29 Long Dresses for Summer, Women's Maxi Dresses, and Skirts
By: Kirsten Kwon, Editor of AllFreeSewing.com
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
It's no secret that maxi dresses have been one of this summer's most popular trends. What's not to love? They're slimming, flatter every body type, comfortable and easy to dress up or keep casual. One more thing to love about these long dresses for summer - you can actually make them yourself! Sure, you can find these maxi dresses all over the stores but at a much higher price. As sewists, we're always looking for the DIY option. In this collection you'll find 29 long dresses for summer and women's maxi dresses and skirts. Women's maxi dresses are all the rage and even when summer comes to a close, these pieces can easily carry over into fall by adding on a cute jacket and boots.
If you're new to creating one of these long dresses, learn how to make a maxi dress or how to make a maxi skirt with any of these DIY maxi dress tutorials. If you're planning a vacation, make resort maxi dresses like the Strapless Maxi Dress or the Ruffled Maxi Dress. For an easy DIY maxi dress with a vintage feel, try creating the Vintage Sheet to Maxi Dress project. When you're interested in sewing long skirts, we've provided projects like The Jersey Skirt or The Under Skirt. When it comes to dressing for the season, there's nothing more comfortable and cute than long dresses for summer. Let this collection of long, flowing skirts and women's maxi dresses inspire you to create special pieces that can live in your wardrobe for years to come!
Find more free dress patterns in our 56 Dress Patterns for Sewing.
29 Long Dresses for Summer, Women's Maxi Dresses, and Skirts
Table of Contents:
- Strapless Ruffled Maxi Dresses: a DIY strapless maxi dress fit for the stars.
- Strapless Maxi Dress (shown): Resort maxi dresses are perfect for summer parties.
- The SoHo Maxi Dress: An easy DIY Maxi Dress with funky flair.
- Vintage Sheet to Maxi Dress: Learn how to make a maxi dress from your favorite vintage piece.
- Simple Maxi Dress: Maxi dresses (as simple as this one) are a summer staple for your wardrobe.
- Effortless Caftan Dress: Learn how to make maxi dresses that are as easy as they are gorgeous with this lovely maxi dress pattern.
- Draped Maxi Dress: If you’re seeking long dresses for summer parties, learn how to make a maxi dress like this one. Maxi dresses this cute are reserved for goddesses like you.
- Designer Inspired Caftan Pattern: One of the most popular tutorials on how to make a maxi dress, these instructions will have you dazzling in a DIY maxi dress in time.
- Stripe Play Maxi Dress: You’ll feel so much better on formal or semi-formal occasions after you’ve learned how to make a maxi dress like this one. Black, chic, and elegant, you’ll be the talk of the party in this DIY dress.
- Super Easy Summer Dress: There’s no reason not to learn how to make a maxi dress when it’s this simple. Whip this DIY maxi dress up in no time and wear it out at night for some summer lovin’.
- Kids' Maxi Dress: Why should grown-ups have all the glam? Make your girls some long dresses for summer that they can play in and wear to social events, campfires, church, or wherever their adventures take them.
- NEW! Side Slit DIY Maxi Dress: This dress is comfortable yet very pretty with a side slit and colorful printed fabric. It'll flow with every step, so you'll feel like a goddess!
- NEW! Pretty Girl's DIY Maxi Dress: With a little wildly patterned fabric, your little girl will be free to run around during the summer in this adorable dress.
Find skirt patterns and other free sewing patterns in our collection of Weekend Projects.
- Coral Dress: Free long dress pattern creates one piece that looks like two!
- Knit Peasant Dress Tutorial: Learn to sew dresses that are super-comfy.
- The Cabo Dress T-Shirt Refashion: perfect for the beach or a tropical restaurant.
- Convertible Dress/Skirt (shown): Convert this piece to fit your needs - it works as both a simple skirt and a free long dress pattern.
- A Gathered Dress: Retro long dresses for summer are so in right now. Make a DIY dress that you can dress up or down.
- Colorblock T-Shirt Dress: Keep it casual this season by making long dresses for summer that aren’t too formal. This Colorblock T-Shirt Dress will have you cool, comfy, and cute.
Check our our free eBook, 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses and Other Pretty Projects.
- The Domesticated Skirt: Sew long skirts and you can use them as aprons too!
- DIY Maxi Skirt: Sewing long skirts can pay off in style and comfort.
- The Jersey Skirt (shown): You sew long skirts so you can look cute all year - try this season friendly project.
- The Under Skirt: A free skirt pattern that's totally practical for your wardrobe.
- Anthropologie Ruffled Skirt Tutorial: Dress this one up for work or date night - sewing long skirts has never been this fun.
- Long Patterned Peasant Skirt: Sewing long skirts is the perfect summer project because it lets you practice your skills and results in something beautiful. Take a look at this DIY skirt and try not to fall in love with the summer sewing pattern.
- DIY Denim Skirt: If it’s a casual sewn skirt you’re after, this is your ticket. Sewing long skirts for summer doesn’t have to be on account of formal occasions; cover up and look chic at the same time.
- Fat Quarter Long Wrap Skirt: If you’re one for fat-quarters and want to know the ins and outs of sewing long skirts, this is your project.
- 6 Step Skirt: Take an hour to make a long skirt like this one. It only takes 6 steps to make a skirt for summer that looks fashionable and fun.
- Learn How to Make a One Shoulder Dress with this video tutorial:
What do you love about maxi dresses? Will you be wearing any of these trends this summer or fall?
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Project
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Hanging Tray Holder Tutorial
- Upcycled Sweater DIY Laptop Tote
- DIY Home Doorstop Tutorial
- Car Visor DIY Organizer
- Nesting Fabric Storage Boxes
- Liberty Tea Towel Tutorial
- Simple Quilted Coaster Tutorial: Quilting 101
- How to Sew a Triangle Garland
- Simply Darling Baby Quilt Pattern
- 2 Hour Tunic Dress Tutorial