We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
"This long hooded cloak pattern is easy to follow and is perfectly priced at free! A FULL length hooded cloak that's a free pattern with step by step instructions! Perfect for Halloween! It’s easy to sew up ( honestly the longest part is assembling the pattern). It has a couple of different lengths and is sure to add a little drama to any costume."
Project TypeMake a Project
Time to CompleteIn an evening
- 3.75 yards of Fleece, or Jersey knit for exterior
- 0.5 yards of fleece or jersey knit for hood lining
1 yard of leather cording ( or ribbon)
Sewing Essentials (scissors, pins, etc.)
You will need to assemble the pattern. For instructions on how to assemble the pattern see link.
Cut out the pieces to the cape- To save you from endless pattern assembly the cape pattern piece doubles as the back piece and the front pieces (yay for saving trees). However this means that you need to do a couple of different things when you cut out the pattern. I’ve sewn for 2 decades and have never come across a designed like this = so even if you’re a seasoned sewist you need to pay attention.
Each pattern piece is actually 2 pattern pieces – you will cut down the pieces to make it the next pattern piece ( for example you will cut out the exterior of the hood, cut down the pattern piece and then cut the interior).
Cape section: Cut the pattern to the length you want (there are two – I’m 5’4" and the shorter length was good for me).
Cut 1 of the back piece – place the pattern piece with the BLUE line on the fold. There will be lip of paper (.5 inches) that hangs over the edge of the fabric. This will make 1 large back piece. Now Cut the pattern piece to become the front piece. Cut on the red lines at the neck, and at the bottom (curve up so you don’t trip on the cape). Then place on folded fabric making sure ENTIRE pattern i son the fabric (no paper lip hanging over). Cut out pattern making two pieces for the front. Note: to conserve on fabric I turned the pattern around – this might not work with some pattern
Cut out the hood- On doubled Fabric, cut two of the hood exterior. Then cut down pattern piece on the red line. On doubled fabric cut two of the hood lining.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
45 Free Printable Sewing Patterns
75+ Free Dress Patterns for Sewing
Beach Towel Dress
How to Make Lingerie Tutorials
How to Make Clothes: 500+ Tutorials for Making Your Own Clothes
200+ Sewing Projects for Beginners
35+ Figure Flattering Free Sewing Patterns
11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies Free eBook
Ten Minute Pillowcase Apron
38 Modern Sewing Patterns for Women
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Stuffed Owls Sewing Pattern
- Playing Card Holder Pattern
- DIY Pillow Pet-Inspired Puppy Plush
- Clippable and Zippable Zipper Pouch Tutorial
- PDF Patterns: Sewing Tips and Tricks
- How to Use a Twin Needle
- How to Make a Tote Bag With Leather Handles
- How to Choose Fabric for Sewing Clothes
- American Girl Mod Dress Sewing Pattern
- Refashioned Dress into a Kamino Top
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Project
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners