10+ Free Bathing Suit Sewing Patterns (for Women and Girls)
Hit the pool in style with these swimsuit ideas that are perfect for summer!
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
The sun is high in the sky and the waves at the beach are calling your name. Whether summer is on its way or here to stay, it's always a good idea to have swimsuit ideas in mind. It's even better to have a DIY swimsuit in mind. That's why we put together 10+ Free Bathing Suit Sewing Patterns (for Women and Girls).
Instead of buying brand new and expensive suits, you can create summer duds out of your winter duds, scraps you may have around, or new, beautiful bathing suit fabric you love. Once you learn how to make a swimsuit, you'll never want to go back to buying them. These swimsuit ideas for summer will help you soak up the summer rays in style.
Not only are there some amazing bathing suit sewing patterns for both women and younger girls, but we included a bonus section, too! After you find the perfect bathing suit to make, scroll down to the Sewing Patterns for Swimsuit Cover Ups section.
Table of Contents
Summer fashion is a great way for everyone to express their individuality. These 40+ tutorials will show you how to sew shorts that everyone in your family will be excited to bust out as soon as the forecast says "sunshine." 40+ Free Shorts Patterns (to Sew)
Free Bathing Suit Patterns for Women
Buying a brand new swimsuit can be insanely expensive. It seems like each year store-bought suits grow more and more expensive. Save yourself a dime by learning how to make swimsuits all by yourself with these how to make a swimsuit tutorials.
- Simple and Stylish Swimsuit PatternsYou can easily transform your plain bathing suit into one that will catch everyone's attention. Check out these Simple and Stylish Swimsuit Patterns to see how you can give your bathing suits a makeover. These DIY swimsuits are perfect for anyone who is looking for swimwear that will really make a splash.
- Twist and Tie DIY Bikini TopWouldn't it be great if you could spend less than a hefty twenty dollars on your swimsuit pieces? With the Twist and Tie DIY Bikini Top, you can. From this easy-to-read tutorial you can learn how to sew a swimsuit top that looks store bought.
- Vintage High Waist BikiniYou can sew yourself a bathing suit that will really make a splash. Check out this tutorial on how to sew a Vintage High Waist Bikini. This project is a great way to save money without sacrificing style.
- Summer Two Piece SwimsuitHave you ever wondered how to sew a swimsuit? Get ready for fun in the sun with this Summer Two Piece Swimsuit. This bikini sewing template looks great!
- Simple DIY SwimsuitIt is so difficult to find an affordable, flattering swimsuit. Avoid stressful stores and learn how to make a bathing suit yourself with this Simple DIY Swimsuit. This two-piece suit is modest, yet flattering, keeping you covered and comfortable while you splash around with the kids.
- How to Sew Bathing Suit FabricPLUS! Learn the specifics needed for sewing bathing suit fabric. These tips and tricks will assure that you make the perfect suit without trouble. Be sure to check it out before tackling a DIY bathing suit for the first time.
Swimwear Sewing Patterns for Girls
Kids grow way too quickly. They can never wear a new suit from one year to the next. Save some money by learning how to make a swimsuit for your little man or little lady. These how to make a swimsuit tutorials for kids are easy, quick, and absolutely adorable. Plus, you won't have to struggle through department store shelves to find a one piece!
- If you have a sun suit already created for your little one but think it is seriously lacking some flair, check out this Ruffled DIY Sun Suit tutorial. This free sewing how-to shows you the exact steps you need to take to add ruffles to an already existing swimsuit for your kiddo.
- A Big Splash Swimsuit TutorialDive into summer with A Big Splash Swimsuit Tutorial. This tutorial will teach you how to sew a girls' one piece swimsuit. Girls' summer sewing patterns like this are sure to make a splash at the beach and the pool!
- Free Toddler Swim Suit PatternGoodness, there are few cuter DIY swimsuits for girls than this! This bathing suit has comfortable yet stylish straps and a cute little skirt. The pattern is for a toddler size 2 or 3 but the designer says that it can be easily adjusted for length.
- How to Make a SwimsuitThese days it can be hard to find a cute one piece even if you are looking for a suit for a little girl. One-pieces are great for kids as they help avoid painful and dangerous sunburn by covering sensitive bellies and backs. This adorable girls' swimsuit is a one-piece and easy to make.
- Pennies SwimsuitIf your child needs a new swimsuit, try these free sewing patterns for kids! The pennies swimsuit is the easiest, thriftiest way to make a homemade swimsuit for the little ones to wear to the pool.
- Beach Baby Free Tankini PatternMade with less than 1 yard of swimsuit fabric, this DIY tankini top is a great intro project for working with stretchy fabric, and is linked to a tutorial for making adorable ruffled diaper covers, so that you can make your granddaughter a complete swimsuit without breaking the bank.
BONUS! Sewing Patterns for Swimsuit Cover Ups
If you love the beach but tend to burn easily, swimsuit covers are your best friend while you are lounging in the sand. Learn how to make a swimsuit cover with these cute patterns and you will be all set for summer.
- Easy Beach CoverupSew this comfy knit Easy Beach Coverup for your next trip to the beach! This easy sewing pattern uses light, cool fabric that won't make you overheat between dips in the ocean. If you're ready for summer sand, sun, and waves, make this DIY swimsuit cover up your next project.
- Beach Bum Cover-UpThis Beach Bum Cover-Up is based on a beachwear collection from Victoria's Secret. Created from several pieces of old clothes, it will be extra soft and comfy for your beach lounging days. This is the perfect piece to prepare for a spring break vacation, as well.
- Beach Towel DressSay hello to sunshine! The Beach Towel Dress is a fantastic easy sewing project for welcoming warmer weather. Most swimsuit cover-ups for women are somewhat impractical - if they are made of thin material, then they are rendered useless when your swimsuit is wet. Instead, wear a dress made from a beach towel!
- How to Make a Bathing Suit CoverupLearn how to make a bathing suit coverup that offers a bit more coverage without sacrificing style! This swimsuit cover up can be made in any size so you can make one for yourself and one for your daughter.
- Frumpy Dress to Swimsuit CoverupFrumpy Dress to Swimsuit Coverup is a simple project with chic results. Turn a dowdy dress from a secondhand store into an adorable sundress or cover-up! Wardrobe refashioning is an excellent way to be unique and economical.
- Snazzy DIY Beach Cover UpYou will be so excited to put on this Snazzy DIY Beach Cover Up that you may not even wait to get to the beach! Fortunately, there is always a pool around town where you can show off your DIY swimsuit cover up. Learn how to sew a kimono-inspired cover up with this great tutorial.
- Pom Pom DIY Beach Cover UpThere is nothing more relaxing than spending an entire day lounging beside a body of water. With this Pom Pom DIY Beach Cover Up, you will feel extra trendy while doing so. If it’s the early morning and there’s a cool breeze in the air, this cover up is the perfect way to stay warm.
- Victoria's Secret Inspired Backless Swim CoverKeep your body tan free while still looking gorgeous by wearing a Victoria's Secret Inspired Backless Swim Cover on your next trip to the beach. For a much smaller cost, you can make your own clothes that are also great wearable summer crafts for all ages. Forget spending $50 on your next trip to the store; just grab your favorite fabric and challenge yourself to design and make your own clothes that look like they're straight off the runway.
- Boat Club Dress PatternDesign a gorgeous lightweight summer dress that doubles as a swimsuit coverup for those warm days spent at the beach with this free sewing pattern. This Boat Club Dress Pattern is the ultimate way to go from the beach to dinner, and comes with a free printable pattern for sizes small to large.
If you love these swimsuits and DIY clothing ideas, you will love 28+ Summer Tops Sewing Patterns
What do you always bring to the beach? Let us know in the comments below!
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- No-Sew Sloth Hoodie
- Women's Raglan Shirt
- Christmas Embroidery Hoop
- DIY Polar Bear Pillow
- DIY Snowman Hoop Ornament
- Rolled Hem with a Serger
- Kawaii Gift Box
- Handmade Pincushion and Pattern Weights Set
- Sewing With Leather for the First Time
- Sweet DIY Candy Ornaments - 2 FREE Templates!
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Project
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners