29 Halloween Costume Ideas
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
For that time of year when witches, goblins, and ghosts are the norm, you probably want to dress yourself and your little ones in something trendy. To keep up with appearances this fall, we’ve collected these 29 Halloween Costume Ideas to sew – or not! If you find inspiration from these homemade Halloween costumes, thank our lovely Facebook and FaveCrafts Blog friends for thinking up and trying out these truly easy costumes to make. These Halloween costume ideas are foolproof and fit for last-minute emergencies. Even if it’s October 31st and you don’t have a scrap of fabric in the house, this roundup of easy Halloween costume ideas can give you a quick fix. Enjoy this frightfully fun collection of Halloween costume ideas!
29 Halloween Costume Ideas
- My mother once picked up two brown kitchen rugs, sewed them so she had arm holes and a place to put her head through...messed up her hair and went as a cave woman! Truth!
- Ghost = Sheet with a couple of holes, LOL.
- Adam & Eve!!
- My mom did a hillbilly woman. Nightgown, mismatched socks and her hair in rags.
- Princess, use a nightgown and add a cape and crown.
Looking for more Halloween costume ideas? There are plenty in our collection of Craft Ideas for Halloween: 64 DIY Halloween Costumes and More.
- Clown. Using a sweat suit and homemade ruffles!
- My mom once painted each side of a box a different color, then painted a grid on each side, cut a hole for my head and one on each side for my arms, leaving the bottom open, then I wore a black turtle neck, pants, socks, gloves, and shoes. She pulled my hair back in a ponytail. I was a Rubik's Cube, I think the whole thing cost about $1.50.
- I used to go as a bum, very easy, I just used my dad's old clothes and used some burnt charcoal; to make me look like I had a beard. A stick and a bag hung over my shoulder and I looked like a hobo.... Nice memories.
- Toilet paper mummy suits. ROFL!
- I remember going as a baby and making a diaper out of a sheet, wearing a white t shirt and having a bottle.
- Black cat: Black sweat pants & shirt, black head band, glue or sew on ears, black eyeliner on face for whiskers, then make a tail and pin it on.
- Used a black sweat suit and cut out bat wings out of black fabric. Used a pink sweatshirt and stitched a care bear motif on the front. Sweat suits are a great base for lots of costumes.
- Toilet...long skinny box for the tank...smaller square for the bowl glued on the front...cut round hole in bowl box for the candy.
- A playing card. Use a king size pillowcase and cut felt hearts, diamond out and go as an Ace of hearts, etc.
- My son rolled himself in a white blanket & added a sign tied around his neck that said, "Please don't squeeze the Charmin."
- A baby bumble bee - yellow jogging suit and electrical tape for stripes.
- A snow man, made from my sister’s old long johns stuffed with old clothes and towels.
- My mom gave herself a faux milk mustache and hung a sign on her shirt that said "Got Milk," back when those commercials were popular, it was cute :)
- Superman/girl, blue cape, blue long-sleeve t-shirt with letter S emblem.
- My brother and I were Martians every year. We used lots of tin foil.
For more DIY Halloween costumes, download our free eBook, Homemade Halloween Costumes: 11 Kid’s Halloween Costume Ideas.
- Gangrene – it’s a group costume. Participants wear green hefty bags and green socks. Muwahahaha!
- I'm working on a Cleopatra costume now. White dress, gold collar and belt with some bling.
- I once wore tights and a leotard, with a dry cleaning bag over them, filled with balloons. I was a bag of jellybeans!
- My niece went as a smarty pants once. She pinned smarty candies all over her pants!
- Ballerina!! Tights, skinny tee shirt, little bit of netting for a skirt, ribbon to tie around the waist and pony-tail. Easy-peasy.
- I attached purple balloons to a black cat suit, played the saxophone, and went as “I Heard It Through the Grapevine!
- I remember my grandmother making a costume for me out of a pair of pajamas. She made a hood and bunny ears and a fluffy yarn pom-pom for a tail. She sewed it altogether, and away I went on Halloween as a bright yellow bunny with a basket instead of a bag to collect my treats in.
- I was a table once. My mother cut a hole in a box and put it over my head. She put a paper plate around my neck and a table cloth over the whole thing. Best costume ever. I was beheaded.
- The first one I remember wearing to school was a headless horseman costume that I talked my mom into making . . . She took my dad’s white button-up shirt and starched the collar really good and tied a cape around the neck area and then placed it on top of my head, making sure my head wouldn’t slide through. I rigged a peep hole through an open spot at the button and carried a plastic jack o’ lantern.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Project of the Day
If you are looking for a great homemade gift idea, this homemade slipper pattern will do the trick. Easily created from an old pair of… Continue reading: "How to Make Slippers From Jeans"
- Crazy Circus Animal Cookie Costume
- Football Pumpkin Fun
- How to Make Your Own Halloween Costumes: 9 DIY Halloween Costumes eBook
- Kitty Cat Headband
- The Strongest Baby Onesie
- 50+ Homemade Halloween Costumes for the Whole Family
- DIY Halloween Costumes and Halloween Sewing Projects
- Belle Princess Cape Pattern
- Halloween Pillow DIY Wreath
- Daisy Halloween Costume
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Insulated Baby Bottle Cover Free Sewing Pattern
- Easy Summer Tunic Free Pattern
- Balloon Sleeve Puffy Top Sewing Tutorial
- Free Upcycled Baby Shoes Pattern
- Diy Reusable Makeup Remover Pads
- Diy Travel Toothbrush Roll Bag
- Free Popsicle Holder Sewing Pattern
- Beach Towel Bag Sewing Tutorial
- Make A Cat Hammock In 30 Minutes
- To The Nines! ~ A Pretty Block Of The Week Quilt
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Project
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners