Flirty Ruffle Sleeve Dress Pattern (Free)
Download these free sewing pattern PDFs and make this gorgeously feminine ruffle dress.
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
I absolutely love the feeling of spring. There’s a change in the air that brightens my mood and wardrobe in the most refreshing way.
After months of chilly days bundled up in layers of navy, black, and brown, I’m especially excited to add a few handmade pieces in a contrasting, bright palette. To celebrate that change, today I created an easy spring dress design for you: this Flirty Ruffle Sleeve Dress Pattern.
This dress comes with a super-simple and free printable pattern and full tutorial. This cute DIY dress can be completed in about two hours! The waist sash defines your waist in a comfortable way that completely takes the guesswork out of sewing the perfect fit.
You can also lengthen and shorten the hemline of this DIY dress to create midi dresses, maxi dresses, and the mini dress pictured in this tutorial. That’s the joy in handmade clothes after all right? You get to add your own personality and hack the pattern to make it your own.
As for materials, a lightweight polyester, cotton, or linen will work beautifully. I chose a Crepe Satin to sew the photographed dress and love the drape and texture it provides.
Making this ruffle sleeve dress is the perfect way to get started dressmaking. The pattern is straightforward and the tutorial is simple to follow with only 10 total steps! If you are not very experienced in sewing, this is a great place to start.
Project TypeMake a Project
Time to CompleteIn an evening
- Flirty Ruffle Sleeve Dress Pattern Instructions PDF
- Flirty Ruffle Sleeve Dress Pattern PDF (read through the instructions PDF before printing this pattern)
- Main fabrics: silk, satin, crepe satin, lightweight cotton, and polyester
- Sewing machine with standard sewing machine needle and twin needle for hemlines
- All-purpose polyester thread
- Scissors and other standard sewing notions
- Tape for pattern
Not only is this collection beginner-friendly, but it’s also 100% printable! You don’t have to pay an arm and a leg to get premium sewing patterns here. With these free PDF patterns and your home printer, you could transform your home into a beginner sewist’s paradise! Find the collection here: 40+ Printable Sewing Patterns for Beginners
Ruffle Sleeve Dress Tutorial:
Note: Click on any image to enlarge.
Download the dress instructions PDF and read through before starting. The instructions PDF has a lot of important information, such as illustrations of the front and back, supplies needed, fit guide, measurement chart, pattern inventory, steps for getting started, instructions, glossary, notes page, and pattern assembly plus tips for printing the pattern. Once you read through the instructions and print if desired, print the ruffle dress pattern PDF and put the pieces together.
Lay the dress front and dress back on top of each other with the right sides together. Pin and sew the shoulder seams and side seams with a standard straight stitch at 1/2" seam allowance. Finish the inseam to your preference.
Use bias tape to finish the neckline of the dress (click here to learn how to make your own bias tape).
Fold the bottom hemline 1" under and iron and pin into place. Sew using a twin needle to create a finished hemline. Press.
Hem one long side of the ruffle sleeve using either a narrow hem with a standard sewing machine or a rolled hem using a serger.
Fold the ruffle sleeve in half "hot dog style." Pin and sew along the short edge to create a loop.
Gather the opposite, unfinished edge of the ruffle sleeve.
Tip: You can gather using a straight stitch on your sewing machine by setting your stitch length to the longest stitch length possible and adjusting the tension to a higher setting.
Pin and sew the gathered sleeve ruffles to the sleeve openings. make sure the right sides are together.
Take the waist sash piece and fold it in half "hot dog" style. Sew along the raw edge to create a long, narrow tube. Then, flip it inside out to make a sash.
Try on your new dress! Tie the sash around your waist and snap a photo of your new, adorable dress!
This sewing dress tutorial was written by Lisa Mecham from Creative Fashion Blog. Her site is full of helpful tutorials and patterns for sewing, along with much more for everyday life. For more sewing tutorials like this, find her projects on AllFreeSewing by visiting her designer profile here: Lisa Mecham from Creative Fashion Blog
Read on for our 38 Modern Sewing Patterns for Women collection >>
What is your favorite length for dresses?
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Homemade Wooden Sewing Box
- Simple Burlap Flower
- Floral Mini Quilt Pattern
- Easy Pleated Blouse Free Sewing Pattern
- 3/4 Sleeve Summer Blouse
- DIY Face Mask Using a Sock (No-Sew)
- 40 Home Projects to Sew During Quarantine Time
- Sewing Project Plan (Free Printable)
- What Kind of Filter Should You Put in a DIY Face Mask?
- Hymn Embroidery Pattern
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Project
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners