Braided Fleece Ear Warmer
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
"This braided fleece ear warmer is simple to make and a great variation of traditional ear warmers. With this easy to follow tutorial you’ll be able to make several in one sitting."
Project TypeMake a Project
Time to CompleteIn an evening
Sewn byEither Hand or Machine
- 1/4 yard of fleece. I used microfleece, but regular fleece, french terry, cuddle fleece, thermal knit, or any other knit fabric will work.
- Ribbon – any type, this will be used to turn the tubes and will not be in the finished ear warmer Sewing Essentials (scissors, pins, etc.)
Cut 3 long strips of fleece 27" by 3.5" so that the greatest amount of stretch goes with the long edge.
Fold each strip in half, right sides together, so that the long edges meet. To make it easier to turn, place a ribbon, about the same length as the strip, inside the folded fleece.
Sew across the top of the folded tube, catching the end of the ribbon. Pivot at the corner, and sew down along the long edge. Be very careful not to sew over the ribbon at any point.
Take hold of the loose end of the ribbon and pull. This will turn your tube right side out. Cut off about 1/2" at the top to remove the ribbon. You can reuse the ribbon for each of the tubes, and then use it for another project.
Rotate the tube so that the seam is in the center of the back. Repeat with the other two tubes. I gently steamed each tube to flatten it (be careful, fleece will melt with a hot iron!)
Line the tubes up on top of each other with the seam facing down. Pin the ends together. Braid the tubes together, being careful not to pull too tight or twist the tubes. When you get to the end, pin the three tubes together. Try on the ear warmer. The length given will fit a medium – large women’s head. If it is too big, simply trim off a bit at the end and repin
Overlap the two ends and stitch in place. Trim off the excess seam allowance. You can leave the ends as is, or cover it up with a fleece flower (free pattern here).
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
- 30 Minute Pouch Sewing Pattern
- Free Toque Pattern
- DIY Zipper Book Clutch
- Super Soft Spa Slippers
- Easiest Flannel Infinity Scarf Tutorial
- Warm and Cozy Reversible Fleece Cowl Scarf
- Winter Hat with Faux Fur Trimming Free Pattern & Tutorial
- 10 Minute Cozy Scarf
- How to Make a Lanyard
- 5 Minute Kleenex Holder
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- How To Diy A Drawstring Pull - Cover Drawstring Ends The Cute Way!
- Fork Pleats
- Diy Tree Skirt
- Diy Tree Skirt
- Diy Gryffindor Ornament
- Diy Mermaid Ornament
- Diy Felt Gingerbread House
- Christmas Pillow Slipcover
- Fabric Postcards
- Diy Christmas Tree Ornament -2 Free Templates
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Project
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners