How to Sew a Flag + 10 American Flag Patterns & Tutorials
Learn how to make your own US flag with our guide. Plus, check out the free flag patterns for clothing and decor.
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
If you’re patriotic or team-spirited, you probably have flags somewhere in your house, but did you know that you can easily make your own flag?
Flag sewing may not be the first thing you think about when entering your craft room but it's true.
In just six simple steps, you can learn how to sew a flag that you can display proudly inside or outside your house or wave all around.
Your kids can even follow this flag tutorial if your handle the sewing machine or they can use glue to bind their flag.
Plus, want more patriotic sewing patterns? There’s a list of American flag patterns and tutorials to show your love of the USA, especially for when the Fourth of July comes along each year.
Learn how to sew stars on the American flag, make the perfect white and red stripes, and more with these creative designs.
Feel free to change the colors and designs up for your home country if you’re outside the United States or if you want to make something for your favorite city or sports team.
Sign Up For More Free Patterns >>>
How to Sew a Flag
- Nylon or cotton fabric
- Fabric scraps in different colors
- Rod or pole for flag handle
- Sewing machine (or glue if you are making a no-sew flag)
- Decorating supplies: embroidery needle and thread, fabric markers, sequins, etc.
Flag Sewing Tutorial:
- Get a piece of nylon or cotton fabric that is the color that you want your flag to be. If you want to sew a large flag, your fabric measurements should be 1 2/3 yards by 1 yard. For a smaller flag, you can use a pillowcase or similar sized piece of fabric.
- Gather other pieces of fabric for the details on your flag. These pieces can be any type of fabric, so feel free to use up some scraps.
- Pick a flag handle like a tree branch, broom pole, a wooden rod you can find at most craft stores depending on the size of your flag.
- In order to attach your flag to the handle, you have to make a pocket for the handle to slide into.
- Spread your flag out on a table and put the handle along the short side of your flag on the right side.
- Fold that edge loosely over the handle and pin the fabric in place.
- Then, remove the handle so you can use a sewing machine to secure the pocket in place.
- Sew the top of the pocket so that the handle doesn’t slide through the top, which will let the flag sit on top of the handle.
- Next, you’ll decorate your flag! Get out your decorating supplies, whether you want to embroider a pattern, draw on it with fabric markers, or sew strips or shapes from colored fabric scraps. Have fun with it or model your DIY flag after your favorite country or team’s flag.
- Lastly, you’ll put your flag pieces together. When you’re done decorating, slide the flag handle into the pocket that you sewed in Step 4.
Download this free eBook if you love Independence Day: "6 Free Holiday Ideas: Celebrate a DIY 4th of July" eBook
American Flag Patterns and Tutorials
- Flag Quilted Mug Rug - Bring your patriotism to your table with this DIY flag mug rug.
- How To Make A Flag Rag Quilt - This rag quilt has the classic and rustic look you will love having in your home.
- American Flag Clothes Tutorial - Turn your clothes into a DIY flag to show your USA pride!
- Free Photo Pocket Flag Bunting Tutorial - Create a photo drop for your party with this flag tutorial.
- American Flag Fabric Banner - Shown below! This easy flag tutorial gives you a bunch of little flags.
- America the Beautiful Skirt - Twirl around in your skirt that looks like a DIY flag!
- Quick Burst of Patriotism Pillows - The title of this flag tutorial says it all!
- 4th of July Shirts - Wear your pride across your chest as an American flag.
- Flag Pillow Cover Tutorial - Turn your regular pillow into a DIY flag using scraps.
- Americana Free Pillow Pattern - Shown below! Perfect for the 4th of July celebration. A bit modern and rustic at the same time.
Show your American pride with all the patriotic ideas in our collection of O, Say Can You Sew: 25+ 4th of July Sewing Patterns
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Project of the Day
Give your little one something to tumble around with during playtime with this Fabric Baby Blocks Sewing Pattern. Baby sewing projects… Continue reading: "Fabric Baby Blocks Sewing Pattern"
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Make Pom Pom Pillows
- Mens Pajama Shorts With Pockets
- Krista West from Avlea Folk Embroidery
- 25+ Anna & Elsa Costume DIYs + Frozen Costume Patterns
- Common and Traditional Embroidery Stitches [Infographic]
- Simple Peplum Top
- How To Cut Pants Into Shorts
- Easy Diy Towel Poncho For Kids
- Drawn Thread Hem Stitch Finish Tutorial
- Rose Johnston from Threadbare Creations
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Project
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners