How to Make a Tunic: 11 Easy Sewing Projects + 3 Bonus Tunic Tutorials
Make a flattering and trendy top for you or your little one with these free tunic patterns and tutorials!
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
Close your eyes and picture this: a stunning, chic piece of DIY clothing that is super flattering, extremely affordable, and unbelievably easy to make. What could this mysterious garment be? A DIY tunic, of course!
Check out this guide, How to Make a Tunic: 11 Easy Sewing Projects, where you'll find a fantastic collection of DIY tunic tops, tunic dresses, and tunics for kids. Tunics have a flowy, feminine shape that makes them trendy and attractive for every body type. These tunic tutorials are also versatile and stylish for work, a night out, or even a relaxing day at the park.
This list of easy sewing projects include tunic tutorials that you can make for every season and occasion. This Greek Goddess Shirt Tutorial is elegant and glamorous, perfect for a date or girl's night. For a more casual, comfortable look, try this Simple Refashioned Tunic, which will accentuate your figure and highlight your curves in all the right places. Tunics aren't just for adults, though. Your little one will love tunics like this Tiny Tummy Tunic, which is perfect for a back to school outfit or a playdate. You won't find a more comfortable and stylish outfit.
No matter what style of tunic you're looking for, you'll be sure to find a tutorial you love in this collection!
DIY Tunic Ideas for Women
One of the most flattering tops around, tunics first became popular in the 1960s and have remained stylish with women everywhere to this day. Hitting at the hip or below, these DIY tunics can be paired with jeans, tights, or leggings, and are a great way to emphasize a smaller waist. Great for any time of year, these free tunic patterns and tops to sew are the perfect way to look stylish while being completely comfortable.
- 60s Baby Doll Tunic TutorialTransform an old long-sleeve tee into a chic and trendy tunic that's figure flattering and fashionable with this 60s Baby Doll Tunic Tutorial. Made in a 1960s inspired baby doll silhouette, this tunic sewing tutorial shows you how to upcycle an old tee and add a flattering empire waist and flared sleeves.
- Tunic Dress TutorialMake your own comfy knit dress with this Tunic Dress Tutorial. This easy sewing project is prefect for beginners and is quick to make. It's a simple, flattering design that looks great with a fun patterned fabric.
- Greek Goddess Shirt TutorialDon't deny it, you look like a vision in your new sewn top. As you scan yourself up and down in front of the mirror, you know the Greek Goddess Shirt Tutorial was a good idea. Made from a stretchy knit, this DIY top falls elegantly over you.
- A stylish new top is just a few snips away. You can make this Simple Refashioned Tunic reusing any button-down man's shirt your husband no longer wears. Reusing clothing is a great way to update your wardrobe without spending any money.
- Spring Ruffle Top TutorialBe in style this spring with a light and ruffled top. Free sewing patterns like this will help you fill your closet with beautiful and original clothes! The Spring Ruffle Top Tutorial is a great DIY tank top to wear when the weather warms up.
- Comfy and warm outerwear doesn't have to be expensive. You can sew an Asymmetrical Tunic Sweater to keep yourself cozy when the weather is cold. This easy project is a great place to start if you want to learn how to sew your own clothes.
- Insanely Cute Kimono TopWhen you need to decide what free shirt pattern to follow for your next wardrobe addition, consider this Insanely Cute Kimono Top tutorial. Sewing shirts for yourself gives you the opportunity to spice up your closet with delightfully different designs.
- 2 Yard Tunic TutorialDesign a figure flattering tunic that's perfect for dressing up or down with this 2 Yard Tunic Tutorial. Made with a chic racerback, this DIY tunic can go from the gym to a night out in no time. This free tunic tutorial uses 2 yards of knit fabric and has a cinched waist and deep v-neck, so it gives the illusion of a small waist and is long enough to wear with leggings.
- Boho Chic Tunic Pattern"This is a super easy boho chic tunic, recommended for a first time sewer, young or mature. This breezy tunic looks cheerful and light, perfect for the warm seasons! Make it in a longer version to wear this as a dress."
How to Make a Tunic for Kids
If your daughter or granddaughter needs an update to her wardrobe, then these free tunic patterns are perfect for her. Tunics are the ultimate combination of a shirt and dress, so they're dressier than everday t-shirts but are easier and more comfortable to move in unlike formal dresses. Create tons of adorable tops that your little fashionista will love with these DIY tunics and sewing projects for kids.
- Girls' Gathered Tunic Dress Pattern"This is your new favorite dress... or it's a nightgown. So many options in one pattern. In sizes 2-10, the girls' gathered tunic dress for woven fabrics is a real winner. Make with long or short sleeves, a cuff, or gathered elastic."
- Lovely Little TunicThis Lovely Little Tunic is a great girly outfit for any transitional season. She'll love the comfy fit and you'll love how easy it is to learn how to make a tunic with this tutorial. Cute details like a front pleat, lace trimming, and button closure make this DIY tunic even more adorable.
- Peek-a-Boo Toddler TopMake girls' clothes that you absolutely adore by following this Peek-a-Boo Toddler Top tutorial. Learning how to sew a shirt was never so easy, thanks to these detailed instructions. Follow this free shirt pattern and your girl will have a whole new edge to her wardrobe - kiddy style, of course.
- T-Shirt Tunic and Legging TutorialWhen you're sewing for kids, it's important to keep comfort and fashion in mind. You won't get them in anything uncomfortable or something the kids aren't wearing at school. Check out the T-Shirt Tunic and Legging tutorial for an outfit that's both comfy and stylish.
- Tiny Tummy TunicThe secret to dressing a toddler or baby is dressing them in layers. This keeps them toasty and warm as well as makes your life much easier. As soon as something spills, you can just remove and replace the top layer instead of everything else. This Tiny Tummy Tunic was designed exactly for this purpose.
If you're searching for stylish and comfy shirts for summer, then you'll love these free shirt patterns for warm weather! 28+ Summer Tops Sewing Patterns
What's your favorite style of top to wear? Let us know below in the comments!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
How to Make Lingerie Tutorials
23 Sewing Projects Inspired by the 1980s
DIY Sleeveless Vest or Jacket
45 Free Printable Sewing Patterns
75+ Free Dress Patterns for Sewing
Fashion of the 1950s: 41 Vintage Sewing Projects
How to Make Clothes: 500+ Tutorials for Making Your Own Clothes
200+ Sewing Projects for Beginners
11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies Free eBook
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- To Wash Fabric Before Sewing or Not: Tips for Preparing Fabric
- 10 Designer Sewing Patterns
- Beautiful Beginner DIY Dresses: 24 Easy Dress Patterns
- What Kind of Thread to Use for Sewing Leather
- Ribbon Band DIY Pattern Weights
- Patchwork Fabric Basket Pattern
- Remona from The Stitching Scientist
- Beautiful Bows Child’s Headband Sewing Pattern
- Stuffed Owls Sewing Pattern
- Playing Card Holder Pattern
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Project
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners