How to Make Clothes: 500+ Tutorials for Making Your Own Clothes
Learn how to make your own clothes! This has all of our free clothes sewing patterns on one convenient page.
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
One of the main reasons sewists turn to this exciting and rewarding hobby is that they want to learn how to make clothes. When you learn how to make your own clothes, you have the kind of control over your wardrobe and style that no one else does.
Here at AllFreeSewing, we have HUNDREDS of free sewing patterns for making your own clothes. You could easily learn how to make clothes to fill your entire wardrobe with these gorgeous ideas.
How to Make Clothes: 500+ Tutorials for Making Your Own Clothes has any tutorial you will ever want. While the rest of the world wears the skirts and dresses they bought at the same ten to twelve stores, you get to twirl in unique free dress patterns.
But where will you start? Lucky for you, the editors have decided to round up all of our how to make clothing patterns into one magnificent list.
Whether you need patterns for making your own clothes, want to know how to sew clothes for your baby, or even want a pair of pants for your man, we have the free sewing patterns you have been seeking out!
Scroll down to find hundreds of collections and tutorials that will ensure that making your own clothes is easy, fun, and comes with fabulous results.
PLUS! Comment and Win (CLICK HERE for INFO and QUESTION)
BONUS! We have a new video from Mary Beth Temple on how to adjust a shirt that's too large. Check out the helpful Men's Shirt to Women's Shirt Refashion video right below.
Table of Contents
Shirt Sewing Patterns
We're starting from the top (literally) with this massive list of how to make clothes tutorials. While DIY dress patterns are fun for special occasions or even day-to-day wear, sometimes you just want to wear separates.
This list of our favorite shirt sewing collections contains everything from DIY hoodies for fall and winter to comfy and stylish tank tops and tees from warmer weather.
When you are making your own clothes, these are some of the first free sewing patterns you are going to want to check out! Take a look at these gorgeous and easy how to sew clothes tutorials for DIY tops, tanks, sweatshirts, and more.
- DIY Sweatshirt Ideas: 36 Tutorials for How to Make a Hoodie and More
Learn how to make a hoodie to keep you warm all winter and how to make sweatshirts that make great spring and fall jackets. You are going to love making your own clothes when they are this comfy.
- 28+ Summer Tops Sewing Patterns
Show off those arms with these how to sew shirts tutorials. Whether you're packing for a tropical getaway or sewing a date night top, this collection has a summer top for you! When the sun shines, you will be grateful that you have learned how to make clothes that show some skin.
- How to Sew a Jacket: 40 Patterns to Keep You Warm
We know that buying can be expensive, especially for kids who seem to grow out of them every year. Use free sewing patterns to make jackets for your whole family. There’s no need to spend a ton of money to make sure you keep warm!
- How to Make a Tunic: 34 Easy Sewing Projects
Tunics are a great way to learn how to make clothes because they are simple to sew and always fashionable. Timeless, comfy, and oh-so-vogue, these patterns will not go out of style.
- 33 Fab Free Shirt Sewing Patterns
Find even more free shirt patterns in this collection of tops to sew. Look stunning in everything from bell sleeved beauties to terrific tank tops when you sew through this adorable collection. You will love wearing these!
If you are looking for short-term sewing patterns to satisfy your sewist spirit, check out our giant collection of 200+ DIY Sewing Projects by the Minute. You won't believe how simple these tutorials are! 200+ Sewing Projects for Beginners
How to Sew Shorts and Pants
In addition to making your own clothes with t-shirt and top patterns, you are going to want to learn how to sew bottoms, too! From summer shorts patterns that are perfect for hot weather to ways to sew and take in pants, these DIY bottom patterns are your solution to designing chic and fashion-forward shorts and pants.
We've even thrown in a few kids' patterns as well! Learn how to make clothes like DIY pants and DIY shorts with these tutorials. Making your own clothes is a beneficial skill for the whole family, especially perfectly-tailored bottoms.
- 40+ Free Shorts Patterns (to Sew)
Make your own clothes for summer with these smart shorts ideas. Whether you are making the perfect pair of cut-offs or learning how to sew full patterns like Bermuda shorts, you will love these free shorts sewing patterns.
- How to Sew Pants: 38 DIY Pants for Comfort and Style
If you are not into showing some leg, you can learn how to sew pants instead. From denim jeans to office-friendly trousers, this collection has every pant style you could want. You can't learn to make your own clothes without sewing some pants!
Free Dress Patterns (and Skirts)
There's nothing as elegant as a beautifully fitted dress that makes you feel as confident as you look. Free skirt patterns and patterns for sewing dresses are some of our most popular sewing patterns.
Our readers cannot get enough of learning how to make clothes that are feminine and fancy. Learn how to sew your own clothes for any event when you make one of these DIY skirts or DIY dresses.
From summer maxi dress patterns to free skirt patterns that are perfect for the office or dinner out, these fashionable sewing patterns have classic, modern, and eclectic vibes, so that you can easily find a dress or skirt that matches your own personal style.
- 35+ Free Skirt Sewing Patterns
With everything from flirtatious, frilly skirts to sleek pencil skirts, this massive list of free skirt patterns is sure to hold your next sewing project. With so many chic options, you won't be able to pick just one! Sew as many as you want.
- 29 Sewing Patterns for Maxi Dresses + Summer Skirt Patterns
Hello, sunshine! And hello, brand new skirt or dress. Breathable, light, and positively gorgeous, these flowing free dress patterns and free skirt patterns are perfect for warm weather. Want something convertible? Many of them are great for cooler days too!
- 75+ Free Dress Patterns for Sewing
Our readers are obsessed with this page and you can see why. It is dresses as far as the eye can see. This is one of our biggest collections of dresses to sew.
- How to Make a Pencil Skirt: 11 Free Skirt Patterns
Making your own clothes can mean learning how to sew your own clothes for interviews and fancier events. Pencil skirts are perfect for important occasions.
- Your DIY Maxi Dress and Skirt: 34 Free Clothing Projects for Every Season
Maxi dresses and maxi skirt patterns are some of the easiest free sewing patterns out there. Plus, they are insanely comfortable too!
Specialty Women's Sewing Patterns
In addition to skirt and dress patterns, learning how to make your own clothes includes some other miscellaneous patterns. Find the prettiest DIY maternity clothes to sew
We've also compiled our list of stylish DIY maternity clothes for fashion-forward mommies-to-be, as well as our reader favorite list of figure-flattering sewing patterns, so that you can stylish no matter what you wear. Check out these how to sew clothes for women that you might need one day.
- Sew Maternity Clothes: 23 Maternity Style Ideas & Patterns
If you are an expecting mommy, none of your old clothes are going to fit. Learn how to make your own clothes while you wait for your precious bundle of joy, and you can still be a trendsetter for all 9 months of your pregnancy.
- 35+ Figure Flattering Free Sewing Patterns
One of the best things about making your own clothes is being able to make pieces that not only fit but look great too! Check out these figure-flattering free sewing patterns and how to make clothes tutorials that help you look your best.
- 23 Fabulous and Free Plus Size Sewing Patterns
Don't settle for the small selection of clothes at the mall and design some stunning pieces for your wardrobe with our list of free plus size clothing patterns. We love the following patterns because even if they aren't necessarily modeled or made for plus sizes, they have the ability to be made larger without losing the effect they were designed to achieve.
Vintage Clothing Patterns to Sew
When you learn how to create your own clothes, vintage designs are sure to be on most people's minds. There's something about that retro look and feel of clothing that many sewists want to learn and wear again. With all of these collections featuring tutorials for making your own clothes with vintage touches, you're going to find what you're looking for.
Whether you're on the hunt for a Halloween costume for yourself, your partner, children, or friends or you simply have affection for eras past, all of these free vintage sewing patterns will help you out. There's even a free eBook to download with 11 PDFs in one place.
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies Free eBook
If you love vintage sewing patterns, then there's no question: you need to download this free sewing eBook. You will look straight out of the Swinging Sixties when you learn how to make your own clothes with vintage ideas.
- 15 Sewing Projects Inspired by the Victorian Era
Lovely lace, delicate trims, faux fur, and elegant home decor make this collection of Victorian sewing projects irresistible for the vintage-loving sewist. Bring the sophistication of the 1800s to your clothing and home with these debonair patterns.
- 30+ 1920s Patterns Coco Chanel Would Love
The Roaring Twenties are a fashion era that has never lost its style. If you’re still obsessed with flapper dresses, sequins, feathers, and dapper male fashions, then you need to check out this classic collection!
- 1930s Sewing Patterns: Sewing and the Great Depression
The 1930s may be marked by the Great Depression, but there’s nothing depressing about these cozy, nostalgic, and budget-friendly sewing tutorial! Learn all about ‘30s fashion trends in the comprehensive guide historians adore.
- 21 Sewing Tutorials Inspired by 1940's Fashion
If you love vintage fashion, then you'll fall in love with this collection of DIY clothing inspired by the 1940s. Dress up in the clothes of Hollywood's Golden Age, as well as fun pin-up inspired looks and WWII military-style fashion.
- 23 Sewing Projects Inspired by the 1970s
Relaxed, far-out, and filled with flower power, the 1970s was an era of fashion every boho-lover wants to relive. Give your wardrobe an earthy, colorful, and playful update with these ‘70s-inspired sewing patterns. You’ll find everything from maxi dresses to bell sleeve tops in this collection.
- 45+ Free Vintage Sewing Patterns
Are you a vintage vixen? Then you’ll adore this list of vintage sewing patterns! Deck yourself from head to toe in timeless patterns that will have you looking like a retro fashion model. You won’t have to spend hours thrifting for a classic look.
How to Make Clothes for Babies and Kids
Babies and kids need clothes too! If your little ones go through new clothes constantly, then you're in the right place. Learn how to make your own clothes for the whole family when you check out these free baby sewing patterns and homemade clothes for kids ideas.
We've included some fun and girly patterns that your little princess is guaranteed to love, as well as easy sewing projects for boys and babies. Kid’s clothing can be expensive. Save some money by making your own.
- 12 Baby Onesie Patterns That are the Cutest Ever
Nothing is more important to a baby’s wardrobe than onesies. Comfortable, flexible, and snuggle-friendly, onesies fulfill all of your baby's needs while still keeping him cozy. Learn how to make a onesie with this adorable list.
- 50+ Free Clothing Sewing Patterns for Girls
Does your little girl like to pretend that she's a princess? If so, then she probably loves swirly twirly dresses, and this list of free clothing patterns for girls has plenty of those! From tank tops to tutus, this pattern list has everything.
- Sewing for Boys: 17+ DIY Clothing Ideas That He'll Love
When you're looking to give your kids a closet update, don’t forget about your dapper little man! Learn how to sew clothes for the little dude in your life with this collection, and he'll be fashionable from the playground to Grandma's house.
- Sewing for Baby: 18 DIY Baby Clothes
Looking for even more DIY clothes ideas to keep your little bundle of joy bundled in joy? With free baby skirt patterns, sweater tutorials, and onesie walk-throughs, this list of baby clothes ideas has a piece to sew for each of your little ones.
Unique How to Make Clothes Ideas
And we have even more! These collections of how to sew clothes tutorials show you how to make your own clothes in a variety of ways. From how to make underwear ideas (we have a ton!) to pajama patterns, these exciting and unique lists will help you fill in any gap you might have in your own wardrobe.
We've also included lists of some hard to find patterns, such as DIY swimwear for the whole family, and special occasion sewing projects for prom and wedding season, so that no matter where you are, you'll always look good.
- Make Your Own Lingerie: How to Make Underwear + Bras
Learn how to make clothes you wear every day by making your own undergarments. From fixing bras to free underwear patterns, this collection is a must-have.
- Make a Vest: 19 Free Vest Sewing Patterns
Love to layer? Learn how to do it right with these sleek, stylish, and stunning vest ideas for the entire family. There's nothing like slipping on a cozy vest on a crisp autumn morning!
- How to Make Pajamas: 12 Free Pajama Ideas
Everyone knows how important it is to get a good night's sleep. The way to do it? Comfy clothes, of course! Sleep tight and sleep snuggly when you sew up these ultra-soft, cute, and weather-prepared pajama patterns.
- 10+ Free Bathing Suit Sewing Patterns (for Women and Girls)
If it is time to hit the beach or the pool, you are going to need a swimsuit. Why not look like a beach babe wherever you go without having to spend hours trying on bikinis? Learn how to make a summer-ready swimsuit with these ideas.
- How to Make Underwear: 7 DIY Underwear Patterns and More Free Sewing Patterns
Is there such a thing as having too much underwear? I don't think so! Especially when you can sew your own darling, comfortable, and breathable sets with these super comfortable DIY underwear patterns!
- 18 DIY Prom Free Sewing Patterns: DIY Prom Dress Patterns, DIY Hair Accessories, and More
If your teen son or daughter is going off to prom, you don't have to spend an arm and a leg for him or her to have a great time. These free sewing patterns for a DIY prom will save your money for their college tuition.
- 24 DIY Wedding Sewing Tutorials: How to Sew a Wedding Veil, How to Sew a Ring Bearer Pillow, and More
Enter our Contest!
- Answer our question below and you will be entered to win a prize from our prize closet!
- There is a maximum of one entry per person. Commenting on this page will enter you to win the prize. Duplicate comments will be deleted and are not tallied.
- Winner will be selected at random from the comments on this page below.
- You have until Wednesday, September 25th, 2019 at 11:59pm EST to leave your comment on this post. Comments after that will not be counted.
- Winner will be contacted Thursday, September 26th, 2019 by the e-mail address provided in their account (please do NOT leave your e-mail address in the comments — you already provided it when you create your account).
- Contest open to anyone 18+ in US and Canada (excluding Puerto Rico and Quebec).
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Images from other crafters
Your Recently Viewed Projects
- 45 Free Printable Sewing Patterns
- 75+ Free Dress Patterns for Sewing
- Make Your Own Lingerie Guide
- Easy Pleated Skirt Pattern
- 500+ Tutorials for Making Your Own Clothes
- Fashion of the 1950s: 41 Vintage Sewing Projects
- 19 Free Vest Sewing Patterns
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies Free eBook
- 38 Modern Sewing Patterns for Women
- 200+ Sewing Projects for Beginners
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Fabric Editions Halloween Harvest Fabric Collection
- Best of National Sewing Month 2019
- The Easiest Tutu Skirt You Can Make Now!
- Easy Cat Shaped Neck Pillow with Free Pattern
- Mini Orange Peel Quilt
- Corduroy Fanny Bag
- Bell Sleeve Dress
- Sewing Machine Maintenance: How to Thread a Sewing Machine
- 67 DIY Halloween Costumes and Halloween Sewing Projects
- Pumpkin Mug Rug Sewing Tutorial
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Project
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners