29 Long Dresses for Summer, Women's Maxi Dresses, and Skirts
Get your summer wardrobe ready with these free dress and skirt patterns that are perfect for warmer weather.
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
It's no secret that maxi dresses have been one of this summer's most popular trends. What's not to love? They're slimming, flatter every body type, comfortable and easy to dress up or keep casual. One more thing to love about these long dresses for summer - you can actually make them yourself! Sure, you can find these maxi dresses all over the stores but at a much higher price. As sewists, we're always looking for the DIY option. In this collection you'll find 29 long dresses for summer and women's maxi dresses and skirts. Women's maxi dresses are all the rage and even when summer comes to a close, these pieces can easily carry over into fall by adding on a cute jacket and boots.
If you're new to creating one of these long dresses, learn how to make a maxi dress or how to make a maxi skirt with any of these DIY maxi dress tutorials. If you're planning a vacation, make resort maxi dresses like the Strapless Maxi Dress or the Ruffled Maxi Dress. For an easy DIY maxi dress with a vintage feel, try creating the Vintage Sheet to Maxi Dress project. When you're interested in sewing long skirts, we've provided projects like The Jersey Skirt or The Under Skirt. When it comes to dressing for the season, there's nothing more comfortable and cute than long dresses for summer. Let this collection of long, flowing skirts and women's maxi dresses inspire you to create special pieces that can live in your wardrobe for years to come!
Plus, don't miss our video on How to Make a Body Form. It's the perfect way to make a dress that fits your body like a dream!
Looking for more dress patterns? Then don't miss our huge list of free dress patterns and tutorials!
One of the best options for a good summer wardrobe are dresses that are lightweight and comfy, and most importantly, not too form-fitting. That's why maxi dresses are so perfect for warmer weather! Their loose and flowly silhouettes keep you cool while still looking elegant, and they tend to be easier to make than more complicated sundresses. If you're new to sewing and can't wait to make your first DIY dress, then this list of free maxi dress patterns and tutorials is exactly what you need. These DIY maxi dresses are ideal for beginner sewists and are a fantastic way to get the designer look for less.
- 1 Hour Maxi Dress TutorialDesign a gorgeous maxi dress that doubles as a skirt in just 1 hour with this 1 Hour Maxi Dress Tutorial.
- A DIY strapless maxi dress fit for the stars.
- Strapless Maxi DressResort maxi dresses are perfect for summer parties.
- An easy DIY Maxi Dress with funky flair.
- Vintage Sheet to Maxi DressLearn how to make a maxi dress from your favorite vintage piece.
- Simple Maxi DressMaxi dresses (as simple as this one) are a summer staple for your wardrobe.
- Effortless Caftan DressLearn how to make maxi dresses that are as easy as they are gorgeous with this lovely maxi dress pattern.
- Draped Maxi DressIf you’re seeking long dresses for summer parties, learn how to make a maxi dress like this one. Maxi dresses this cute are reserved for goddesses like you.
- Designer Inspired Caftan PatternOne of the most popular tutorials on how to make a maxi dress, these instructions will have you dazzling in a DIY maxi dress in time.
- Peasant DIY Maxi DressChannel your inner bohemian goddess for a simple and stunning dress that's a charming choice for spring and summer. This Peasant DIY Maxi Dress is the ultimate combination of style and ease, and is the perfect opportunity to show off your favorite spring prints.
- Super Easy Summer DressThere’s no reason not to learn how to make a maxi dress when it’s this simple. Whip this DIY maxi dress up in no time and wear it out at night for some summer lovin’.
- Kid's Maxi DressWhy should grown-ups have all the glam? Make your girls some long dresses for summer that they can play in and wear to social events, campfires, church, or wherever their adventures take them.
- Side Slit DIY Maxi DressThis dress is comfortable yet very pretty with a side slit and colorful printed fabric. It'll flow with every step, so you'll feel like a goddess!
- Pretty Girl's DIY Maxi DressWith a little wildly patterned fabric, your little girl will be free to run around during the summer in this adorable dress.
- It's a Cinch Maxi TutorialCreate a jaw-dropping maxi dress that's perfect for your next spring or summer event with this It's a Cinch Maxi Tutorial. Made with just two yards of fabric, this easy maxi dress tutorial looks glamorous while being simple to make and is sure to be your go-to dress for your next wedding or graduation.
Other Long Dresses
If you like dresses with a little more structure, or that hit below the knee, then you'll love these long dress patterns and tutorials. Unlike maxi dresses, which are flowy and designed for comfort, these easy sundresses have a more feminine shape, with fitted waists that will show off your curves. These free dress patterns are ideal for dressier occasions and are guaranteed to show off your beautiful legs! Plus, their fitted structure adds an air of ladylike elegance to your ensemble, which is perfect for vintage clothing lovers.
- Boho Scarf Maxi DressForget going to the fabric store, raid your closet or thrift store for lightweight scarves to make this Boho Scarf Maxi Dress!
- Coral DressFree long dress pattern creates one piece that looks like two!
- Knit Peasant Dress TutorialLearn to sew dresses that are super-comfy.
- The Cabo Dress T-Shirt RefashionPerfect for the beach or a tropical restaurant.
- Convertible Dress/SkirtConvert this piece to fit your needs - it works as both a simple skirt and a free long dress pattern.
- A Gathered DressRetro long dresses for summer are so in right now. Make a DIY dress that you can dress up or down.
- Colorblock T-Shirt DressKeep it casual this season by making long dresses for summer that aren’t too formal. This Colorblock T-Shirt Dress will have you cool, comfy, and cute.
If you love separates, and being able to mix and match your wardrobe, then this collection of DIY long skirts is just what you need. Made with comfort and practicality in mind, these free skirt patterns can easily go from casual to dressy, depending on what you pair them with, and range from tea length skirts (that hit mid-calf) to floor length maxi skirts, so there's a ton of options for your wardrobe. These DIY skirts are also extremely easy to sew, so they're very beginner friendly, and their light and loose structures are great for warm weather.
- 2 Yard Pleated Skirt TutorialIf you've been searching for the perfect lightweight skirt for spring or summer, then you'll fall in love with this 2 Yard Pleated Skirt Tutorial. Made using 2 yards of gingham, this DIY skirt tutorial has a classic 1950s silhouette and can easily be dressed up or dressed down.
- The Domesticated SkirtSew long skirts and you can use them as aprons too!
- DIY Maxi SkirtSewing long skirts can pay off in style and comfort.
- The Jersey SkirtYou sew long skirts so you can look cute all year - try this season friendly project.
- The Under SkirtA free skirt pattern that's totally practical for your wardrobe.
- Dress this one up for work or date night - sewing long skirts has never been this fun.
- Long Patterned Peasant SkirtSewing long skirts is the perfect summer project because it lets you practice your skills and results in something beautiful. Take a look at this DIY skirt and try not to fall in love with the summer sewing pattern.
- DIY Denim SkirtIf it’s a casual sewn skirt you’re after, this is your ticket. Sewing long skirts for summer doesn’t have to be on account of formal occasions; cover up and look chic at the same time.
- Fat Quarter Long Wrap SkirtIf you’re one for fat-quarters and want to know the ins and outs of sewing long skirts, this is your project.
- 6 Step SkirtTake an hour to make a long skirt like this one. It only takes 6 steps to make a skirt for summer that looks fashionable and fun.
- Maxi to Peasant Skirt RefashionEveryone has that one dress hanging in the back of their closet that never gets worn. Transform an unflattering maxi dress into a stylish and lightweight peasant skirt with this Maxi to Peasant Skirt Refashion.
Check our our free eBook, 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses and Other Pretty Projects. 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses free eBook
What do you love about maxi dresses? Will you be wearing any of these trends this summer or fall?
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive, partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Jeans to Denim Skirt Refashion
- Halloween Mermaid Costume
- Feed Sack Messenger Bag
- Yarn Tote
- Sumatra Batik Fabric Collection
- Pretty Petals DIY Wall Clock
- 130 Free Thanksgiving Sewing Projects: Complete Holiday Guide
- How to Use a Needle Threader
- Thrifty Travel Toothbrush Holder
- Christmas Coffee DIY Drink Cozy
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Project
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners