We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
Everywhere you look these days, there’s a little splash of gold. If you want to add some gilded glamour to your Thanksgiving table, learn how to make placemats with these Gold Leaf Placemat Patterns. These foil-embellished, quilted free placemat patterns make an ideal gift for anyone who enjoys setting a beautiful holiday table. While the designer traced and hand-cut her leaves, you can also use favorite dies, punches or an electronic cutter to create designs. Thanksgiving is all about traditional cooking and a big family meal. That does not mean you have to keep your décor stuffy, however. Add a touch of gold with these stunning placemats and impress all of your dinner guests.
Project Type: Make a Project
Time to complete: In an evening
Sewn by: Machine
Find this project and many more in our new eBook, 7 DIY Christmas Gifts: Handmade Gift Ideas You'll Love. Filled with lots of great DIY gift-giving ideas, this new printable collection will help you tackle your gift list in no time! Download your own free copy today!
- iCraft® Deco Foil™ Hot Melt Adhesive
- iCraft® Deco Foil™ Gold Transfer Sheets
- SpraynBond® Basting Adhesive
- Gold dot fabric (for each placemat): one 11-1/2”x12”; two 2-1/2” x width of fabric (for binding)
- Gold houndstooth fabric (for each placemat): two 1-1/2”x5”; two 1-1/2”x12”
- White fabric (for each placemat): one 5”x10”; one 20”x14” (for backing)
- Batting, 20”x14”
- Coordinating thread
- Tools: sewing machine, iron, straight pins, craft knife and cutting mat, leaf pattern of choice, laminator (optional)
Note: Follow manufacturer’s directions throughout.
- Place one Hot Melt Adhesive Sheet on work surface with textured adhesive side up. Cover adhesive sheet with sheet of Deco Foil; foil should be color side up.
- Cover foil with pressing cloth or parchment paper and iron as directed. Alternately, place layered pieces inside folded parchment paper and insert into laminator with fold at lead edge. (Note: Designer used laminator and ran pieces through machine multiple times to create more distressed effect.) Let cool completely; peel away foil sheet.
- Cut out leaf pattern. Trace twice onto paper side of foil-covered adhesive sheet, positioning leaves in attractive arrangement so that negative image may be used on second placemat.
- Using craft knife with new blade, very carefully cut around leaves on traced lines. Keep cuts as neat as possible.
- Set aside foil leaves and negative.
- Gather fabric pieces for placemat.
- Using 1/4” seams, sew short houndstooth strips to short ends of 5”x10” white panel. Press seams toward patterned strips.
- Sew long houndstooth strips to long panel ends. Press seams toward patterned strips.
- Sew dot fabric panel to houndstooth/white panel. Press seam toward patterned strips.
- Using SpraynBond Basting Adhesive, make quilt “sandwich” of backing fabric, wrong side up, batting and placemat top. Machine-quilt layers together as desired.
- To create binding strip for placemat, join ends of gold dot strips together at 90° angle with right sides together. Sew diagonal seam from corner to corner where strips intersect.
- Trim excess fabric 1/4" from stitch line and press seams open to create one long, continuous strip. Fold binding strip in half lengthwise, wrong sides together, and press.
- Bind placemat edges using favorite binding method. Many tutorials are available online, including video tutorials; search “how to bind a quilt.”
- Position foil leaves on white panel. Cover foil with pressing cloth or parchment paper and iron as directed.
- Trim foil negative to fit white panel on a second placemat. Repeat Step 14 to apply foil to fabric.
We're giving away a Spectacular Christmas Giveaway to help celebrate the launch of our new eBook, 7 DIY Christmas Gifts. With more than $500 in prizes, this is any craft lover's dream come true! But you better hurry! This giveaway ends November 22nd! Enter today!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Mom's Thanksgiving Apron
Scraptacular Turkey Time Apron
Thanksgiving Turkey Pot Holder Pattern
Harvest Table Runner
Give Thanks: 10 Sewing Ideas for Thanksgiving Free eBook
Modern Thanksgiving Table Topper
Burlap Table Runner
Handprint Turkey Softie
Roast Turkey Costume
Vintage Embroidered Thanksgiving Bread Cloth
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Bridal Lace Blouse Top
- Ballet Chic: 10 How to Make a Tutu Tutorials
- Pretty and Plush: 25 Decorative Pillow Patterns
- Erin Hoffman
- 4 Favorite Free Fabric Flower Patterns
- June Tailor Mug Mats
- DIY Removable Lined Pouch
- DIY Drawstring Gift Bag with Divider
- Fat Quarter Patchwork Beginner Quilt
- Scrapbusting Patchwork Wall Decor Tutorial
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Project
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners