29 Long Dresses for Summer, Women's Maxi Dresses, and Long Skirt Patterns
Get your summer wardrobe ready with these free dress and skirt patterns that are perfect for warmer weather.
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
It's no secret that maxi dresses have been one of this summer's most popular trends. What's not to love? They're slimming and comfortable, they flatter every body type, and they're easy to dress up or keep casual. Oh, and one more thing to love about these long dresses for summer—you can actually make them yourself!
Sure, you can find these maxi dresses all over the stores, but at a much higher price. As sewists, we're always looking for the DIY option. In this collection, you'll find some of the best 29 Long Dresses for Summer, Women's Maxi Dresses, and Long Skirt Patterns. Women's maxi dresses are all the rage, and even when summer comes to a close, these pieces can easily carry over into fall with the addition of a cute jacket and boots.
If you're new to creating one of these long dresses, learn how to make a maxi dress or how to make a maxi skirt with any of these DIY maxi dress tutorials. If you're planning a vacation, make resort maxi dresses like the Strapless Maxi Dress or the Ruffled Maxi Dress. Or, for an easy DIY maxi dress with a vintage feel, try creating the Vintage Sheet to Maxi Dress project.
If you're interested in sewing long skirts, we've also provided helpful projects like The Jersey Skirt or The Under Skirt. When it comes to dressing for the season, there's nothing more comfortable and cute than long dresses for summer. Let this collection of long, flowing skirts and women's maxi dresses inspire you to create special pieces that can live in your wardrobe for years to come!
Table of Contents
Looking for more dress patterns? Then don't miss our huge list of free dress patterns and tutorials! 75+ Free Dress Patterns for Sewing
Patterns for Maxi Dresses
One of the best options for a good summer wardrobe are dresses that are lightweight, comfy, and, most importantly, not too form-fitting. That's why maxi dresses are so perfect for warmer weather! Their loose and flowing silhouettes keep you cool while still looking elegant, and they tend to be easier to make than more complicated sundresses. If you're new to sewing and can't wait to make your first DIY dress, then this list of free maxi dress patterns and tutorials is exactly what you need. These DIY maxi dresses are ideal for beginner sewists and are a fantastic way to get the designer look for less.
- 1 Hour Maxi Dress TutorialDesign a gorgeous maxi dress that doubles as a skirt in just one hour. Made for less than $10, this quick and easy tutorial shows you how to create a flowy and comfortable dress that can double as a full length skirt.
- Strapless Ruffled Maxi DressA DIY strapless maxi dress fit for the stars. Style this idea with some lovely jewelry and strappy sandals to create a summery outfit.
- Strapless Maxi DressResort maxi dresses like this one are perfect for summer parties. Dress it up with fun accessories or dress it down for a casual look.
- The SoHo Maxi Dress TutorialAn easy DIY maxi dress with funky flair, this free pattern delivers an outfit perfect for summertime parties and outings.
- Vintage Sheet to Maxi DressLearn how to make a maxi dress that looks straight ouf of the 60s or 70s by using your favorite vintage fabric.
- Simple Maxi DressMaxi dresses as simple as this one are a summer staple for your wardrobe. It's the perfect maxi dress pattern for outdoor summer parties, a walk in the park, or a day spent out and about.
- Effortless Caftan DressLearn how to make a maxi dress that's as easy as it is gorgeous with this lovely maxi dress pattern. Perfect for summer, this breezy dress transitions well from day to night.
- Draped Maxi DressIf you’re seeking long dresses for summer parties, learn how to make a maxi dress like this one. Maxi dresses this cute are reserved for goddesses like you.
- Designer Inspired Caftan PatternOne of our most popular tutorials on how to make a maxi dress, these instructions will have you dazzling in a DIY maxi dress in no time at all. Inspired by classic 1970s dress shapes, this caftan sewing pattern is romantic and flowy and looks amazing on all figures.
- Peasant DIY Maxi DressChannel your inner bohemian goddess for a simple and stunning dress that makes a charming choice for spring and summer. This dress is the ultimate combination of style and ease, and it's the perfect opportunity to show off your favorite spring prints.
- Super Easy Summer DressThere’s no reason not to learn how to make a maxi dress when it’s this simple. Whip this DIY maxi dress up in no time and wear it out at night for some summer lovin’.
- Kid's Maxi DressWhy should grown-ups have all the glam? Make your girls some long dresses for summer that they can play in and wear to social events, campfires, church, or wherever their adventures take them.
- Side Slit DIY Maxi DressThis dress is comfortable yet very pretty with a side slit and colorful printed fabric. It'll flow with every step, so you'll feel like a goddess!
- Pretty Girl's DIY Maxi DressWith a little wildly patterned fabric, your little girl will be free to run around during the summer in this adorable dress. You won’t want to stop taking pictures of your favorite little girl once she has her new handmade dress on.
- It's a Cinch Maxi TutorialCreate a jaw-dropping maxi dress that's perfect for your next spring or summer event. Made with just two yards of fabric, this easy maxi dress tutorial looks glamorous but is simple to make, and it's sure to be your go-to dress for your next wedding or graduation.
Other Long Dress Patterns
If you like dresses with a little more structure or that hit below the knee, then you'll love these long dress patterns and tutorials. Unlike maxi dresses, which are flowy and designed for comfort, these easy sundresses have a more feminine shape, with fitted waists that will show off your curves. These free dress patterns are ideal for dressier occasions and are guaranteed to show off your beautiful legs. Plus, their fitted structure adds an air of ladylike elegance to your ensemble, which is perfect for vintage clothing lovers.
- Boho Scarf Maxi DressForget going to the fabric store. Raid your closet or thrift store for lightweight scarves to make this bohemian dress!
- Coral DressThis free long dress pattern creates one outfit that looks like two! It's super-stylish and flattering for all body types.
- Knit Peasant Dress TutorialLearn to sew a super-comfy dress like this one. You're going to feel incredibly pretty when you wear this free dress pattern.
- The Cabo Dress T-Shirt RefashionThis dress is perfect for the beach or a tropical restaurant. It looks great all on its own, but if you are in need of a DIY bathing suit cover-up, this idea is the perfect solution.
- Convertible Dress/SkirtConvert this piece to fit your needs—it works as both a simple skirt and a free long dress pattern!
- A Gathered DressRetro long dresses for summer are so in right now. Make a DIY dress that you can dress up or down.
- Colorblock T-Shirt DressKeep it casual this season by making a long dress for summer that isn't too formal. This one will have you feeling cool, comfy, and cute.
Maxi Skirt Patterns and Other Long Skirts
If you love separates and being able to mix and match your wardrobe, then this collection of DIY long skirts is just what you need. Made with comfort and practicality in mind, these free skirt patterns can easily go from casual to dressy, depending on what you pair them with. They range from tea-length to floor-length maxi skirts, so there's a ton of options for your wardrobe. These DIY skirts are also extremely easy and very beginner-friendly to sew, and their light and loose structures are great for warm weather.
- 2 Yard Pleated Skirt TutorialIf you've been searching for the perfect lightweight skirt for spring or summer, then you'll fall in love with this one. Made using two yards of gingham fabric, this DIY skirt tutorial has a classic 1950s silhouette and can easily be dressed up or dressed down.
- The Domesticated SkirtSew a long skirt that doubles as a reversible apron! When one half gets messy, flip it around and tie it again for a fresh look.
- DIY Maxi SkirtSewing a long skirt like this one can pay off in style and comfort. Whether you're looking for a lazy day skirt or you just need to make your own clothes before summer arrives, this DIY maxi skirt pattern will do the trick.
- The Jersey SkirtYou sew long skirts so you can look cute all year, right? So try this all-season project!
- The Under SkirtA free skirt pattern that's totally practical for your wardrobe. It's designed to be worn under another skirt for more coverage, but it works perfectly well on its own, too.
- Anthropologie Ruffled Skirt TutorialDress this one up for work or date night. Sewing long skirts has never been this fun!
- Long Patterned Peasant SkirtSewing long skirts is the perfect summer project because it lets you practice your skills and creates something beautiful. Take a look at this DIY skirt and try not to fall in love with this summer sewing pattern.
- DIY Denim SkirtIf it’s a casual sewn skirt you’re after, this is your ticket. Sewing long skirts for summer doesn’t have to be on account of formal occasions; cover up and look chic at the same time.
- Fat Quarter Long Wrap SkirtIf you enjoy sewing with fat-quarters and want to know the ins and outs of sewing long skirts, this is your project! Give yourself a fun, bright look for warm weather.
- 6 Step SkirtTake an hour out of your weekend to make a long skirt like this one. It only takes six steps to make a skirt for summer that looks fashionable and fun!
- Maxi to Peasant Skirt RefashionEveryone has that one dress hanging in the back of their closet that never gets worn. Transform an unflattering maxi dress into a stylish and lightweight peasant skirt with this refashioning project.
For even more dress patterns you'll love, check out our free eBook, 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses free eBook
What do you love about maxi dresses? Will you be wearing any of these trends this summer or fall?
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- 21 Diaper Bag Patterns (+ DIY Changing Pad Ideas)
- Marcia Baraldi
- Sundress for Women
- Men's Shirt Refashion into Overall Dress
- Lego Block Pillows (Free PDF Pattern!)
- Quick and Easy Striped Quilt
- Tips for Sewing Soft Toys for Kids and Relatives
- Yoga Shorts Pattern For Women
- Blueberry Pincushion
- How To Make An Adjustable Strap For Any Bag
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Project
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners