We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
"Sew a fully lined Mermaid Tail blanket from fleece or Minky! Blog post includes written instructions, step-by-step video tutorial, and free PDF pattern download for the fin."
Project TypeMake a Project
Time to CompleteIn an evening
- 1 1/3 yd outer fabric (fleece or minky)
- 1 ½ yd lining & tail fabric (fleece or minky)
- Wrapping paper for pattern drafting
- Sewing machine
- Washi tape (helpful seam guide)
- Straight pins
- Free PDF pattern download
Start by laying out a piece of wrapping paper or taped newspapers that are the same dimensions as your outer tail fabric would be if folded in half (this should be about 24 by 60 inches.)
Then fold the paper in half lengthwise so it’s about 12 x 60 inches long. (Drawing our pattern on only one half will allow us to cut it out symmetrically.)
I’ve included a printable pattern for the fin (click link above supply list). Print and cut out, taping together as shown. Then trace or tape this piece at the bottom of your wrapping paper, so you know how much fabric you have left to create the tail.
Make the bottom of the tail the same width as the top of the fin. Draw a diagonal line from the bottom of the tail to the outer edge of the paper, then curve inward at top. Unfolded, my tail piece is 20 inches across at top and 45 inches long.
Fold your outer tail fabric in half, right sides together (for my blanket, this is the green fabric). Pin the tail piece through both layers and cut out, creating two tail pieces. Do not cut a fin out of this material.
Remove the pattern, then re-pin the two fabrics, right sides together.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
- 26+ Easy Projects for Kids to Sew
- Free Pillowcase Dress Tutorial
- T-Shirt Dress Sewing Pattern
- Kid's DIY Tank Top
- 50+ Free Clothing Sewing Patterns for Girls
- American Girl DIY Doll Blanket
- Sewing Cards For Kids
- How to Sew a Kid's Art Bag
- Little Lady Braided Dress Pattern
- How to Make a Bedside Organizer
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Sewing Cards For Kids
- How To Make Simple Chair Cushions
- Tips For Learning To Read A Sewing Pattern
- Diy Face Mask Without Elastic
- 3d Face Mask Pattern+video Instructions
- Sew A Simple Pillowcase In 15 Minutes Flat
- How To Add Snaps To Your Sewing Projects
- Make Quick Gift Bags
- Diy Travel Neck Pillow
- Stuffed Animal Face Mask
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Project
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners