8 Awesome DIY Organizers: Sewing Organizer Tutorials
- see all comments
"I can not download th eproject...link is not working...please check"
"I have downloaded the Trevor Pyjama pattern but am unable to just print one size but I cannot turn off the layers of unwangted sizes"
Upcycled Denim Jean Fringed Coasters
Looking for how to repurpose old jeans? These DIY denim coasters are a great project.
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
Click here to view your Sewing Patterns.
Don't toss out your old jeans! Turn them into adorable denim coasters instead with our video tutorial on Upcycled Denim Jean Fringed Coasters.
These DIY coasters are a fun project for beginner sewists and feature a trendy fringe edge and inner cotton batting to absorb moisture.
Made using the legs of old jeans, this denim sewing project is a quick housewarming gift that you can whip up quickly and comes with a detailed video tutorial and written instructions that explain how to create your coasters.
If you've been needing to clean out your closet, why not create a charming upcycled sewing project at the same time?
For more sewing inspiration, sign up for our free newsletter!
Upcycled Denim Coasters Video Tutorial
Click the play button to watch the video right below and then check out the written instructions (with images) below to master this DIY coaster project.
- Old denim (such as jeans or a jacket): 2 5" x 5" squares for each coaster
- Cotton batting: 3-1/2" x 3-1/2" square for each coaster
- Erasable fabric marker
- Sewing machine
- Matching or contrasting thread (it will be visible)
- Other standard sewing notions
Project Type: Make a Project
Time to Complete: Under an hour
Sewn By: Machine
If you are looking for a NO-SEW way to use up your old jeans in a quick and easy project, these coasters are perfect. Find the full tutorial here: 10 Minute No-Sew Rolled Denim Coasters
How to Make Coasters from Denim
This tutorial explains how to make one coaster. To make more, simply cut what is needed from the upcycled denim and cotton based on what's explained in the materials list or the instructions below.
Upcycled Denim Coaster Instructions:
- Cut two 5" x 5" squares from the upcycled denim. This tutorial uses a leg of jeans for the squares.
Note: You can choose your own preferred measurement for the squares. It can be smaller or larger than 5".
- Cut a 3-1/2" x 3-1/2" square from the cotton batting.
- Make a "sandwich" with the two denim squares and cotton batting square. Choose which sides of the denim you want on the outside of the coaster and stack accordingly.
- Use your ruler and fabric marker and mark a 3-1/2" x 3-1/2" square centered on one of the outside jean squares.
Note: You can do this step before sandwiching the pieces together for a more stable surface. You can also pin after marking and sandwiching to secure before sewing.
- With your sewing machine, stitch along the marker lines you made on the coaster square sandwich.
Note: Remove any pins before sewing.
- Add topstitching (do not clip your threads before doing this). This is optional but adds a pretty decorative touch. This tutorial uses a design inspired by old jeans, which is a diagonal "X" from one stitched corner to the other.
Topstitch one side and then clip your threads. Then do the other side and clip your threads.
- To make a fringed edge (which is optional but gives it another decorative look), pull the horizontal denim threads out so that only the fringe is left. This does take time and can be messy but it's easy to do.
- Repeat the process for multiple coasters. Pour yourself a drink and enjoy!
This tutorial was presented by our friend Mary Beth Temple at Hooked for Life Publishing and Tailor Made Cosplay. Visit her blog along with her designer profile to find more of her projects on AllFreeSewing here: Mary Beth Temple
More Coaster Patterns >>
What's your favorite way to use old jeans?
Let us know in the comment section below!
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Apr 25, 2018
Want something different for a fast gift for a housewarming or even for someone in the office or yourself then check out this video and tutorial on how to make these super cute upcycled denim fringed coasters made with old jeans. This is a great beginner sewing project too. You will not believe how easy and fast these are to make.These will make some great Father's Day gift too or how about that beach house.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
Hot Potato Pouch
Baked potatoes are the ultimate comfort food. They fill you up. They go well with yummy additions like cheese and chives. They are… Continue reading: "Hot Potato Pouch"
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite patterns
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your patterns
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- How to Use a PDF Sewing Pattern
- 27 Free Kids Apron Patterns
- How to Sew a Simple Coaster
- Sweet Dreams Easy Quilt Pattern
- Refashion a T-Shirt That is Too Small
- May Flowers Spring Wreath DIY
- Easy Shopping Bag
- Dresden Plate Quilt Block
- Chair Cover Sewing Pattern
- Scraptastic Face Wipes
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Projects
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners