With these instructions and just a few minutes you can easily create the Roxanne Retro Headband; great for adding extra flair to any boring outfit. Sewn hair accessories are so easy to make so follow these steps and learn how to make headband. You can even watch this video tutorial for the Roxanne Retro Headband for additional instruction.
- Large rectangle of cotton, denim, or linen: 18 x 5.5 inches
- Small rectangle of matching fabric: 13 x 3.5 inches
- Elastic, between 1-2 inches wide, cut to 6 inches in length
- Sewing machine, thread, iron, safety pin
- You’ll need to cut two rectangles from cotton, denim, or linen. The large one should measure 18 by 5 1/2 inches. The smaller one should be 13 by 3 1/2 inches.
- Lay the large rectangle print side down. Fold over an edge 1/2 an inch and press. Then fold it down another half-inch and press again, encasing the raw edge. Repeat on all four sides. Pin if necessary.
- Now we’ll do the same on the two short ends of the smaller rectangle. Leave the long sides alone.
- Sew the folded edges in place on both pieces. Just stitch down the center of the folds.
- Take the small rectangle and fold it in half lengthwise, right sides together. Sew along the raw edge with a quarter-inch seam to create a tube.
- Then turn the tube so that the seam is facing up, and press the seam open. Turn the tube right side out. Press with the seam face up and centered.
- Cut a piece of elastic to six inches in length. Add a safety pin to one end, and thread the elastic through the tube. Align the end of the elastic just below the opening, and sew the end shut using a zig-zag stitch. Backstitch the entire length for durability. Remove the safety pin and sew the other end as well. Snip off stray threads.
- Next lay the elastic piece seam-side up on the front of the large rectangle. Fold in the corners of the large rectangle to meet on top of the elastic piece. Pin together, sandwiching the elastic piece in place. Sew together with a quarter inch seam. Remove the pin and snip stray threads.
- Now bring the unsewn end of the elastic to the opposite end of the rectangle. Repeat the steps of folding, pinning, and sewing.