100 Free Sewing Tutorials: DIY Organizers, Patterns for Women's Dresses & More
From dress making tutorials to DIY organizers, you won't want to miss these 100 free sewing projects!
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
All year long we've provided different kinds of sewing projects, tutorials, and ideas. Now we've rounded them all up to determine the most loved ideas of the year. Here are the projects readers like you chose as the top sewing tutorials of 2012. Discover or revisit the best projects of the year and stick with us; you'll love what we have in store for 2013!
Plus, don't miss our video on how to make an easy sewing organizer from guest blogger Mary Beth Temple!
Table of Contents
For more easy sewing projects, download our free eBook, Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners. Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners
We can't think of a better time to get organized than right at the start of a new year. Start off 2013 the right way by creating some of these DIY organizers. Keep all of your craft supplies in order with these simple DIY craft organization ideas. Let these tutorials show you how to make a fabric box that's perfect for storing the kids' small toys and books. These handy DIY organizers will truly help you transform your living space from cluttered to tidy.
- Divided Basket and Changing Pad PatternMade with a 1/2 yard of main fabric and lining, this free baby sewing pattern is perfect for new moms and is a quick and easy DIY gift for your next baby shower.
- Fabric Storage BoxesThis fabric box pattern is cute and useful!
- Door OrganizerThis free easy sewing pattern is so simple to make and will save you a ton of hassle in the future.
- Gathered Round BasketGrab some of your favorite leftover fabric and create a Gathered Round Basket or several.
- Denim OrganizerUse the pant legs of old jeans for this cute, recycling sewing project to keep your teen neat and organized.
- Hanging Jewelry HolderThe Hanging Jewelry Holder is great for home and if you're looking for how to make a travel jewelry case, it's easily transportable!
- Fabric Basket TutorialNeed a way to organize your kids' rooms? Learn how to sew a basket with this Fabric Basket Tutorial. They make great baby shower gifts!
- French Desk Set Basket LinerInstead of letting magazines and table books clutter your home, make this lovely French Desk Set Table Liner and neatly organize your reading materials and other belongings.
- Mail Organizer TutorialKeep all your mail organized in a stylish way with this wonderful sewn project.
- This car organizer sewing pattern is perfect way to entertain kids and unruly passengers on long car trips.
- DIY Sunglasses HolderThis easy sewing project has room for all your sunglasses and your future pairs!
Free Skirt Patterns
One of the best types of sewing projects for beginners are simple skirt patterns, since they're quick and easy to make. These sewing tutorials for women's clothes features skirts for every occasion and are great projects to instantly update your wardrobe.
- Simple Gathered Skirt TutorialTreat your daughter to a lightweight and comfortable skirt that's perfect for warm spring weather with this Simple Gathered Skirt Tutorial.
- The Pinwheel SkirtSkip spending too much money on a designer duds instead impress everyone with your sewing skills and make this beautiful skirt yourself.
- Polka Dot SkirtThis stylish skirt sewing pattern is flowly, sits higher on the waist and is belted with a bow.
- The Anthropologie Ruffled Skirt Tutorial is a beautiful project that will look good on any body type.
- 15 Minute Tuxedo SkirtThis 15 Minute Tuxedo Skirt is sleek and modern. It is the perfect look for an interview or important office meeting.
DIY Dress Patterns
In 2012 we added several new dress patterns to the site. These free dress patterns received a lot of attention and rightfully so! Our free dress patterns make for a simple and lovely outfit choice, no matter what the occasion. Explore our patterns for women's dresses and learn how to sew dresses that are comfortable and pretty.
- Striped Summer Dress TutorialThis sleeveless dress has a v-neckline in the front and back, an elastic waistband, and very useful front pockets.
- Golden Goddess GownLearn how to sew a dress that you can use for any occasion, and no one will ever know it's the same dress.
- Grecian SundressGathered at the neck, this flowy sundress sewing pattern is super easy to make.
- Impossibly Easy Maxi DressIf you've ever searched for a maxi dress with just the right pattern or length, search no more.
- How to Sew a Cute Summer Sun DressThis adorable sundress pattern will make you look and feel fabulous all summer.
- Effortless Caftan DressPerfect for summer, this breezy dress transitions well from day to night.
- Coral DressCan you believe this adorable dress can be made with a $3 top and some cotton knit fabric?
- 30 Minute Sheath DressThis jersey dress can be worn during the day with a blazer for some office style or all alone out on the town.
- Super Easy Summer DressRequiring little time to put together, you can transform your jersey into a cool and comfortable maxi dress just in time for dinner or a backyard barbeque.
- The SoHo Maxi Dress TutorialThis free long dress pattern delivers an outfit perfect for summertime parties and outings.
Free Purse Sewing Patterns
Some of the most popular projects of the year had to be bags and purses. The free purse sewing patterns we offer on the site deliver fun and simple ideas sewists of all skill levels can complete. Once you know how to sew your own purse, you won't be able to stop!
- Spring DIY Basket Tote PatternTreat yourself to a gorgeous new tote bag that's perfect for spring or summer with this Spring DIY Basket Tote Pattern.
- One Hour BagLearn how to make a purse in one hour with this stunning free purse pattern for sewing.
- Gathered ClutchThis free purse sewing pattern is a new take on the traditional clutch.
- Rope HandbagThis accessory is as perfect for a day of relaxation on the sandy beach as it is for a night on the boardwalk.
- Arabesque BagThis bag looks absolutely stylish and would make a fantastic gift for a friend.
- Big n Beautiful Betty BagIf you are looking for a free purse pattern that is practical, lovely, fashion-forward, and big enough to hold everything you might possibly need, this sewn bag pattern is going to be your new best friend.
- Sweater Weather Bonfire BagCreate a stylish fall bag without spending a fortune by following this fun tutorial for this Sweater Weather Bonfire Bag.
- Basic Purse OrganizerThis purse organizer pattern is easy to make and will show how to sew lining in a bag.
- Ramen Noodle Zippered Coin PurseNo need to use spare change on buying a coin purse, learn how to make a coin purse from your soup wrapper!
- Cute Japanese Coin PurseThe best sewing patterns are quick, easy, and adorable, and you will find that this coin purse has all three of these qualities.
- Learn how to sew a purse with this pretty pattern.
- Buttercup BagThis purse is stylish and the perfect size for a day of shopping.
- With multiple pockets in the main compartment and a sleek, stylish design, the Blossom Shoulder Bag is every girl's dream bag.
- The Not Just Another Free Purse Pattern is a sewing tutorial that will show you exactly how to make an amazing new bag.
- Always a Bridesmaid's ClutchCheck out this project to learn how to sew a fabric clutch all your bridesmaids will really love.
How to Make a Tote Bag
Tote bags are great sewing projects for beginners because they're super simple to make and typically can be sewn in less than an hour. Whether you're headed to the beach, to the library, or just need some extra storage for a long road trip, these easy DIY tote bags are the projects you've been searching for.
- Twenty Minute ToteThis tote bag pattern is one of our most popular projects and it is easy to see why!
- Summer Fruit DIY Grocery BagMaking your own DIY grocery bags for trips to the market is a must-make project that will stay with you from years to come.
- A Handibag From A PillowcaseLearn how to make a tote bag perfect for running errands in just 5 easy steps!
- Patchwork ToteThis is the perfect example of a lovely project that can be made from leftover materials.
- 5 Step Market ToteLearn how to make a tote bag in just five easy steps when you explore this grocery bag pattern idea.
- Totes Big and SmallTotes Big and Small is an easy peasy sewing project that you won't want to stop making.
- Diverse Drawstring SackThis Diverse Drawstring Sack is a fun and cool way to make a backpack.
- Hobo Dance BagThe Hobo Dance Bag can be decorated as seen here, or for a more adult version use a different logo or go without.
- Large Tote with Rounded OpeningLearn how to make a tote bag for all types of travel with this tutorial for a Large Tote with Rounded Opening.
- Hanging Trash BagWith this easy sewing project, your car will stay clean and tidy.
- Quick Trip Diaper BagThis diaper bag tutorial will show you how to create a handy bag that makes carting around and organizing baby must-haves a breeze.
- Follow the EZ Grocery Bag Tutorial to create reusable grocery bags that are cute and good for the environment.
Clothing Patterns for Kids
Explore the simple sewing projects for kids everyone loved the most this year. Knowing how to sew is such a valuable skill for parents because sewing for kids is more affordable than purchasing new clothes.
- Snow White DIY Dress Up ApronThis simple DIY princess costume is versatile, so that your children can easily wear this apron to play a quick game of dress up!
- Pretty Baby DIY Peasant TopLet your little lady have some boho flair with this precious Pretty Baby DIY Peasant Top.
- Fleece Pants PatternThis free printable sewing pattern comes in several sizes with a free pdf pattern for sizes all the way up to a child's size 7/8.
- Jolly Holiday Dress PatternYou can make your daughter or granddaughter the perfect holiday dress that she'll love showing off with this stunningly pretty Jolly Holiday Dress Pattern.
- Boys Free Tank TopHave active boys in your house? You need to make a few of these easy tank tops.
- Baby Burp Cloth and Bib SetsCreate a lovely bib and burp cloth set by following these easy-to-understand instructions.
- Pinkalicious Baby BlanketWith just a few bright fabrics, you can create a free quilt pattern that's girly and fun.
Doll and Toy Ideas for Kids
Parents know how expensive a trip to the toy store can be, so why not save your budget and create some thrifty homemade toys that you can easily personalize. These DIY toy projects are great for children of all ages and are the perfect way to say 'I love you'.
- Sock Sloth Plushie PatternThis adorable sock sloth, made by upcycling those fuzzy socks we all know and love, is a the distant cousin to the tube sock monkey.
- Pretty Woman DressThis doll clothes pattern is a great way to use up scraps as well as a fantastic, homemade gift to give your daughter or granddaughter.
- How to Make a Bedside OrganizerMake a bedside organizer and leave your nightstand uncluttered with books and magazines.
- Butterfly Garden QuiltLearn how to perfectly square up a quilt block so that your next quilt can be perfectly square and in place.
- Tilly the TurtleCombine some handwork and some machine sewing to create an adorable turtle you'll love to keep or give as a gift.
- How To Sew A Marble MazeThis is a free PDF sewing pattern and tutorial for a cute little fabric marble maze toy for kids.
- Quilted Snakes and Ladders PlaymatIt's a great gift idea for young and all, and inspires family together time.
DIY Handmade Gifts
The best gifts to give and receive are the ones that truly come from the heart. Nothing says thoughtful like gifts that are handmade! If you're creating a gift for a friend, a co-worker, a neighbor or a family member, check out these inexpensive handmade gifts. Not only will you save money, you'll give them something unique and special.
- One Hour Mini Crib SheetsThis project is easily customizable: you can make these fitted sheets according to the measurements of the crib mattress!
- Granny Chic SlippersWith a few girly additions, this easy sewing project can also make for a cheap gift.
- How to Make Slippers From JeansIf you are looking for a great homemade gift idea, this homemade slipper pattern will do the trick.
- Baby Gift Zipper PouchThe Baby Gift Zipper Pouch is great for toting around diapers and other small baby necessities.
- Lace AngelsThese angels are thrifty to make and they are gorgeous decor for the holiday season.
- Coffee Cozy With ButtonIf you are a caffeine-addict, an early-morning commuter, or just know someone who never puts the coffee down, this easy sewing project is the perfect project to make in an afternoon.
- Casual T Shirt ScarfWith just a few stitches, you can turn a regular tee into your new favorite accessory for spring.
- Winter WarmersYou can even make this easy winter craft from old flannel pajamas you already own.
- Cozy Slippers TutorialNo one can ever have too many pairs of comfy slippers, and this easy tutorial is a great way to customize the slippers you make for yourself and gift to others.
- Ruffled Kindle CaseLearn how to make a cover for a kindle that adds personality to any of those e-readers.
- How to Sew a Wine ToteInsulated batting on the inside keeps the wine cold during transit and adds extra security you might not get with just one layer of fabric.
- Easy and Cheap Apron for HostessIf you need to make a gift for your hostess in a pinch, the Easy and Cheap Apron for Hostess is your go-to project.
Quick and Easy Sewing Projects
If there's one thing our readers love, it's quick and easy sewing projects. Whether you're short on time, cash, or fabric, these beginner sewing projects are the best way to spend your afternoon.
- One Hour Glamorous DIY Pillow This cushion's simple shape paired with the splash of gold is the modern style statement that you've been looking for!
- Scrappy Make up PouchGive your make up bag a bit of personality by adding a printed image on the front. With so many patterns to sew purses out there, this out stands out!
- Hot PipingThese little bags are great for keeping hands and feet warm in the winter as well as soothing cramps, ear aches, and miscellaneous maladies.
- Let this Christmas sewing project spread the holiday cheer in your home.
- How to Make a Gathered Fabric FlowerMake fabric flowers for your hair, your clothes, or just to have around the house!
- Pattern WeightsEvery sewist needs their own set of fabric or pattern weights, so why not make your own? These Pattern Weights are the perfect sewing accessory to make for yourself.
- Sewing CaddyWith pockets for all your needles and scissors, this simple sewing project is a great way to stay organized.
Kitchen Sewing Patterns
Pretty meets practicle with these DIY kitchen projects. From pot holder patterns to elegant napkin ideas, these kitchen sewing projects are quick and budget-friendly ways to add a touch of class to your favorite room.
- Double Pot Holder with Pockets TutorialThis Double Pot Holder with Pockets Tutorial is the perfect DIY gift idea for the cooking enthusiast in your life, and shows you how to make handy double pot holders using floral printed cottons.
- Recycled Denim Oven MittWant something crafty and trendy to use in your kitchen? The Recycled Denim Oven Mitt is an easy sewing project.
- Scrappy Hot PadThis is one of the best ways to use up fabric scraps. It is practical, cute, and extra-stylish. Learn how to sew a pot holder when you make the Scrappy Hot Pad pattern.
- Quilted Oven MittsIf you've always wanted to learn how to make quilted pot holders, let this easy to follow tutorial lead the way.
- How to Make a Jean ApronLooking for what to make with old jeans? Re-purpose your old jeans with jean refashioning projects!
- Vintage Button Kitchen CurtainsThese Vintage Button Kitchen Curtains look great in a kitchen or hanging from a bedroom window to add some quirky flair to your sleeping space.
- Rolled Kitchen TowelsThe Rolled Kitchen Towels craft project uses kitchen towels to offer a green solution to keeping things dry and clean.
DIY Home Decor Ideas
One of the best things about having sewing skills is your ability to make home accessories yourself! All of our DIY home decor ideas are simple and easy to make. They'll help you spruce up your living space without having to spend a lot of money on expensive decor.
- Summer Cottage DIY Home DecorTurn an old screen into some beautiful home decor by combining crafting and embroidery with this easy sewing project.
- Pottery Barn Inspired PillowThis pillow is inspired by ones you'd find at Pottery Barn and are sure to compliment your home with warm colors and a stylish feel.
- Minky Ultimate Couch BlanketLet this free tutorial show you how to sew a blanket that's bound to become a family favorite.
- The Happy Couple BlanketWhen one of you loves a warmer blanket and the other prefers to be a bit cooler while sleeping, learn how to sew a blanket that delivers the best of both worlds!
- Placemats and Napkins for KidsYou can sew these up in no time and really dress up the table.
- Making Dining Chair SlipcoversMaking dining chair slipcovers has never been easier than with this loose, flowy pattern.
Beginner Sewing Patterns for Everyone
If you're new to sewing and have been searching for the perfect project to get you started, then these beginner sewing patterns are exactly what you need. This list contains easy refashioning projects and practical gifts, so there's something for everyone.
- Frayed One Hour Infinity ScarfThis Fringed One Hour Infinity Scarf is an easy way to put the finishing touches on any outfit!
- Dollar Shirts Never Looked So GoodLearn how to transform a blah shirt into a beautiful blouse with this lovely idea.
- Fabric Labels TutorialLearn how to make your own fabric labels so your sewing projects are all you from start to finish!
- Grandpa CardiganMake a comfy Grandpa Cardigan, just like the kind grandpa used to wear.
- H&M Knock-Off Cowgirl DressThis H&M Knock-Off Cowgirl Dress pattern uses cheap and simple unpcycling techniques to make an adorable little dress with a western feel.
- 30 Minute Caftan TopWith a beautiful flowy shape this top is perfect for summer nights.
- Tory Burch Sequin T Shirt KnockoffRefashion a boring t-shirt into a Tory Burch sequin T-shirt knockoff using this free, easy sewing pattern.
- Cleavage CoverYou won't have to give up your v-neck tees or blouses with this cleavage cover sewing pattern.
- How to Make a Quilt: A Beginner's TutorialWhether you are a beginner sewists or just a seamstress who has never tried his/her hand at quilting before, this how to quilt tutorial is going to teach you how to quilt.
- Greeter DeterrentThis free sewing pattern is perfect to keep your baby safe.
- Hexie Caddy PincushionUse this free, printable pincushion pattern to make much more than just a pincushion!
- Meow Oven Mitts PatternThis easy kitchen sewing project is ridiculously fun and is great for a friend who loves baking or cat lovers!
- Non-Stick Pan ProtectorsMake sure to protect your favorite frying pans by creating these genius Non-Stick Pan Protectors with this easy step-by-step tutorial!
What's your favorite sewing project you've ever made? Let us know below in the comments!
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Quilting Grip Gloves
- Riley Blake Out of this World NASA Fabric
- Free Swim and Rash Guard
- Metallic Dress Made From Strips of Fabric Woven Together
- Summer Sun Hat Made From Strips of Fabric
- DIY Reusable Plastic Baggies
- Reusable Dish Sponge Pattern
- How to Sew a Button
- Shibori Dyed Table Runner and Table Mats
- Magic Pillowcase Instructions (Video Tutorial)
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Project
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners