Soft and Sweet Owl Plushie Pattern (Video Tutorial)
Cut out the owl template pdf, follow along with the video tutorial, and put your own owl plushie together.
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
It doesn't matter if you're old or young, having an owl plushie is going to make your day better. With this Soft and Sweet Owl Plushie Pattern, you have printable patterns and instructions along with a video tutorial to make your own. You will love your DIY stuffed owl because it uses felt and other scrap fabric of your choice and allows for lots of creativity.
This owl plushie tutorial proves how easy it is to make your own toys. Not only will adults enjoy making this squeezable owl but it's a fantastic sewing project for kids just learning how to sew. They can practice cutting out shapes, sewing, and stuffing their owl. Toys are always more special when they are homemade. With this owl plush pattern's free printable pieces and video instructions, it's easy to achieve a professional-looking doll.
Project TypeMake a Project
Time to CompleteIn an evening
- 2 fat quarters in contrasting colors, or 1/4 yd each of 2 contrasting colors of cotton fabric
- Scraps of white, black and orange felt
- Fabric glue
- Small amount of stuffing
- Printable Owl Template PDF
- Straight pins
To stay updated, be sure to subscribe to AllFreeSewing's newsletter, Sewing it Up.
DIY Owl Plush
Free Stuffed Owl Sewing Pattern:
- CLICK ON ANY IMAGE TO ENLARGE.
Print the pattern out and cut out the pieces:
- In main color of fabric cut 2 of the owl head and owl butt.
- In contrast color of fabric cut 1 of the owl base.
- In contrast color of fabric cut 4 of the owl wing.
- In white felt, cut two of the eyeball.
Place eyeballs on right side of one owl head piece and topstitch into place.
With right sides together stitch both pieces of owl head together, leaving bottom open.
Clip curves and points, turn right side out.
Top stitch on an angle at base of each ear, set aside.
With right sides together, stitch two wing pieces together, leaving top open, twice.
Clip curves and points, turn right side out, set aside.
With right sides together, line up center of one owl butt with center of owl base and stitch into place.
With right sides together, stitch second owl butt to first owl butt/base, leaving approximately 4” open at bottom. Clip curves.
Turn assembled owl head upside down and place inside assembled owl butt/base as shown in the video.
Fold a small tuck into each wing, and pin it into place on each side, lining up center of wings and side seams.
Pin as needed around seam to join butt and head, and stitch all the way around.
Pull owl head out of opening in bottom/base.
Stuff, and whip stitch opening together, turning under a seam allowance to match the rest of the piece.
Cut two small black circles for eyes, and one small triangle for beak and glue into place.
NOTE: If giving the toy to an infant or small child, use safety eyes and eliminate the beak, or embroider eyes and beak – do not use glue.
These easy stuffed animal patterns are some of the quirkiest and some of the quickest sewing projects for beginners out there because they are usually small and simple. Check out our collection: 25+ Easy Stuffed Animal Patterns
What is your favorite animal?
Answer below and include the hashtag #NationalSewingMonth during September.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Project of the Day
For anyone that's fed up with the kitchen towels always ending up on the floor, the Stay Put Kitchen Towel Tutorial will show you how… Continue reading: "Stay Put Kitchen Towel Tutorial"
Tic Tac Toe Yo Yo Game Board
DIY Rustic Checkers Game
25+ Easy Stuffed Animal Patterns
Made to Love Vintage Doll
Fabric Lollipop Sewing Pattern
Wallace the Whale
How to Make American Girl Doll Clothes: 16+ Free Doll Clothes Patterns
How Joyful Bear
Rag Quilt Bunny Softie Tutorial
Josephine Free Doll Pattern
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Men's Shirt Refashion into Overall Dress
- Lego Block Pillows (Free PDF Pattern!)
- Quick and Easy Striped Quilt
- Tips for Sewing Soft Toys for Kids and Relatives
- Yoga Shorts Pattern For Women
- Blueberry Pincushion
- How To Make An Adjustable Strap For Any Bag
- Reversible Fabric Vinyl Tote Bag Free Pattern
- Yoga Shorts Pattern For Women
- Pleated Blouse
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Project
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners