National Sewing Month 2019
Celebrate with us during the month of September with new videos, free sewing patterns, projects, tips, and more!
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
September is National Sewing Month! We have been patiently counting down the days for this month to arrive once again so that we can show you our brand new set of content, videos, and prizes. Our annual celebration of sewing is always our favorite of the year.
Not only is this month-long celebration a great way for sewists to focus even more on their craft and revel in their skill, but it's the ideal time for beginners or those who have never sewn before to get started and focus on this beloved craft.
Every year we participate in National Sewing Month and last year was our most impressive and popular yet. That is, until now. This year we have five fabulous weeks full of exciting ideas, resources, projects, videos, and so much more to help you learn new abilities or add new projects to your to-sew list.
Check back on this page daily to see the newest piece of content we're releasing. We are so delighted to celebrate National Sewing Month with you during this September. Plus, these pages will be helpful to sewists any time of year so be sure to keep them in mind when you're looking to work on a new project!
UPDATE! With your help, we also collected 111 pillowcases for the 1 Million Pillowcase Challenge (benefiting A New Direction Beverly Morgan Park)! Thanks to everyone who donated for your support. We also gave away a brand-new Janome sewing machine (congrats Dianne Y from Michigan)!
Get the latest sewing patterns and tutorials by signing up for our Sewing it Up newsletter!
GRAND PRIZE GIVEAWAY:
Welcome to our month-wide promotion for National Sewing Month in September! This year, our grand prize was so exciting that we a record number of entries!
This year we gave away a Janome Sewist 780DC Sewing Machine valued at $1,099 to one lucky winner!
This brand new, state-of-the-art machine is simple to use and perfect for any sewist. It's a fully-computerized sewing machine that is packed with time-saving features. Read through some of those features:
- Machine includes 80 stitches, for many various sewing applications.
- When a stitch is selected, the LCD screen shows the selected stitch, recommended foot, default stitch width and length, which you can change to suit your requirements.
- The Sewist 780DC also offers a choice of 3 styles of one-step buttonholes.
- It features an automatic thread cutter which, when activated, trims the top and bobbin thread at the same time, pulling the top thread to the underside of the fabric.
- Stitch elongation on satin stitches allows the stitch pattern to be elongated of up to 5 times the default stitch length.
- Easy set bobbin system; auto bobbin winder system; built-in needle threader; needle up/down button; and an auto-lock stitch feature for precision locking off of stitches and patterns.
- The start/stop button allows you to sew without a foot control.
Don't forget, to stay updated on everything sewing-related, be sure to subscribe to AllFreeSewing's newsletter, Sewing It Up. You'll see the latest National Sewing Month pages and so much more.
All National Sewing Month Giveaways:
If you thought that the amazing Janome machine was all we gave away this month, boy, were you mistaken! Below, you can see all of the amazing giveaways we featured throughout the month of September! The following giveaways are no longer available. Check back next year to see what we have to offer.
- C&T Publishing $200 Gift Card Giveaway - worth $200
- Jungle Green Silk Sari Fat Quarter Giveaway - worth $38.99
- Fabric Palette Whimsical Sheep Super Pac Giveaway - worth $13.99
- Riley Blake Sweet Stems Fabric Stacker Set Giveaway - worth $20
- BONUS! Mystery Prize from our Sewing Prize Closet (for completing our scavenger hunt) - worth $100
CHECK OUT OUR LATEST GIVEAWAYS!
Week 1 (9/1–8):
Day 4: How to Get Started Sewing Clothes by Rebecca George from Purple and Lime
Day 5: National Sewing Month Scavenger Hunt - play for your chance to win a prize!
Day 6: How to Make a Quilted Potholder by Angel Peterson for AllFreeSewing
Week 2 (9/9–15):
Day 9: Sewing Inspiration: How to Reignite the Creative Spark by Rose Johnston from Threadbare Creations
Day 10: How to Make a Soft Baby Blanket by Carolina Moore for AllFreeSewing
and a Facebook Live event with Alexandra from The Hedgehog Hollow:
Day 11: 34 Downton Abbey Sewing Patterns by Krista Childers for AllFreeSewing
Day 12: Facebook Live event with Mary Beth from Tailor Made Cosplay:
Day 13: DIY Hanging Laundry Bag (Reversible!) by Maureen Wilson for AllFreeSewing
Day 14: How to Sew Vinyl by Lisa Mecham from Creative Fashion Blog
Week 3 (9/16–22):
Day 16: How to Sew a Ripped Seam by Rebecca George from Purple and Lime
Day 17: 10 Sewing Blogs for Over 50 by Jaji Hammer for AllFreeSewing
Day 18: Poppy Mini Market Bag Sewing Pattern by Molly Freudenberg from Craft Weekly
with a Facebook Live event for the video tutorial:
Day 19: Self-Healing Cutting Mat Care by Rose Johnston from Threadbare Creations
Day 20: No-Sew Triangle Coin Purse Pattern by Lisa Mecham from Creative Fashion Blog
Week 4 (9/23–29):
Day 24: How to Make a Scrunchie (Easy!) by Molly Freudenberg from Craft Weekly
Day 25: How to Cut Fabric: Tips and Tricks by Kaylee Pope for AllFreeSewing
Day 26: How to Wash Flannel: The Master Guide by Krista Childers for AllFreeSewing
Day 27: Scandinavian Flowers Cushion Pattern by Anna Wilson from Tea and a Sewing Machine
Day 28: How to Gather Fabric by Angel Peterson for AllFreeSewing
Day 29: How Much Fabric Do I Need for a Quilt? by Krista Childers at AllFreeSewing and Deidre Quirk for C&T Publishing
Week 5 (9/30–10/1):
Want a quick recap instead? Take a look at our Best of National Sewing Month 2019 guide.
Plus, we also made a Best of National Sewing Month 2018 page, so be sure to check it out to see what you may have missed from last year's celebration.
Thanks so much for joining us! We'll see you next year.
Do you prefer to hand sew or machine sew?
Let us know in the comments below!
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
- Homemade Heating Pad
- Buddy Holly DIY Glasses Case
- Grandma's Pincushion Thread Catcher Tutorial
- Ladylike Fabric Bookmark
- Garden Bucket Tool Belt
- Exercise Pedometer Armband
- Dirndl Clothespin Bag
- Over(ly) Easy Pincushion
- 40+ Scrap Fabric Projects
- 21 DIY Organization Ideas and Free Sewing Patterns for Hanging Organizers
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Sewing With Flannel: Tips You Need To Know
- How To Make A Sherpa Fleece And Flannel Blanket
- Types of Clothing Closures
- How To Miter Corners
- Fabric Pumpkins
- Fabric Pumpkin Tutorial - 90's Grunge Shirt
- Button Up Shirt To Dress Tutorial
- Shorten A Sweater From The Bottom With Hem Tape
- Tutorial: Easy Linen Napkins
- Easy Diy Wool Dress Tutorial
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Project
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners