DIY Cross Stitch Travel Map
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
"When my wife Kristie and I were in Virginia last month, we visited one of my favorite thrift stores and I picked up some larger embroidery hoops than I'm used to (8"), thinking I'd find a project for them eventually. And this one works! This project combines two of my favorite tools: cross stitch and iron-on transfers. It's a pretty way to keep track of my travels in the United States, although a map of any country could be used (I have dreams of someday doing a worldwide map, but I'll need a bigger hoop!)."
Project TypeMake a Project
Time to CompleteIn an evening
- An 8" or larger embroidery hoop (I wouldn't recommend going smaller; you might risk losing tiny states like Rhode Island, which even in this project is only one stitch! Sorry RI!)
- Iron-on transfer paper
- Cross stitch fabric (I use 14-count Aida)
- Embroidery thread
- Tapestry needle
Start by finding a map of the country you'd like to use – just a black and white outline of the states or territories.
Flip the image using Photoshop or other image software, and print on the iron-on transfer paper.
Follow the iron-on transfer paper instructions to transfer the image to your cross-stitch fabric.
Start filling in the states you've visited with stitches!
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Mason Jar Dish Towel Pattern
- Stitch On! Embroidered Needle Book
- Punch Needle Embroidered Pillow Tutorial
- 15 Free Embroidery Patterns and How to Embroider Tutorials
- DIY Cross Stitch Travel Map
- How to Create Embroidery Designs Online
- Burlap Embroidery for Kids
- Bloom Embroidery Hoop
- Teacher's Pet Dress Pattern
- How To Make A Sashiko Japanese Embroidery Cushion
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Pattern For A Baby Bib With Square Corners
- Coats & Clark
- Common Sewing Stitches You Need To Know
- Elastic Waist Linen Shorts Free Sewing Pattern
- Easy Diy Harvest Apron
- Diy Reusable Duster Cloths
- Learn Three Visible Mending Techniques
- Visible Mending: Sewing Guide
- MaryRose O'Donnell - Editorial Intern
- DIY Ruffled Burlap Table Runner
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Project
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners