This project was submitted by one of our readers, just like you.
15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Projects
- see all comments
"I can not download th eproject...link is not working...please check"
"I have downloaded the Trevor Pyjama pattern but am unable to just print one size but I cannot turn off the layers of unwangted sizes"
Two-Hour Summer Shift Dress
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
Click here to view your Sewing Patterns.
"We are deep in the middle of this hot, sticky summer, and a breezy, oversize shift dress is basically my July uniform. I sewed up this lightweight denim one in about two hours this past Sunday! Read on for a tutorial that will teach you how to sew your own simple shift dress."
Project TypeMake a Project
Time to CompleteIn an evening
- 2 yards of fabric (linen or lightweight denim)
- A dress that fits you well, or a paper pattern made from a dress that fits you well
- Pins, complementary thread, and a sewing machine
- Heat 'n Bond tape (or similar), iron
Read NextZoey Dress Pattern
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Jan 29, 2018
I keep getting a 404 error message-can't get to the page. Oh, well.
Feb 27, 2017
Do you want something real cute and fast to wear on those summer days then check out this summer shift dress. This dress can be worn to the office, school, a stroll on the town or even to the beach. You know it will fit because you use a pre-existing dress that you own. Make your own pattern on some paper and reuse over and over. You can even make the dress longer by adding some length to what you desire or add add applique on it. a saying or even lace on the bottom. You are in control. This is a super tutorial because the pictures of steps are so clear and she has a few good tips and finishing touches.
Feb 24, 2017
OH is this a nice practical go-to dress for the summer! These tips are great and will really help you to get this dress made and be out the door wearing it in no time flat! For a bit of pizzazz, add two or three huge buttons for decoration only! Thanks for sharing such great instructions! Superb!
Jan 04, 2017
There are heaps of tutorials showing how to use an existing dress to create a new pattern. But the writer of this one pops in lots of diagrams so you can clearly see what she is talking about. And she also teaches how create a nice, neat neckline by using a facing - AND - even showing how to avoid ending up with a facing that refuses to stay in place.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
How to Resize a Bra
If you have recently lost a lot of weight or happened to purchase a bra that is a few sizes too big, this How to Resize a Bra tutorial… Continue reading: "How to Resize a Bra"
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite patterns
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your patterns
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- How to Use a PDF Sewing Pattern
- 27 Free Kids Apron Patterns
- How to Sew a Simple Coaster
- Sweet Dreams Easy Quilt Pattern
- Refashion a T-Shirt That is Too Small
- May Flowers Spring Wreath DIY
- Easy Shopping Bag
- Dresden Plate Quilt Block
- Chair Cover Sewing Pattern
- Scraptastic Face Wipes
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Projects
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners