Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- see all comments
"I can not download th eproject...link is not working...please check"
"I have downloaded the Trevor Pyjama pattern but am unable to just print one size but I cannot turn off the layers of unwangted sizes"
May Flowers Spring Wreath DIY
Learn how to make a fabric wreath for the spring months! This fabric flower door decor is a must-make for the ultimate welcome!
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
Click here to view your Sewing Patterns.
If spring has sprung or you're ready to craft and celebrate it, then you'll want to see this May Flowers Spring Wreath DIY.
With this free pattern and tutorial, you will learn how to make a fabric wreath that's perfect for the spring season. The fabric flowers are patterned and colored with pastels and geometric designs that make you think of spring.
The centers of the flowers are pretty, too! Use fun floral or circle buttons to complete each flower. There are even lifelike leaves and sprigs to make this DIY fabric wreath a seasonal must-make.
They say that April showers bring May flowers but you can grow your own fabric flowers any time of year with this fabulous floral fabric wreath tutorial in your sewing room. You may even want to keep it up for summer to brighten your day and the days of your guests.
It doesn't even have to be used solely as a wreath. It looks just as beautiful as a centerpiece on any table.
Scroll down for the instructions. There's also a free PDF near the bottom of the page (after the instructions), so you can print and keep it around for when you want to make a new one.
Also, why stop at spring? By changing up the colors, you can make one for every season. Your imagination (and maybe fabric stash) is your only limitation.
Join Sewing It Up For More Free Patterns, Tutorials, & Guides >>
Learn how to sew flowers! Spring is always in the air with these easy ideas for fabric flower patterns and tutorials.
>> 30+ Fabric Flower Patterns
May Flowers Spring Wreath DIY
Skill Level: Beginner
Project Type: Make a Project
Time to Complete: Under an hour
Sewn By: Hand
• Coats & Clark Dual Duty XP® Thread
• Coats & Clark® Button & Craft Thread
• 1/8 yd (11.43cm) assorted pastel solids/prints
Note: (1) 3-1/2" x width-of-fabric (8.89cm x WOF) strip will make one flower.
• 1/8 yd (11.43cm) or scraps of assorted green prints, for leaves
• 1 yd (.91m) neutral color tulle
• 14" (35.56cm) wire wreath frame
• Assorted sew-through buttons, 1"-1-1/2" (2.54cm-3.81cm) diameter
• Assorted small flower sprigs
• Pattern tracing cloth
• Hot glue gun and glue
• Petal and Leaf Pattern (page 3 of PDF)
• Standard sewing notions
• The featured wreath has five large flowers, five small flowers, and five leaves. This number can vary depending on how you position them on the frame.
• The finished size is approximately 16" (40.64cm) in diameter.
Spring Wreath DIY Instructions:
Preparation: Trace the large and small petal shapes from the printable PDF onto your tracing cloth and cut them out.
Cutting: WOF=width of fabric
From the assorted pastels, cut: (5) pairs of petals of the same size/color for each flower.
From the assorted greens, cut: (2) leaf of the same color for each leaf.
From the tulle, cut: (6) strips, 6" x WOF (15.24cm x WOF) Seam allowances are 1/4" (.64cm).
Assembling the Fabric Flowers
- With right sides together, sew around each petal pair, leaving the straight edge open for turning. Backstitch at the beginning and ending of the seam.
- Trim the seam allowance to 1/8" (.32cm) and turn the petals right side out. Press the edges to shape.
- Sew a gathering thread along the petal straight edges, sewing continuously from one to the other of the five petals. Pull on the bobbin thread to gather up and tie it off as tightly as possible. Tie the ends of the gathering threads together to form the flower shape.
- Take a few stitches by hand using Button & Craft thread across the center flower edges and pull the thread to form a small hole in the center. Stitch a button over the opening, pulling the center edges closer together. Repeat for all the flowers.
Get crafty this spring with these free Easter sewing patterns! Find Easter sewing projects for kids, your home, and more.
>> 30 Easter Sewing Projects
Assembling the DIY Spring Wreath
- Wrap the wreath form with netting to cover the wire and secure the net ends together by tying.
- Lay out the flowers and leaves as desired on the covered wreath form.
- Glue the flowers and leaves in place.
- Tuck in some sprigs of tiny floral stems and glue them in place.
About the Company:
With over 200 years of commitment to quality, selection, and innovation, Coats & Clark is the thread company trusted for generations. Coats & Clark offers a wide variety of threads to meet every quilting and sewing need. Learn more about this company here: Coats & Clark
80+ Spring Sewing Projects >>
What's your favorite season?
Let us know in the comments!
Read Next80+ Spring Sewing Projects
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Project of the Day
Plastic Bag Dispensers
Stop shoving all those plastic bags into the cupboard or under the sink! These Plastic Bag Dispensers will solve all your storage… Continue reading: "Plastic Bag Dispensers"
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite patterns
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your patterns
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Ruffled Diaper Cover Pattern
- Girl's Vintage Pinafore Pattern
- Free Tiered Dress Pattern For Girls
- How To Add Pockets To A Skirt Or Dress
- Loose Ends
- How to Use a PDF Sewing Pattern
- 27 Free Kids Apron Patterns
- How to Sew a Simple Coaster
- Sweet Dreams Easy Quilt Pattern
- Refashion a T-Shirt That is Too Small
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Projects
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners