you just enjoy just piecing together leftover fabric scraps, the free mug rug patterns in this collection can inspire you to start creating. Quilted mug rug patterns are fun because they won't take you all day to complete but are just as rewarding! Not to mention, once you set a groove, you can make several in one sitting! Handmade gifts, anyone?
If you're more interested in making the traditional placemat, you'll find placemat patterns in this collection as well. For all those summer gatherings coming up, make festive placemats and napkins to complete your tablescape. All of these free placemat patterns will teach you how to make placemats. They're just right for spring, summer, or any time of year.
Learn how to make placemats you can use for the family dinner table every day, or you can take out for special events. Sewing placemats doesn't have to be too time consuming or boring. Instead, check out these free placemat patterns and you'll see that learning how to sew placemats is simple and fun.
Finally, use our free napkin patterns to learn how to make napkins that match the rest of your kitchen decor. Anyone can learn how to make napkins with the help of these easy-to-follow tutorials. Learning how to make napkins isn't the hard part - trying to decide how to embellish and creatively alter your projects is more difficult! Check out the free napkin patterns included in this collection to complete dining accessory sewing.
Plus, learn how to make a Buttoned Hanging Kitchen Towel with this video tutorial!
Free Mug Rug Patterns
If you've been searching for free mug rug patterns, I'm happy to announce your search is over! We've collected a bunch of free mug rug patterns to show you below. Each has step by step instructions and large color photos so learning how to make a mug rug is effortless! Just gather up your favorite fabric scraps and get ready to create! A simple mug rug pattern offers you the solution of avoiding water or liquid stains on your table surfaces. Similar to a placemat, the mug rug is simply a place for your coffee cup and muffin or afternoon snack to sit. Plus it's pretty to look at! As mentioned before, mug rugs make a great gift too. Choose bright, fun fabric and personalize your mug rug pattern to give to someone special. They'll use it every day and think of you!
Want more DIY kitchen decor? Check out 20+ Patterns to Make Dish Towels!
How to Make Placemats
For the more traditional at heart, check out the free placemat patterns we've also included in this collection. With holidays always around the corner, there are going to be parties, parties, and more parties. Prepare yourself for all of the hosting by learning how to make placemats that are party ready. Even if you've never sewn before, you can learn how to sew placemats easily. Put your creativity to the test by mixing and matching patterns and colors, and creating placemats that are great for your family table. Or, use these placemat patterns to make placemats for a specific event. Either way, these free placemat patterns are here to inspire you!
If you are looking for DIY sewing projects with material you already have at home, check out these sewing project ideas and free sewing patterns by the yard. 100+ Sewing Projects by the Yard
How to Make Napkins
Learn how to make napkins that are quick and easy. Once you see how simple it is to learn how to make napkins, you'll be using reusable, fabric napkins for every meal! That will definitely bring something to the table and it's eco-friendly. With just a few stitches you can make handmade napkins. For beginner sewists, learning how to make napkins is a great place to start.
What kinds of kitchen DIY do you love to make? Let us know below in the comments!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive, partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
- Braided T-Shirt Coaster
- Grandma's Secret Recipe Pot Holders
- Upcycled Pretty Purple Placemat
- Rustic Fabric Bowl Tutorial
- 53 Free Mug Rug Patterns and Placemat Patterns
- 20+ Patterns to Make Dish Towels
- 6 Free Casserole Carrier Patterns + 16 Other Food Transport Ideas
- How to Make Potholders: 25+ Hot Pad Patterns
- Easy Sew DIY Sink Curtains
- Gorgeous Table Runner Patterns: 17 DIY Table Runner Tutorials
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Jeans to Denim Skirt Refashion
- Halloween Mermaid Costume
- Feed Sack Messenger Bag
- Yarn Tote
- Sumatra Batik Fabric Collection
- Pretty Petals DIY Wall Clock
- 130 Free Thanksgiving Sewing Projects: Complete Holiday Guide
- How to Use a Needle Threader
- Thrifty Travel Toothbrush Holder
- Christmas Coffee DIY Drink Cozy
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Project
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners