This project was submitted by one of our readers, just like you.
How To Sew Face Mask For Hospitals
"These masks are easy to make, and the pattern I will share is great for pros and beginners. Learn how to sew a super simple surgical face mask from fabric with this easy step by step tutorial! The instructions are simple, so keep reading for more.
Note: ability of homemade masks to protect against viruses is unknown. However, in the light of the current face masks shortage, when all compliant supplies have been exhausted, the CDC allows the healthcare providers to use homemade masks as a last resort option. "
Project TypeMake a Project
Time to CompleteUnder an hour
Sewn byEither Hand or Machine
- fabric – 2 pieces 9″x 7″ cotton
- elastic – 1/8″ or 1/4″ flat elastic 2 pieces x 7″ long each
- rotary cutter and cutting mat (or just scissors)
- sewing machine (optional)
- printable instructions with pattern (optional, download for free from hellosewing)
Cut the fabric to size
Pin one piece of elastic to one of the short sides of the fabric, then repeat for the other side
Pin the second fabric on top
Sew around the mask and leave an opening for turning
Turn the mask around
Make three tucks and stitch them in place
Read Next45+ Pin Cushion Patterns