This project was submitted by one of our readers, just like you.
24 Handmade Craft Ideas from 2010: A Year of Free Crafts
- see all comments
"I can not download th eproject...link is not working...please check"
"I have downloaded the Trevor Pyjama pattern but am unable to just print one size but I cannot turn off the layers of unwangted sizes"
The Long Hooded Cloak Pattern
You are going to adore this cloak pattern with hood for autumn and winter. Or maybe a Halloween costume. Stay warm while looking stylish and cute!
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
Click here to view your Sewing Patterns.
Add warmth and style to your winter and fall looks (or Halloween costumes) with this comfy and ridiculously chic free cloak pattern.
Because it's made with fleece or Jersey knit on the interior and exterior, it's incredibly warm and super soft. The perfect replacement for the traditional coat or jacket.
This long hooded cloak pattern is free to download and the video below makes sewing the pieces together a breeze. It's a unique and retro way to stay warm this winter and will certainly turn heads!
From the Blogger: "This long hooded cloak pattern is easy to follow and is perfectly priced at free! A FULL length hooded cloak that's a free pattern with step by step instructions!
Perfect for Halloween! It’s easy to sew up ( honestly the longest part is assembling the pattern). It has a couple of different lengths and is sure to add a little drama to any costume."
Sign Up For More Free Patterns >>
Project TypeMake a Project
Time to CompleteIn an evening
- 3.75 yards of Fleece, or Jersey knit for exterior
- 0.5 yards of fleece or jersey knit for hood lining
1 yard of leather cording ( or ribbon)
Sewing Essentials (scissors, pins, etc.)
Fleece Long Hooded Cloak Pattern Instructions
You will need to assemble the pattern. For instructions on how to assemble the pattern see link above (or click here).
Cut out the pieces to the cape- To save you from endless pattern assembly the cape pattern piece doubles as the back piece and the front pieces (yay for saving trees). However, this means that you need to do a couple of different things when you cut out the pattern.
I’ve sewn for 2 decades and have never come across a design like this = so even if you’re a seasoned sewist you need to pay attention.
Each pattern piece is actually 2 pattern pieces – you will cut down the pieces to make it the next pattern piece ( for example you will cut out the exterior of the hood, cut down the pattern piece, and then cut the interior).
Cape section: Cut the pattern to the length you want (there are two – I’m 5'4" and the shorter length was good for me).
Cut 1 of the back piece – place the pattern piece with the BLUE line on the fold. There will be a lip of paper (.5 inches) that hangs over the edge of the fabric. This will make 1 large back piece. Now Cut the pattern piece to become the front piece. Cut on the red lines at the neck, and at the bottom (curve up so you don’t trip on the cape).
Then place on the folded fabric making sure the ENTIRE pattern is on the fabric (no paper lip hanging over). Cut out pattern making two pieces for the front. Note: to conserve fabric, I turned the pattern around – this might not work with some patterns.
Cut out the hood- On doubled Fabric, cut two of the hood exterior. Then cut down the pattern piece on the red line. On doubled fabric cut two of the hood lining.
Long Hooded Cloak Pattern Video Tutorial
Visual learners, this one is for you. If you'd like to see how this beautiful free sewing pattern for a hooded cloak is made, then watch this YouTube tutorial right below. You can also watch it on Angel's site.
A Vintage Cloak Pattern
Don this darling and stylish free sewing pattern this fall! This vintage cloak pattern is ideal for days when the weather is starting to get chilly. Reminiscent of vogue patterns from the past, you're sure to get a million compliments on this stunning piece.
Find the pattern here: Sunburst Cloak
40+ Free Jacket Sewing Patterns >>
What's your favorite style of coat?
Let us know in the comments!
Read Next74+ Free Printable Sewing Patterns
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
lefemenikita2003 4 140340
Aug 09, 2017
This is going to sound like a dumb Question but how do I make the pattern ? What kind of paper do I use ? Ive never made a pattern before I have always bought them so any help would be appreciated thank u in advance
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
Cutlery Pockets Sewing Pattern
Have your dress your spoons, forks, and knives to the nines with this Cutlery Pockets Sewing Pattern. No matter what special occasion… Continue reading: "Cutlery Pockets Sewing Pattern"
- 74+ Free Printable Sewing Patterns
- Harem Pants Jumpsuit Sewing Pattern
- 75+ Free Dress Patterns
- 31 Pajama Sewing Patterns
- 38 Modern Sewing Patterns
- Make Your Own Lingerie Guide
- 19 Free Vest Sewing Patterns
- 30+ American Girl Doll Sewing Patterns
- 500+ Tutorials for Making Your Own Clothes
- Sew Sweet Tank Dress Tutorial
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite patterns
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your patterns
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Ruffled Diaper Cover Pattern
- Girl's Vintage Pinafore Pattern
- Free Tiered Dress Pattern For Girls
- How To Add Pockets To A Skirt Or Dress
- Loose Ends
- How to Use a PDF Sewing Pattern
- 27 Free Kids Apron Patterns
- How to Sew a Simple Coaster
- Sweet Dreams Easy Quilt Pattern
- Refashion a T-Shirt That is Too Small
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Projects
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners