How to Make a Swimsuit + 15 DIY Clothing Ideas for Summer
Hit the pool in style with these free swimsuit patterns that are perfect for summer!
By: Kaylee Pope, Editor, AllFreeSewing.com
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
The sun is high in the sky and the waves at the beach are calling your name. It is officially summer and it is time to start dressing like it. DIY clothing ideas and upcycled clothing are perfect for the summer season. Instead of buying brand new and expensive pieces, you can create summer duds out of your winter duds. From cut-off shorts to DIY bathing suit covers, these summer clothing projects will give you a brand new wardrobe. You’ll even learn how to make a swimsuit! These comfy and easy DIY clothing ideas for summer will help you soak up the summer rays in style. From DIY bathing suits for women to DIY clothes projects for shorts and skirts, How to Make a Swimsuit + 15 DIY Clothing Ideas for Summer has it all. So, slather on your suntan lotion, beach babes. It is time to learn how to make swimsuits, shorts, and other DIY clothing ideas for summer.
Table of Contents
Summer fashion is a great way for everyone to express their individuality. These 40+ tutorials will show you how to sew shorts that everyone in your family will be excited to bust out as soon as the forecast says "sunshine." How to Sew Shorts: 40+ Free Shorts Patterns
How to Make a Swimsuit
Buying a brand new swimsuit can be insanely expensive. It seems like each year store-bought suits grow more and more expensive. Save yourself a dime by learning how to make swimsuits all by yourself with these how to make a swimsuit tutorials.
- Simple and Stylish Swimsuit PatternsYou can easily transform your plain bathing suit into one that will catch everyone's attention. Check out these Simple and Stylish Swimsuit Patterns to see how you can give your bathing suits a makeover. These DIY swimsuits are perfect for anyone who is looking for swimwear that will really make a splash.
- Twist and Tie DIY Bikini TopWouldn't it be great if you could spend less than a hefty twenty dollars on your swimsuit pieces? With the Twist and Tie DIY Bikini Top, you can. From this easy-to-read tutorial you can learn how to sew a swimsuit top that looks store bought.
- Vintage High Waist BikiniYou can sew yourself a bathing suit that will really make a splash. Check out this tutorial on how to sew a Vintage High Waist Bikini. This project is a great way to save money without sacrificing style.
- Summer Two Piece SwimsuitHave you ever wondered how to sew a swimsuit? Get ready for fun in the sun with this Summer Two Piece Swimsuit. This bikini sewing template looks great!
- Simple DIY SwimsuitIt is so difficult to find an affordable, flattering swimsuit. Avoid stressful stores and learn how to make a bathing suit yourself with this Simple DIY Swimsuit. This two-piece suit is modest, yet flattering, keeping you covered and comfortable while you splash around with the kids.
Kids' Bathing Suit Tutorials
Kids grow way too quickly. They can never wear a new suit from one year to the next. Save some money by learning how to make a swimsuit for your little man or little lady. These how to make a swimsuit tutorials for kids are easy, quick, and absolutely adorable. Plus, you won't have to struggle through department store shelves to find a one piece!
- Ruffled DIY Sun SuitIf you have a sun suit already created for your little one but think it is seriously lacking some flair, check out this Ruffled DIY Sun Suit tutorial. This free sewing how-to shows you the exact steps you need to take to add ruffles to an already existing swimsuit for your kiddo.
- A Big Splash Swimsuit TutorialDive into summer with A Big Splash Swimsuit Tutorial. This tutorial will teach you how to sew a girls' one piece swimsuit. Girls' summer sewing patterns like this are sure to make a splash at the beach and the pool!
- Swim TrunksMake sure your little boy is ready for the beach with these Swim Trunks. Take a normal shorts sewing pattern and add some mesh liner to make this DIY swimsuit. He'll be ready to hit the surf in no time with this easy sewing project.
- How to Make a SwimsuitThese days it can be hard to find a cute one piece even if you are looking for a suit for a little girl. One-pieces are great for kids as they help avoid painful and dangerous sunburn by covering sensitive bellies and backs. This adorable girls' swimsuit is a one-piece and easy to make.
- Pennies SwimsuitIf your child needs a new swimsuit, try these free sewing patterns for kids! The pennies swimsuit is the easiest, thriftiest way to make a homemade swimsuit for the little ones to wear to the pool.
How to Make a Swimsuit Cover
If you love the beach but tend to burn easily, swimsuit covers are your best friend while you are lounging in the sand. Learn how to make a swimsuit cover with these cute patterns and you will be all set for summer.
- Easy Beach CoverupSew this comfy knit Easy Beach Coverup for your next trip to the beach! This easy sewing pattern uses light, cool fabric that won't make you overheat between dips in the ocean. If you're ready for summer sand, sun, and waves, make this DIY swimsuit cover up your next project.
- Beach Bum Cover-UpThis Beach Bum Cover-Up is based on a beachwear collection from Victoria's Secret. Created from several pieces of old clothes, it will be extra soft and comfy for your beach lounging days. This is the perfect piece to prepare for a spring break vacation, as well.
- Beach Towel DressSay hello to sunshine! The Beach Towel Dress is a fantastic easy sewing project for welcoming warmer weather. Most swimsuit cover-ups for women are somewhat impractical - if they are made of thin material, then they are rendered useless when your swimsuit is wet. Instead, wear a dress made from a beach towel!
- How to Make a Bathing Suit CoverupLearn how to make a bathing suit coverup that offers a bit more coverage without sacrificing style! This swimsuit cover up can be made in any size so you can make one for yourself and one for your daughter.
- Frumpy Dress to Swimsuit CoverupFrumpy Dress to Swimsuit Coverup is a simple project with chic results. Turn a dowdy dress from a secondhand store into an adorable sundress or cover-up! Wardrobe refashioning is an excellent way to be unique and economical.
- Snazzy DIY Beach Cover UpYou will be so excited to put on this Snazzy DIY Beach Cover Up that you may not even wait to get to the beach! Fortunately, there is always a pool around town where you can show off your DIY swimsuit cover up. Learn how to sew a kimono-inspired cover up with this great tutorial.
- Poolside DIY Swimsuit Cover UpThere is nothing more relaxing than spending an entire day lounging beside a body of water. With this Poolside DIY Swimsuit Cover Up, you will feel extra trendy while doing so. If it’s the early morning and there’s a cool breeze in the air, this cover up is the perfect way to stay warm.
- Victoria's Secret Inspired Backless Swim CoverKeep your body tan free while still looking gorgeous by wearing a Victoria's Secret Inspired Backless Swim Cover on your next trip to the beach. For a much smaller cost, you can make your own clothes that are also great wearable summer crafts for all ages. Forget spending $50 on your next trip to the store; just grab your favorite fabric and challenge yourself to design and make your own clothes that look like they're straight off the runway.
- Boat Club Dress PatternDesign a gorgeous lightweight summer dress that doubles as a swimsuit coverup for those warm days spent at the beach with this free sewing pattern. This Boat Club Dress Pattern is the ultimate way to go from the beach to dinner, and comes with a free printable pattern for sizes small to large.
Other DIY Clothing Ideas for Summer
Not a beach bum or in need of some cool, summer clothing ideas? Well, you're in luck. These adorable and fun summer sewing tutorials will help you start to give your wardrobe a total revamp for the sunshine. You'll be sipping sweet tea on your back porch or spending the day sleeveless out on the town in no time.
- Tropical Blast SandalsGet someone started off on the right foot by making sure you're wearing some new Tropical Blast Sandals. Make sandals with a real splash created by fabric flowers that you can make yourself. You can make flip flops go from boring to beach-ready with this quick and helpful tutorial that shows you how to really upgrade your summer crafts.
- How to Sew ShortsIf you have a pair of pants that are too short, stained on one leg, just plain ruined, or in need of a serious make-over, this How to Sew Shorts tutorial is for you. Showing you exactly how to make some lovely scalloped shorts out of a pair of old pants, these shorts are perfect for summer.
- Summer Loving T-Shirt ReconstructionThis adorable no-sew project is the perfect tank top to create out of an old racer-back tank. You could use this method on a t-shirt or other tank, as well. The gorgeous open back will keep you breezy cool in the summer months. This Summer Loving T-Shirt Reconstruction the perfect tank to wear at the beach.
- Sling Back Flip Flop TutorialLooking for the perfect DIY accessory for spring and summer? Add some serious comfort to your feet this spring with this Sling Back Flip Flop Tutorial. This fun refashioning project shows you how to transform dollar store flip flops into designer inspired sandals that look expensive while only costing a few dollars to make.
- 5 Minute DIY Hair TiesForget about wasting money on cheap hair ties from the store and create some fun custom DIY accessories of your own with these 5 Minute DIY Hair Ties. Hair ties are one of the most essential accessories that every woman needs and cheap dollar store hair ties break easily and can damage your hair. These easy DIY hair accessories take only a few minutes and a few dollars to make.
- Canvas Beach DIY Tote PatternLearn how to make a beach bag that is as simple as it is trendy with this free bag pattern. Using about 2 yards of canvas fabric, 4 grommets, and 2 yards of rope for the adorable handles, this Canvas Beach DIY Tote Pattern is the perfect bag to bring to the beach.
- Easy Towel Beach Tote Bag TutorialEven a beginner can turn an old object into a new project with the Easy Towel Beach Tote Bag Tutorial. You will choose an old towel to refashion into a DIY tote bag for the pool, beach, or everyday life. It is perfect for the beach season because if it gets wet from toys or swimsuits, you know it can be dried easily.
- DIY Cut Off Jean ShortsMake your own DIY Cut Off Jean Shorts with this great tutorial. This is a great way to repurpose a ratty pair of jeans into denim DIY shorts. You can learn to make jean shorts of any length from your favorite pair of old jeans. Don't spend your money on a new pair when your old pair can become something completely new to your wardrobe.
If you love these swimsuits and DIY clothing ideas, you will love 28 Free Summer Shirt Patterns.
What do you always bring to the beach? Let us know in the comments below!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Project
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Adding Bling with Fabric Stencils, Sew-On Jewels, and Sequins
- DIY Lanvin Ruched Beach Skirt
- Summer Raglan Tee Pattern
- Fabric Scrap DIY Clutch
- Simple Half Square Triangle Quilt Block Tutorial
- Baby Travel Quilt Tutorial
- Christening Gown Sewing Pattern
- Simple Gathered Skirt Tutorial for Girls
- Anne Dress Pattern
- The Two Piece Top Pattern