National Sewing Month 2018
Celebrate with us all the month of September with free sewing patterns, projects, tips, and more!
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
A year has passed since the last National Sewing Month and we've been waiting for September to arrive once again so that we can show you new and exciting projects. Although we think every month should be dedicated to sewing, this celebration goes the extra mile to bring those who have been putting off projects or even learning how to sew up to the forefront and ready to get started.
Every year we participate in National Sewing Month and last year was our most exciting yet. That is, until now. This year we have five fabulous weeks full of content, ideas, and so much more to help you learn new skills or add new projects to your sewing to-do list.
PLUS! Do Not Miss Our Special #NationalSewingMonth Giveaway to Win a Janome Sewing Machine Worth Over $1,000! Comment at the bottom of the page and enter here for an additional entry. Contest ends 9/30 at midnight.
Check back on this page daily to see the newest page. We can't wait for you to celebrate National Sewing Month with us throughout all of September. And, of course, don't miss out on your chance to win a Janome M7200 sewing machine.
Week 1 (9/1 and 2): Introduction and Our Grand Prize Giveaway
Welcome to our month-wide promotion for National Sewing Month! This year, our grand prize is so exciting that we can't wait to share all the details with you.
The Janome M7200 sewing machine offers a deluxe package of features including a wide selection of quilting and appliqué stitches, a programmable block alphabet (perfect for personalizing projects and quilt labels) and auto thread trim. Hard Cover and Extension Table included!
To stay updated, be sure to subscribe to AllFreeSewing's newsletter, Sewing it Up. You'll see the latest National Sewing Month pages and so much more.
Day 1: It's National Sewing Month!
Day 2: Janome Machine Giveaway - enter here every day from 9/1–9/30.
Week 2 (9/3–9): Tips and Tricks
Beginners or adventurers, this week is going to be perfect for you! We're going over some beginner tips and tricks along with a few more specific tips for working with die cutters, sergers, and more. Learn a new trick of the trade or two (or three) with the pages we're sharing this week.
Day 3: What Size Am I? & Other Sizing Woes Solved
Day 4: Beginning Sewing: Basic Stitches
Day 5: How to Sew on Sequins: Tips and Techniques for Adding Sparkle
Plus! 12 Scintillating Sequin Sewing Patterns
Day 6: Die Cutting Tips and Tricks: Make Sewing Magic with Die Cuts
Plus! Precise and Professional: 20 Free Die Cut Patterns
Day 7: 75+ Sewing Questions Answered: Ultimate FAQs Guide
Day 8: How to Alter a Suit Jacket (Sewing Video Lessons)
Plus! Serger Basics: 15+ Serger Sewing Projects
Day 9: Sewing Basics: How to Gather Fabric 6 Ways
Week 3 (9/10–16): Christmas
Even though it's not yet beginning to look a lot like Christmas, it will be here before you know it. To celebrate, we're providing you with unique Christmas projects, ideas, and more. It's never too soon to get started and with these free patterns, you're sure to find lots to keep you busy until wintertime.
Day 10: How to Plan Sewing Christmas Gifts
Day 11: Scandinavian-Style Christmas Felt Candle Garland
Day 12: 15+ Religious Christmas Craft Ideas
Day 13: Vintage Christmas Wreath Beaded & Embroidered Ornaments
Day 14: Easy Sock Snowman Tutorial
Video Bonus! Check out Jenny's Facebook Live video for making these sock snowmen!
Day 15: 47 Free Christmas Sewing Ideas
Day 16: 12 of the Ugliest Christmas Sweaters (+ Free Patterns to Make Your Own)
Video Bonus! Watch Carolina Moore make the cutest Christmas gift card holders on AllFreeSewing's Facebook Live.
Week 4 (9/17–23): Refashioning
Refashioning and upcycling is more popular than ever, especially in the sewing world. This week is full of exciting ways to turn what you have into something new, unique, and trendy. We'll be sharing ideas for clothing, accessories, decor, and more.
Day 17: 40+ Ideas for What to Make with Old Jeans
Day 18: Sew Easy Men's Shirt to Women's Shirt Refashion (Video Tutorial)
Day 19: How to Sew a Shrug from a T-Shirt
Plus! 3 Ways for Refashioning T-Shirts (Kids Edition)
Day 20: Vintage Hat and Bag Refashion
Day 21: DIY Fringe: 25+ Festival-Friendly Sewing Patterns
Day 22: Girl's T-Shirt Skirt Tutorial
Plus! Necktie Refashion Into Necklace or Wallet
Day 23: How to Tie a Long Scarf: 15 Fabulous Formations
Week 5 (9/24–30): Printables
With digital technology reaching new levels every year, we thought we'd include a week on printable ideas. Some of what you'll find during this week is free patterns from the sewing community that you can easily download and print, free printable patterns featured exclusively on AllFreeSewing, and printables to help you stay organized, plan, and create in easier ways.
Day 24: 40+ Printable Sewing Patterns for Beginners
Day 25: Kid-Friendly Felt Monster Patterns
Day 26: Check back soon!
Day 27: Check back soon!
Day 28: Check back soon!
Day 29: Check back soon!
Day 30: Check back soon!
National Sewing Month: Enter for Your Chance to Win a Janome Sewing Machine!
- There is a maximum of one extra entry per person. The extra entry will be based upon a comment left on this post that includes #NationalSewingMonth. Duplicate comments are not tallied.
- The winner will be selected at random from the comments on this page and the entries on the contest page.
- The winner will be contacted on the morning of October 1st, 2018.
- Email Address provided in their account (please do NOT leave your email address in the comments--you already provided it when you created your account).
- You have until September 30th, 2018 at 11:59pm EST to leave your comment on this post. Comments posted after that will not be counted.
- Contest open to anyone 18+ in US and/or Canada. Excludes Quebec and Puerto Rico.
Which week theme is your favorite?
Answer below and include the hashtag #NationalSewingMonth for your chance to win!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Custom Pencil Cases
- Reliable Corporation
- Mini Fabric Pumpkins
- Denim Dog Toys
- Icy Cool Neck Wrap
- How to Make Your Own Dress Pattern
- Bias Calculator and Formula
- 25+ Easy Stuffed Animal Patterns
- 37 Rustic Fall Decorating Ideas
- Little Girls Enchanted Tulip Sleeve Dress
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Project
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners