46+ Free Skirt Patterns
Whether you're searching for a casual or dressy skirt, this list of free skirt patterns is filled with perfect beginner sewing projects!
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
If you want to learn how to sew a skirt, you've found the right collection! With these 46 Free Skirt Patterns to choose from, you're bound to find something you love. All of the following skirt patterns include detailed instructions that will make it easy for you to create your own skirts. Whether you're looking for something casual like the Dirndle Skirt, or something more formal like the Mulberry Style Paperbag Skirt, we've got a skirt tutorial for you!
If you don't have much time, make the 15 Minute Skirt and head out the door in style. Making skirts is always rewarding because no girl can ever have too many. Dress them up or dress them down, wear them in the summer with bare legs or in the winter with tights. Skirts are a staple in every girl's wardrobe. Check out this collection of free skirt patterns and start making your own stylish skirts!
Find more free skirt patterns in our free eNewsletter: Sewing It Up!
Plus, learn how to hem a skirt with our handy sewing video!
Table of Contents
Looking for more DIY skirts? Then be sure to check out our collection of quick and easy skirt patterns! 35 Free Skirt Sewing Patterns: How to Make a Skirt Out of Jeans & More
Dressy Skirt Patterns to Sew
If you love getting dressed up for a night out on the town but hate spending money on expensive skirts, then you'll love this list of dressy skirt patterns and tutorials. From mini skirts that will show off your gorgeous legs to designer-inspired skirts that cost only a fraction of the price to make, these stylish skirts are sure to stop everyone in their tracks. These skirts can take you from day to night, and can be worn with tights for work, and then dressed up with heels for a night out. Go glam this year with these stunning skirt patterns.
- Anthropologie Work SkirtMake this classy sewn project and you'll save money by not buying more expensive clothes for work.
- How to Make a Scalloped Front SkirtMaking your own scalloped skirt is easy with this free sewing pattern.
- Pleated High Waist SkirtFree skirt patterns like this Pleated High Waist Skirt accentuate the smallest part of your torso for a flattering look.
- Date Night Circle SkirtNot only does this beginner sewing tutorial only take an afternoon to make, it also shows you how to create your own skirt pattern from craft paper, which is great if you're on a budget or want to experiment with pattern making.
- Bali the Reversible Skirt PatternThis DIY skirt lives up to its name and is positvely enchanting.
- Cotton Candy Pleated Skirt TutorialDitch boring, basic black for this pretty, feminine pink skirt that is perfect for the office or a night out.
- Tulle Snowball SkirtLearn how to sew a skirt that is elegant and charming by following this tutorial.
- How to Make a Skater SkirtIf you're looking for a trendy alternative to body-clinging pencil skirts, this flowy skater skirt is simple, elegant, and appropriate for any work setting.
DIY Designer Ways to Make a Skirt
If you've been searching for ways to make a skirt, then you'll love these DIY skirt ideas inspired by your favorite designers. From classic American sportswear like Michael Kors to pretty and preppy Kate Spade, these designer inspired sewing projects are the budget-friendly solution to building your dream wardrobe.
- Laser Cut Midi Skirt TutorialMixing vintage style with modern design, this tutorial for how to make a midi skirt is the best way to get the designer look for less this year.
- Simply Summer DIY Wrap SkirtJourney to the French countryside with this gorgeous Simply Summer DIY Wrap Skirt!
- Kate Spade-Inspired Midi SkirtCreate a dreamy fall skirt that looks stunning with flats or heels with this Kate Spade-Inspired Midi Skirt.
- Mulberry Style Paperbag SkirtWith its unique cinched waist, classic cut, and hint of vintage, this free skirt pattern is perfect for the office.
- The Anthropologie Ruffled Skirt Tutorial is a beautiful project that will look good on any body type.
- The Pinwheel SkirtSkip spending too much money on a designer duds instead impress everyone with your sewing skills and make this beautiful skirt yourself.
- Chalk Lines Mini SkirtThis stylish skirt also uses piping along the seams to create slimming lines, and looks great with either a plain or printed fabric.
Casual Skirt Pattern Ideas
While dressy skirts are fantastic for elegant occasions, every woman needs a go-to skirt that they can wear on a day-to-day basis. This list of casual skirt patterns is stylish and functional, meaning they're easy to move in and can be paired with your favorite tees. The best part about these free skirt patterns is that they're simple to make and use easy-to-work-with fabrics like cotton. Whether you're a stay-at-home mom or make that daily trek to the office, these pretty and practical skirts are total must-makes!
- Simple 15 Minute SkirtIf you've got 15 Minutes, you've got time for the 15 minute skirt tutorial. Everyone will be impressed that you made this stylish skirt in such short time. It's a very wearable sewn project.
- Pretty Pockets Gathered Skirt TutorialWho doesn't love a skirt with pockets? This simple yet elegant floral skirt is a staple for any woman's spring and summer wardrobe.
- The Perfect Peggy SkirtFor a fresh look revive this vintage style skirt.
- Peggy Carter-Inspired Upcycled SkirtEven an beginner can learn how to sew this easy skirt!
- Comfy and Carefree Skirt PatternLearn how to make a skirt that is warm and wonderful.
- How to Sew a Stretchy Knit SkirtYou don't have to need a reason to learn how to sew a skirt, sometimes your day-to-day wardrobe just needs a new piece. Learn how to make the next wardrobe staple.
- Stretchy Pencil Skirt PatternWear this comfortable skirt around the house for chores or around town for a casual brunch.
- Dirndl SkirtLearn how to make your own clothes with this free beginner sewing project for a dirndl skirt. This project features a gathered mini-skirt that is inspired by a traditional German costume.
- Unstoppable Pencil SkirtClad in this DIY pencil skirt, you'll feel virtually unstoppable. Conquer the day with confidence with this stylish staple.
- Flattering Upcycled DIY SkirtYou'll look and feel good in this skirt you can make from material you already have.
- The Domesticated SkirtThe Domesticated Skirt is an example of how to make your own clothes. It doubles up as a skirt and an apron--perfect for woman who loves cute sewing projects and cute clothes.
- Little Darling DIY SkirtYour little girl will be able to play all day long in this skirt.
- Lovely Lace Skirt TutorialThis lace skirt is the ultimate feminine piece that takes any outfit from simple to chic.
- Any Day Free Skirt PatternMake this skirt to wear out on the town, at home, at work, or anywhere else. Wear it any day you want.
- Pleated Midi Skirt PatternThis light and airy skirt is perfect for a walk in the warm spring sunshine.
Simple Skirt Patterns for Beginners
If you're just learning how to sew, then you'll love these ideas for how to sew a skirt! Skirts are some of the easiest sewing projects around and are incredibly beginner-friendly, so choose your favorite silhouette (like a simple and classic circle skirt) and start sewing.
- Easy Half Circle SkirtDon't spend time stressing over complicated sewing projects and design a simple and chic skirt that's perfect for spring with this sewing tutorial.
- Super Simple DIY SkirtLearn how to sew this Super Simple DIY Skirt that comes with a sewing tutorial meant for beginners.
- Simple Garter SkirtUsing just under 2 yards or fabric (or more depending on the length of skirt you want to make), this tutorial shows you how to make a simple skirt with just one layer of fabric and a cute bias tape accent.
- Elastic Waistband SkirtMake your own high-waisted skirt with this Elastic Waistband Skirt tutorial!
- The Ultimate Circle Skirt TutorialThis skirt tutorial includes sizes for newborns all the way up to women's XXL, which means you can make a DIY circle skirt for everyone you know.
- Simple Circle Skirt in MinutesThis low-budget project takes just a few materials and half an hour of your time.
- How to Sew a Circular SkirtThis simple and flowing free skirt pattern is the type of sewing pattern that is going to come in handy time and time again.
Layered Skirts to Sew
Layered skirts are a fantastic way to inject a little spice into your day-to-day wardrobe. Layered skirts perfectly embody the popular bohemian trend, so they're perfect for spring and summer. From free skirt patterns that are perfect for embracing your inner hippie to a petticoat that can be worn by itself or underneath a full skirt, these layered skirts are a great way to give your wardrobe a little something extra.
- Ruffled Peplum Skirt TutorialFor an adorable, feminine skirt, follow the instructions of the Ruffled Peplum Skirt Tutorial. You'll end up with a straight legged skirt and a detachable belt.
- PetticoatFollow this free sewing project to make a petticoat, which can be used to add volume under another skirt or worn by itself.
- Murphy's Layered SkirtThe Murphy's Layered Skirt has ruffled tiers in bright colors that cascade down to your knees.
- Fluffy Chiffon SkirtHow much fun is it to twirl in a little tutu-like skirt? Make this cute Fluffy Chiffon Skirt for the little girl in your life.
- A Simple Skirt TutorialWhen Spring rolls around, it's skirt weather! Check out this skirt pattern and make a two-tiered skirt to try something new.
DIY Skirts for Any Occasion
If you can't get enough skirts, then you'll love more of our selection of free skirt patterns. Perfect for any occasion and in any length, from mini to maxi, this list of skirt patterns and tutorials is ideal for any and every woman and includes quick sewing projects and figure-flattering patterns. There's also some fantastic refashioning ideas if you've been looking for ways to breathe new life into your wardrobe. Here's wishing all of you happy sewing!
- Refashioned Mermaid Dress Skirt PatternFrom formal wear to office wear, use this free skirt pattern to create a chic new bottom.
- XOX SkirtThis free sewing pattern helps you learn how to design and make your own clothes, specifically the XOX Skirt, a tiered, ruffled skirt.
- Prom Dress Princess Skirt RefashionTurn an old prom dress into an elegant skirt for less than $10.
- Super Sweet Circle SkirtFor a little more movement in your wardrobe, try this simple tutorial.
- 2 Yard Pleated Skirt TutorialIf you've been searching for the perfect lightweight skirt for spring or summer, then you'll fall in love with this 2 Yard Pleated Skirt Tutorial.
- Dish Towel Skirt TutorialThis Dish Towel Skirt Tutorial uses three long tea towels to create a skirt that looks expensive without breaking the bank and can easily be made in a single afternoon.
- Half Circle Skirt TutorialLearn how to make a circle skirt for your wardrobe.
- Vintage Tablecloth Skirt PatternLearn how to create a wardrobe staple from unexpected materials with this free skirt pattern.
- 5 Minute SkirtIt takes only 5 minutes to make the 5 Minute Skirt, a free, easy skirt pattern for beginners.
- Fringe SkirtThe Fringe Skirt is fun to wear and move in. Channel your inner 20s with this DIY sewing project.
- Sleek Pencil SkirtAdd a tenacious but classic piece to your wardrobe by learning how to sew a skirt like this one.
- Knit DIY Pencil SkirtFor a cute skirt that hugs you the right way, try this tutorial.
- How to Make a Skirt Fit for a SailorThis vintage sailor skirt is trendy, cute, and sure to make a statement.
- How to Make a Skirt from a Shower CurtainSee it to believe it. Seriously!
- Very Retro Christmas SkirtThis vintage-inspired Christmas skirt is perfect for holiday parties!
Free Maxi Skirt Patterns
When it's hot out, the last thing you want to wear is a tight, clingy skirt! Make a gorgeous DIY maxi skirt that's loose fitting and comfortable with this list of skirt pattern ideas. From dressy maxi skirts that will take you from day to evening to comfy and casual skirts that are perfect for wearing around the house, these maxi skirt patterns are the ultimate in style and comfort.
- Cool Blue DIY Maxi SkirtWhether it’s a charity ball or a school fundraiser, learning how to sew a maxi skirt is a great way to get you ready for the big night.
- Maxi to Peasant Skirt RefashionTransform an unflattering maxi dress into a stylish and lightweight peasant skirt with this Maxi to Peasant Skirt Refashion.
- Fiesta Wrap Skirt TutorialBe a little bolder than usual and create this DIY wrap skirt to wear the next time you go out to a pool party or summer barbeque.
- Chevron DIY Maxi SkirtCombine the chic, new trend of chevron and the comfy feel of a maxi skirt with this lovely Chevron DIY Maxi Skirt.
- Extra-Long DIY Maxi SkirtSuper comfy, this dress is surprisingly warm. It is a great skirt to wear on a chilly spring day.
Tutorials for How to Make a Skirt
If you've never made a skirt before and are looking for some beginner sewing tutorials, you've come to the right place. From tutorials for how to add a zipper to a skirt to instructions for how to sew a curved hem, this collection of sewing tutorials for beginners is sure to answer all of your skirt sewing questions. We know sewing can seem intimidating at first, but with this collection of DIY sewing tutorials, you'll be able to make a stylish skirt in no time.
- How to Sew a Zipper into a Lined Skirt"Here’s how to sew a zipper into a lined skirt the easy way. Here I’ll show you how to sew a zipper into a lined skirt but this tutorial can be used for many types of lined garments."
- How to Sew a Curved Hem for Beginners"This tutorial will teach you how to hem a curve the very easy way so no more frustration or ugly hemline!"
- How To Trace a Sewing Pattern"This sewing tips tutorial is for you: an EASY and super FAST solution to get the (right size!) pattern from the template. Takes only a minute!"
- How to Sew Pockets on a SkirtMake your skirts more functional and cute by following this How to Sew Pockets on a Skirt sewing tutorial.
- How to Line a SkirtOnce you master the art of skirt lining, you'll find out that it can be fun as well as rewarding. It's enjoyable to play around with different fabrics and trims until you find a style that speaks to you.
Stop spending money on expensive sewing patterns and treat yourself to some free printable DIY patterns with our popular collection! 35+ Free Printable Sewing Patterns
What's your favorite style of skirt to wear? Let us know below in the comments!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
- 46+ Free Skirt Patterns
- How to Make a Skirt Fit
- Chalk Lines Mini Skirt
- Letting Out Pants
- Vintage Colorblock Skirt Tutorial
- How to Sew Shorts: 40+ Free Shorts Patterns
- Simple 15 Minute Skirt
- Winter Chic Sweatpants Tutorial
- 5 Minute Skirt
- 35 Free Skirt Sewing Patterns: How to Make a Skirt Out of Jeans & More
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Fashionable Travel Bag
- Small Backpack Pattern for Small Budgets
- Farm Girl Recycled Jeans Apron
- Refashion Shorts into a Skirt
- When You Wish....Baby Mat
- Make a Hexagon Storage Pouch
- Lace Zipper Pouch Tutorial
- Harvest Leaf Coasters
- Free Girl's Circle Skirt
- 28 DIY Thanksgiving Table Decorations & Thanksgiving Side Dishes
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Project
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners