30+ American Girl Doll Sewing Patterns
Learn how to make American Girl doll clothes with these resources. These easy 18 inch doll clothes patterns are perfect for any AG doll!
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
Over the years, different types of dolls have been insanely popular and this has created a need for tutorials on how to make doll clothes for American Girl dolls, along with some doll accessories.
If you are on the lookout for any patterns for an 18-inch doll, you have come to the right place. Explore this page, 30+ American Girl Sewing Patterns and learn how to design doll clothes your daughter or granddaughter will absolutely adore for years to come!
A little kid's best friend is often their favorite doll. Whether your child adores her American Girl doll or is more attached to another brand, this post will show you how to sew for dolls of all shapes and sizes.
Save some cash and make your girl or boy's day by creating one of these free sewing patterns. These easy, quick, and absolutely free doll clothes patterns are sure to delight any enthusiasts.
No matter what type of free doll clothing or accessory patterns you are looking for, you will find them in this collection. Your child's American Girl doll is going to be the stylish one on the block.
Help your daughter or granddaughter dress their dolly to impress when you learn how to make tiny outfits that are adorable, fun, easy, and budget-friendly. These pieces are so small that you can usually create them in just a matter of minutes.
PLUS! Watch the video right below to learn how to make a pair of American Girl Doll Fleece Pants. Angel Peterson walks you through the process. What a cute piece of doll clothing!
Table of Contents
American Girl Dress Patterns (+ Skirts)
You'll want to learn how to make American Girl doll clothes ASAP when you see these designs. On the hunt to find a pattern for an American Girl doll dress? Or maybe you need to find the cutest American Girl doll skirt pattern for your child's doll. Below, we've collected our favorite free American Girl doll dresses and skirts that work perfectly for any 18-inch doll.
- Glamorous Gown Doll Dress Pattern
No matter who the doll collector in your life may be, they will be sure to appreciate this elaborate (yet simple) doll dress design.
- Kit's Sweater Dress
All you need is an old sweater and half an hour to make this smart American Girl dress pattern. The result is so cute and fun.
- American Girl Doll Skirt Pattern
This is a great project for using scrap fabric. Watch the video tutorial and read the stepped out instructions to learn how to make the skirt.
- Super Versatile Doll Dress Pattern
From pajamas to a cute day dress, you can use this design to whip up several original outfits for your little one's favorite companion.
- Mini, Midi, Maxi Skirt Pattern for American 18 Inch Doll
This is an easy project that can be tried by a beginner sewist. This is also a quick pattern that can be completed in less than an hour or so.
- Pillowcase Dress Pattern for 18 Inch American Doll
Doll pillowcase dresses can be found everywhere on the internet. But only this pattern will give you options to sew customized ones.
- American Girl Mod Dress Sewing Pattern
This super cute pattern contains two dress styles! You can make it Mod or Modern - or both, it's up to you! So creative and cool.
- Doll Pillowcase Dress
You do not need to buy any brand new fabric to make this doll clothes pattern as it shows you how to use scraps to make a pillowcase dress.
- Anna-Inspired Doll Dress Pattern
What better way to keep Anna from Frozen by your daughter's side than to make her doll an Anna-inspired doll dress pattern?
- Lacy DIY Doll Clothes
Make this adorable American Girl doll skirt out of an old doily and you'll save money and dress that doll up all at the same time.
Making little clothing, toys, and accessories for dolls is so fun. If you're looking for even more doll clothing ideas for all sizes and types, we got you. Don't miss our hit collection, 46+ Free Doll Clothes Patterns (and DIY Accessories)
Costume Sewing Patterns for American Girl Dolls
These budget-friendly options are a great way to make a Harry Potter uniform, figure skating out, or bathing suit for your little one's favorite doll, and they're perfect projects for birthday presents or Christmas. Give your doll the designer look for less with these DIY doll costumes!
- American Girl Ice Skating Uniform Sewing Pattern
Few things are more fun to watch than talented athletes dancing across the ice, and now your doll can join the fray in her own, beautiful homemade outfit.
- Prima Ballerina Doll Ballet Outfit
If your daughter or granddaughter can't get enough of everything American Girl, then they'll love this adorable DIY ballet costume for their favorite doll.
- Doll Bikini Sewing Pattern
Create this project in minutes, then watch as your little doll collector enjoys playing with her doll's fancy new beachwear. After all, it's fun to dress up for the summer!
- Dollar Store Doll Clothes Patterns
This tutorial shows you how to turn a piece of fleece or dollar store fleece blanket into a nightgown for an American Girl Doll. Your daughter is going to love this idea.
- American Girl Inspired Colonial Doll Outfit
This AG colonial doll outfit is perfect for American Girl fans, especially if they can't get enough of Felicity. Find instructions for the skirt, apron, mop cap, and more.
- Doll Fleece Poncho
Learn how to make a quick and cozy poncho for an American Girl doll or 18" doll by watching this video tutorial. This is an easy sewing or no-sew project if you prefer.
- Beachy American Girl Doll Clothes
This adorable project helps you sew up a hooded towel for an American Girl Doll and is easily customized with different towel colors and ribbons.
- Scrubs Doll Clothes Patterns
These 18-inch doll scrubs are perfect for the little lady who one day wants to grow up to be a nurse or doctor. This outfit will help her doll get into character for a hospital.
- Harry Potter-Inspired Doll Sewing Pattern
Transport your doll to the magical world of one of the most beloved wizard films of all time with this Harry Potter-inspired American Girl doll costume pattern.
- Karate Doll Clothes Pattern
The new girl on the block is a real fighter! This karate costume pattern is a great way to learn how to sew doll clothes. Add a little kick to your children's toys by making this cool outfit.
American Girl Doll Accessories Patterns
American Girl doll clothes and accessories can be very expensive. It can be hard to help your girl keep her favorite doll stylish on a budget. Luckily for you, you know how to sew and can follow these AG doll accessories and clothes tutorials and make totally unique free doll clothes patterns on a budget! Along with our selection of easy 18-inch doll clothes patterns, we also have the cutest add-ons!
- American Girl DIY Infinity Scarf
This American Girl infinity scarf includes a simple tutorial that shows you how to use fabric scraps to create a one-of-a-kind scarf. It's a great project for beginners.
- Make a Doll Sized Shopping Bag
Learn to make a doll-sized shopping bag from felt, jute, and thread. This post features a free pattern and an 8 step tutorial to teach you how to make it.
- AG-Inspired Doll Sleeping Bag
American Girl can be expensive, so this fun doll accessory is a budget-friendly way to treat your little one to a delightful sleeping bag perfect for her favorite doll.
- DIY Baby Doll Carrier
Let your girl play pretend with her favorite little doll with this easy sewing project. This unique and absolutely adorable DIY Baby Doll Carrier looks just like a real mei tei.
- Doll Cardigan Sewing Pattern
Just follow the easy step-by-step tutorial to make a comfy little cardigan your doll can wrap up in during the cold winter months.
- How to Make Doll Socks
Do not waste your money on making clothes for American Girl Dolls. If you have five minutes, you can learn how to make doll socks that are so delightful.
- How to Make a Doll Backpack
Learn how to make a backpack for a doll when you check out this smart tutorial on making DIY doll clothes. Learning how to make American Girl Doll stuff has never been easier.
- American Girl DIY Doll Blanket
Does your child love dolls? Try making this American Girl doll blanket DIY that your child will adore! This accessory is the perfect size for an American Girl doll!
- Doll Tote Bag Pattern
If your daughter's doll is on the go as much as your daughter is, it only makes sense that she should have the proper accessories! Like this cute little tote bag that anyone can sew up.
- Make a Doll Size Travel Case
Using a tin container, learn how to make a doll size travel case for an 18" doll. This fun project is even easy enough for a child to help with or make themselves.
The only thing better than sewing yourself is sharing your love of the craft with your kids. With this adorable, stylish, and kooky collection of free sewing patterns for kids, you can inspire the sewing spirit in your little ones by letting them join in on the fun! Find it here: 45+ Free Printable Sewing Patterns for Kids
BONUS! History of Popular Dolls for Girls
Dolls have been popular playmates with young girls for centuries, but it wasn't until the 1900s that mass-produced dolls like Barbie became household names. From fashion dolls like Barbie and Skipper to baby dolls for younger girls, take a look at our brief history of popular dolls to find your favorite from childhood!
- Raggedy Ann - Before hard plastic dolls of the 1940s and 50s, soft cloth dolls were popular with girls, especially Raggedy Ann. Did you know she was first patented in 1915?
- Barbie - The most popular fashion doll of all time, Barbie was first created in 1959 and was inspired by a German doll called Lilli.
- Chatty Cathy - One of the first talking baby dolls, Chatty Cathy was second in popularity to Barbie in the early 1960s.
- Cabbage Patch Kids - Hugely popular in the 1980s, Cabbage Patch Kids were invented in 1983 and were featured on the cover of Newsweek.
- American Girl Dolls - American Girl released their line of historical dolls in 1986. Samantha, Kirsten, and Molly were the first group of AG dolls released.
- Baby Born - Baby dolls had a revival in popularity during the early 1990s, with Baby Born being one of the most favored.
- Bratz - First released in 2001, Bratz dolls were alternative fashion dolls that came adorned with eye shadow and lip gloss, a nod to popular teen style.
This collection is part of our NSM celebration. To see everything we featured this year, check back on this page to see the newest piece of content we've released >>> National Sewing Month 2019
Get the latest sewing patterns and tutorials by signing up for our newsletter
Click to join Sewing it Up!
What was the name of your first doll?
Let us know below in the comments!
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Project of the Day
Make homemade curtains with this free sewing pattern. These Vintage Button Kitchen Curtains look great in a kitchen or hanging from a… Continue reading: "Vintage Button Kitchen Curtains"
- 45 Free Printable Sewing Patterns
- Comfortably Bold Shirt Refashion Pattern
- Patchwork Maxi Skirt Pattern
- 500+ Tutorials for Making Your Own Clothes
- 75+ Free Dress Patterns
- 19 Free Vest Sewing Patterns
- DIY Pom Pom Sweater
- Make Your Own Lingerie Guide
- 30+ American Girl Doll Sewing Patterns
- Fashion of the 1950s: 41 Vintage Sewing Projects
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- How To Make An Elastic Waist Skirt
- Foldable Grocery Bag
- SpraynBond Adhesives & Fabric Stiffener
- Bampton Drawstring Bag
- Easy Purse
- Denim Hexagon Mats
- Turning Japanese Bag Free Sewing Tutorial
- Sexy Comfortable Panties For Curvy Ladies
- Diy Sensory Toys For Babies
- Diy Muscle-soothing Rice Heat Pack
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Project
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners