50+ Quick and Easy Sewing Projects
Short on time? Then these fast and easy free sewing patterns are just what you need!
By: Karisa Tell, Editor, AllFreeSewing.com
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
Love to sew but short on time? Try one of these quick and easy sewing projects. Make clothing and home decor accents quickly and easily with these beginner sewing projects. The subscribers of our free email newsletter, Sewing It Up, loved our 5 Minute Sewing Projects issue, like the 5 Minute Skirt, 5 Minute Kleenex Holder, and 5 Minute Bread Bag, so we decided to put together a quick and easy sewing guide. Sew one or all of these quick projects; you'll have enough time for as many as you want!
Plus, don't miss our video on how to sew an easy plastic bag dispenser!
Table of Contents
Find easy sewing projects in our preview of Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners. Download these two easy sewing projects today! Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners
Quick DIY Home Decor
These quick and easy sewing projects will transform your home from drab to fab in no time! Go big on style without spending a lot of time--all you need are these free sewing patterns and a few minutes. Your home decor can look professional and stylish no matter how hectic your life is.
- DIY Remote Caddy TutorialIf you're tired of picking up remotes, magazines, and books off of your living room floor, then you'll love this simple DIY organizer. This DIY Remote Caddy Tutorial shows you how to make a simple and chic organizer for your living room or den in just a few simple steps, so that you can keep your home organized in no time.
- Patterned Pillow Cover in MinutesEveryone loves to change things up around the home, but that can get pricey. Avoid the retail cost of home decorating with sewing projects like this Patterned Pillow Cover in Minutes. Follow along with this tutorial to learn how to make a pillow cover with any fabric in just five minutes.
- 5 Minute Bread BagMake a simple bag to keep bread in or to use as a gift bag with this easy beginner sewing project. The 5 minute bread bag really does take only 5 minutes! Whether you use this bag for a special family meal, a party, or just to keep your counter looking neat and tidy, you'll surely thank yourself for making it.
- 5 Minute PillowsYou can make this sewn pillow pattern during commercial breaks, while you're waiting for your coffee to brew, or even when you are on hold. The 5 Minute Pillows are going to impress guests and they never have to know that these cuties only took you a little bit of time to create.
- How to Make Cloth NapkinsThis How to Make Cloth Napkins tutorial shows you exactly how to sew some stylish and cute cloth napkins for your next dinner party. It comes with some extra cute napkin ring ideas, too. If you are planning a dinner party, you absolutely need to check out this tutorial.
- No Sew DIY Ironing BoardTired of dragging your bulky ironing board into your sewing room just to press a few seams? Say hello to this No Sew DIY Ironing Board, a mini DIY ironing board that is made from upcycling furniture. Instead of selling an old unused table at a garage sale, you can staple fabric to it and be ready to iron in a matter of minutes.
- Add Pompoms to a Cushion or PillowAdd Pompoms to a Cushion or Pillow as you make it! This quick, easy-peasy technique will put a put a playful pop of color into any project, especially a handmade pillow like the one pictured here. These instructions can be used with any homemade pillow, so use them with whatever project you prefer.
- No Sew Pillow Cover VideoLearn how to make a pillow cover that's quick, easy, and low-maintenance. Follow the easy instructions in this No Sew Pillow Cover Video to whip up a homemade pillowcase that'll breathe new life into your living room without costing an arm and a leg.
- Framed Ruffly HeartPut your fabric on your walls this Valentine's Day with this free, easy holiday craft. Make a Framed Ruffly Heart to hang up and decorate your home for the holiday, or all year round. This lovey dovey idea will take you under an hour to make and it is extra cheap, too!
- Ruffled Lamp ShadeIf you know how to sew ruffles, you know how to make this Ruffled Lamp Shade! Use our easy, beginner sewing projects to make one for your home. This piece of incredible quirky DIY home dcor will add some texture to any room, making it all the more interesting.
- 10 Minute Little PillowThis adorable and teeny DIY pillow pattern takes almost no time to make. In just ten minutes, you can decorate and sew up this fancy, little piece and place it in your home. The 10 Minute Little Pillow is a great gift for the mom who loves knickknacks.
- Upcycled Sweater PillowcaseWhen you have outgrown an old sweater, turn it into an Upcycled Sweater Pillowcase. Whether your old sweater is too small or simply too worn it, you can still give it a second life with this great sewing project. This DIY project will show you how to take your old cozy sweater and transform it into a unique pillowcase.
- Vintage Button Kitchen CurtainsMake homemade curtains with this free sewing pattern. These Vintage Button Kitchen Curtains look great in a kitchen or hanging from a bedroom window to add some quirky flair to your sleeping space. You are going to love making and hanging this free curtain pattern in your home.
- Simple Lace and Burlap Table RunnerThis Simple Lace and Burlap Table Runner is so pretty, all dressed up with lace and ruffles. It's a great way to add color to your dining room, and it's perfect for using up fabrics and trim in your stash. If you want to learn how to make a table runner, sewing with burlap is a good way to add some character to your dining room table.
- 2 Yard Ruffle Pillow ShamGive your bedroom a dreamy, rustic makeover without spending a lot with this back to basics 2 Yard Ruffle Pillow Sham. Using only 2 yards of fabric, you can give your bedding an instant upgrade with this easy sewing tutorial.
No Brainer Easy Refashioning Projects
Reusing, repurposing, recycling, upcycling, and refashioning are all quick, easy, and eco-friendly. Turn trash to treasure with one of these quick and easy sewing projects. Since you're working with pre-made items, half the work is already done for you!
- 20 Minute Spring Sweater RedoDoes your wardrobe need a touch of spring? Jazz up an old sweater with bright-colored buttons using this free sewing pattern. You'll love this pattern so much; it will put an extra spring in your step! This 20 Minute Spring Sweater Redo is one of those easy sewing projects that is going to have you wondering "why didn't I think of that?"
- Skirt From Men's Button DownOne of the easiest ways to save money and to look insanely trendy at the same time is to learn how to upcycle and how to refashion old pieces. It costs nothing to cut them up. This Skirt From Men's Button Down Idea shows you how to make a skirt for nothing at all. You are going to love this money-saving idea.
- One Step No-Sew Quilting GlovesWhat no one tells you when you first start machine quilting is just how tired your hands can get. Make your life just a little easier with these One Step No-Sew Quilting Gloves. These are a snap to make and come in so handy during big projects.
- Reusable T-Shirt BagReview the mess in your home. You've got a ton of paper bags and a ton of t-shirts. This would-be clutter can now be eliminated with the Reusable T-Shirt Bag. Easy bags to make can be both affordable and space-saving, especially with this tutorial.
- Comfortably Bold Shirt Refashion PatternYou might think you need years of sewing experience in order to make your own clothes, however this Comfortably Bold Shirt Refashion Pattern proves you can make clothes with any level of expertise. This free sewing pattern only takes about an hour to complete, and is one of those great projects that only requires 1 yard of fabric.
- Vintage Sheet Shower CurtainThrow out your old shower curtain and give your bathroom a cheery vintage makeover with this fun Vintage Sheet Shower Curtain tutorial. Forget boring shower curtains from the dollar store and have fun transforming a pretty patterned sheet into a fully functional shower curtain.
- Ten Minute Pillowcase ApronIf you are looking for easy aprons to sew, this Ten Minute Pillowcase Apron is for you. All you need to create free apron patterns that are cheap as they are cute is ten minutes, your machine, and an old pillowcase. Learn how to make an apron that looks just like the vintage sewing patterns of old by simply creating this easy apron pattern out of an old school print.
- 30 Minute Jeans Mending TutorialThere's nothing worse than a rip in your favorite jeans. Finding a new pair that fits right is next to impossible, not to mention expensive. Save yourself the headache and the pricetag with this 30 Minute Jeans Mending Tutorial.
- 10 Minute Free Apron PatternHave ten minutes to spare and an adorable dish towel? If you do, you could have a brand new, adorable, and practical apron in no time. This 10 Minute Free Apron Pattern is crafted from a dishtowel and is absolutely adorable.
- How to Make a Shirt LacyLearn how to upcycle that shirt to make it even more chic with this how to sew a shirt idea. All you need to do to make a shirt fancy is add a lace accent. How to Make a Shirt Lacy shows you how to do just that!
- Lengthen a Too Short TopDo you have a crop top you wish was longer? Are you a long-waisted woman with lots of short shirts? This tutorial to Lengthen a Too Short Top is a quick, simple and stylish solution that takes under 30 minutes. Go on, resurrect that cropped tee!
- Ladylike Teacup DIY PincushionForget about complicated sewing patterns and treat yourself to a fun project that's easy on your wallet with this Ladylike Teacup DIY Pincushion. Made with a delicate and dainty teacup, this DIY pincushion is an easy no sew project that you can make in under an hour, and is the perfect DIY gift idea for any sewist.
- Mom's Vintage Vendor ApronAdd some serious style to your next bake sale or garage sale with this easy tutorial for Mom's Vintage Vendor Apron. This free sewing tutorial is a quick and fun project that lets you transform a vintage pillowcase into a vendor apron that's perfect for your next big event.
Fast Clothing Patterns to Wear
These quick and easy sewing projects are faster than buying clothing from a store! You can look stylish and unique in as little as 5 minutes with these sewing patterns and tutorials. Just follow the simple directions and dress yourself from head to toe. You'll still have enough time to do everything else on your list!
- Simple 15 Minute SkirtIf you want a new piece in your wardrobe and have a half-hour to spare, there's no reason not to try this Simple 15 Minute Skirt. True to the name, it will only take you a fraction of an hour to learn how to make a skirt this cute.
- Elastic Waistband SkirtMake your own high-waisted skirt with this Elastic Waistband Skirt tutorial! It’s easy to throw on and adds a feminine touch to every outfit. If you are brand new to sewing and you need easy skirt sewing patterns, you're in the right place.
- 5 Minute SkirtIt takes only 5 minutes to make the 5 Minute Skirt, a free, easy sewing pattern for beginners. Whether you're in a hurry to get somewhere or you don't have time for a huge project, the 5 Minute Skirt is the perfect solution for you. You don't need to sacrifice quality for speed with this beautiful pattern.
- Easiest DIY Maxi SkirtMaxi skirts are forever fashionable and incredibly versatile. Wear them when it's hot out without suffocating in fabric, and wear them in the cold and feel properly covered. The Easiest DIY Maxi Skirt tutorial is so easy to make that even a beginner could tackle this project.
- Quick Change Corsage NecklaceMake a Quick Change Corsage Necklace using a fabric flower that you can sew yourself! Use this sewing accessories pattern to make a lovely necklace that can be dressed up or down. Use a piece of costume jewelry like this one as the heart of any outfit to give it a face lift.
- 30 Minute J Crew Inspired TankIf you have a half an hour, you can make this fashionable tank top. Don't spend full price for the latest styles. Instead, sew this 30 Minute J Crew Inspired Tank yourself! It might seem impossible, but you really can learn how to sew a tank that looks just like a top from one of your favorite stores for less than half the price.
- Scrapbuster Hair Bow TutorialAdd the perfect feminine touch to your bun or other favorite hairstyle with this Scrapbuster Hair Bow Tutorial. This free sewing tutorial teaches you how to make a hair bow out of small scraps of fabric so that you can dress up your bun whether you're going for a casual or dressy look.
Quick Sewing Patterns for Kids
Even children can have a homemade wardrobe in a flash! In fact, children are even quicker and easier to sew for because their clothing is smaller. Make some of these adorable, quick and easy sewing projects to dress your child in style without wasting your time.
- How to Make A Tutu DressLearning how to make a tutu has never been easier. If you have a little dancer in your life, you absolute have to get started on this How to Make a Tutu Dress tutorial. Any pretty little princess will feel absolutely royal when she slips on this adorable little tutu dress.
- Quick Baby BonnetMake an adorable bonnet for your grandchild with this free sewing pattern. Decorative and heirloom stitches make this bonnet a great project for intermediate level crafters. If you are looking for sewing for baby patterns, this idea is the cutest you will come by.
- No-Sew Aprons for KidsThere are plenty of reasons to learn how to make an apron for your kiddo. Maybe you want them to feel like they are your special helper in the kitchen or need something to keep them clean while crafting. Either way, this No-Sew Apron for Kids is your solution to your apron-less child dilemma.
- How to Make Baby LeggingsWant to know How to Make Baby Leggings? Here's a free, printable pattern and tutorial for these adorable drop crotch style baby leggings. These are cute, comfy, and so easy to make! They're the perfect fit for babies 6-12 months and even accommodate cloth diapers.
- Quick and Easy Two Tiered SkirtSew up a Quick and Easy Two-Tiered Skirt for a special little girl using these simple sewing projects for kids. Your daughter will feel like a princess in this poufy, girly skirt. Learn how to make a skirt in under an hour with this free girls skirt sewing pattern.
- Ruffle Butt OnesieEmbellish your baby's onesie with adorable ruffles! These baby sewing projects will show you all you need to know about sewing baby clothes so you can make a ruffle butt onesie. Learn how to make a onesies extra cute by adding some texture on the behind.
- Bandana Bib TutorialThis Bandana Bib Tutorial will show you how to make baby bibs from microfleece-backed cotton or cotton jersey. They'll absorb any dribble while keeping the clothes (and baby) underneath dry. These bibs are quick to make and can be made in as many fabrics and colors as you want.
- Toddler Bow Headband Sewing PatternLearn how to make a precious accessory for your little one with this Toddler Bow Headband Sewing Pattern. You don't have to be an expert seamstress for this undertaking, because it's about as simple and easy as they come.
Simple and Chic DIY Accessories
One of the best types of quick sewing projects are DIY accessories, because they're a fast and simple way to update your wardrobe in no time. From trendy scarves that are perfect for spring or fall, to beginner-friendly bags you can make in under an hour, give your wardrobe an easy makeover with these accessory sewing patterns.
- DIY Kate Spade Key FobTreat yourself to the designer look for less with a Kate Spade inspired project that will keep you fashion forward and organized. This DIY Kate Spade Key Fob is a quick and easy sewing project that you can finish in an hour or less, and adds the perfect touch of class to your purse.
- Chicken Feed Bag TutorialThis Chicken Feed Bag Tutorial is super easy and takes less than an hour to make. All you need for this DIY bag is a feed sack and a fat quarter of fabric. If you're looking for recycled craft ideas, you'll love this simple bag.
- Pride and Prejudice Infinity Scarf PatternTake your all-time favorite, beloved classic with you wherever you go with this Pride and Prejudice Infinity Scarf Pattern. Learn how to sew an infinity scarf with this quick and easy tutorial.
- Denim Flower DIY NecklaceTurn your old jeans into something brand new with this simple sewing project that you can easily dress up or down. This Denim Flower DIY Necklace is a perfectly charming way to recycle old jeans, and shows you how to create delicate denim blossoms that are a fabulous addition to your jewelry collection.
- Multi-Way Kita ScarfThe Multi-Way Kita Scarf is perfect for all occasions. You can wear it in so many different ways, and it will look like a new garment every time. Sewing a scarf has never been so easy, thanks to this simple tutorial that will yield great results.
- Lightweight Infinity ScarfJazz up your wardrobe with this Lightweight Infinity Scarf, the latest feature of the summer scarf trend. If you want to learn how to sew a scarf that will stay in-season all year, check out this great fashion scarf pattern.
- One Hour BagLearn how to make a purse in one hour with this stunning free purse pattern for sewing. The One Hour Bag will honestly only take you one hour to create, and you will get hours and hours of use out of this simple and convenient bag.
- Simple Summer ToteSling this Simple Summer Tote over your shoulder and you're ready for any adventure. It's loose structure makes it a great everyday bag. Learn how to sew your own purse with this tutorial, it's perfect for beginners!
More Quick and Easy Sewing Projects
We know you can't get enough quick and easy sewing projects, so we're throwing in a bunch more! There are projects that are sewing for beginners, but even advanced sewists can appreciate these free sewing patterns.
- Dreaming Diva Sleep Mask Sewing PatternLearn how to make a sleep mask fit for a queen with this Dreaming Diva Sleep Mask Sewing Pattern. You deserve nothing but the best, and this cute sewn accessory gives sewists both the simplicity and style they crave in crafty projects.
- Twenty Minute ToteThis tote bag pattern is one of our most popular projects and it is easy to see why! You can carry anything in the Twenty Minute Tote, and you can make a dozen of them since it sews up so quickly! Use this sewing tutorial to learn how to sew your own purse in whatever fabric you want.
- Easy Laminated Shower CapThere's nothing worse than getting ready for a night out on the town only to ruin your hair in the bath or shower while getting ready. Save your hair from humidity and water with this Easy Laminated Shower Cap that's perfect for everyone.
- DIY Makeup Brush RollKeep your makeup brushes organized and clean with this simple sewing project that's the perfect gift idea for women, teens, and tweens. This DIY Makeup Brush Roll is a handy way to use a printed half yard of fabric, and is a great beginner sewing project that's pretty and functional.
- 5 Minute DIY BookmarkIf you need a quick gift for anyone, the 5 Minute DIY Bookmark is the perfect way to show someone you care without spending a ton of time or money on a gift. It's a great DIY gift for beginners or kids to make, especially for Father's Day if that special father in your life loves to read.
- 2-for-1 Reversible PouchWhether you're a pirate, a princess, or just a crafty sewist who likes to keep all her belongings safe and secure, the 2-for-1 Reversible Pouch ought to move to the top of your To Sew list. This free purse pattern is just the right size to carry easy-to-lose belongings like wallets and cell phones and adds a unique twist to any outfit.
- Coloring Book Caddy"The coloring book caddy tutorial uses 3 fat quarters and can fit 4-6 coloring books and pencils or pens. It's a great project for beginners and even to make with your kids! The coloring book caddy also is great for adults and older children for music books and adult coloring books!"
- Travel Shave Kit Sewing PatternCreate a nifty, thrifty carry-on you can take with you all over the world with this Travel Shave Kit Sewing Pattern. From New York to Tokyo, this free sewing pattern is the perfect sewn accessory to take with you on your travels. With a basic zipper, this project is super-easy to make, even if you're not the most experienced sewist.
- 30 Minute Sleep Mask Pattern"Get access to this easy step-by-step picture sewing tutorial and free sewing template to make a super practical sleeping mask. The sleeping mask sewing pattern and tutorial will take only 30 minutes to make! This is a great project when you have little time to sew, or a weekend sewing project. It is also ideal for beginners and kids who would like to make something simple."
- One Hour SoftieSpend the next hour making these adorable softies. With cute details, it's hard to believe you can make the One Hour Softie in such short time. Let this easy sewing tutorial show you how.
- Super Easy Lanyard and Key Chain WristletNever lose your keys again, thanks to this Super Easy Lanyard and Key Chain Wristlet! These handy accessories are so cute and will save you from hours locked out of the car or the house.
- 15 Minute DIY Coffee CozyThis funky and fun coffee cozy can be created in fifteen minutes or less. So, if you are on the hunt for a last-minute DIY gift you have found the ideal project. Created by using materials you can easily find in your stash or at the dollar store, this 15 Minute DIY Coffee Cozy is easy to personalize and entirely unique.
- Ahoy DIY Baby ToysYour baby is going to be the captain of their own fun ship when you learn how to make a toy that they are going to absolutely love.The Ahoy DIY Baby Toys pattern shows you how to make easy and quick, DIY baby shower gifts in under an hour. Little hands are going to love playing with this nautical, free sewing for baby pattern.
- DIY Rustic Checkers GameWith this DIY Rustic Checkers Game, you can easily create and take old-school fun with you wherever you go - even outdoors! This cute tutorial will show you how to sew a toy you can take with you on a hiking trip, a biking trip, or just a trip to your backyard.
- 5 Minute Kleenex HolderTake advantage of one of the easiest simple sewing projects out there and create a nifty, thrifty 5 Minute Kleenex Holder. Whether you suffer from seasonal allergies or simply get a little emotional from time to time, that doesn't mean you can't sniffle in style.
BONUS! Best New Beginner Sewing Pattern
- Patchwork Picnic Blanket TutorialSpring weather means it's almost time for cookout season, so what better way to start off spring than by designing a gorgeous picnic blanket? This Patchwork Picnic Blanket Tutorial lets you transform 3 1/2 yards of bright spring fabric into a simple picnic blanket that's perfect for family trips or church cookouts. This picnic blanket tutorial shows you how to combine simple patchwork with a budget-friendly vinyl tablecloth so that your blanket is spill-proof and protected from the elements. This project is great for sewing beginners and is a super quick make, meaning your family will be dining in style in no time. Pack away your complicated quilts and embrace a simple and stress-free project with this blanket tutorial.
Download the 12 Beautiful Tote Purse Patterns eBook: Find 12 free tote projects to create bags large enough for trips to the library, the gym or the beach. Also included are simple clutch ideas so you can make smaller bags ideal for nights out or quick day trips. 12 Beautiful Tote Purse Patterns eBook
How much time do you like to spend on a project? Let us know below in the comments!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- 54 Retro Free Vintage Sewing Patterns
- Kitty Rice Heating Pack Pattern
- Too Cool for Spool Mug Rugs
- How to Make DIY Felt Flowers
- Posh Leather DIY Cord Organizer
- 25+ Easy Fabric Flower Patterns
- 100+ Sewing Projects by the Yard
- 35 Free Doll Clothes Patterns and DIY Accessories
- Top 100 Free Sewing Patterns of 2016
- iPod or iPhone Case Stand
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Project
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- 5 Minute Free Bag Pattern
- Little Girl Purse with Flap
- The Easiest DIY Bag on the Planet to Sew
- One Yard Dish Towel Tote Bag
- Easy Ruffle Apron
- Adult Bib Apron
- One Hour Free Apron Patterns
- Adjustable Kitchen Apron
- Basic Utility Free Apron Pattern
- Magic 8 Method Tutorial for Making HSTs