This project was submitted by one of our readers, just like you.
Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners
- see all comments
"I have downloaded the Trevor Pyjama pattern but am unable to just print one size but I cannot turn off the layers of unwangted sizes"
"Well it would have been helpful if it had said that in the first place! Thanks for letting us know."
DIY Cross Stitch Travel Map
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
Click here to view your Sewing Patterns.
"When my wife Kristie and I were in Virginia last month, we visited one of my favorite thrift stores and I picked up some larger embroidery hoops than I'm used to (8"), thinking I'd find a project for them eventually. And this one works! This project combines two of my favorite tools: cross stitch and iron-on transfers. It's a pretty way to keep track of my travels in the United States, although a map of any country could be used (I have dreams of someday doing a worldwide map, but I'll need a bigger hoop!)."
Project TypeMake a Project
Time to CompleteIn an evening
- An 8" or larger embroidery hoop (I wouldn't recommend going smaller; you might risk losing tiny states like Rhode Island, which even in this project is only one stitch! Sorry RI!)
- Iron-on transfer paper
- Cross stitch fabric (I use 14-count Aida)
- Embroidery thread
- Tapestry needle
Start by finding a map of the country you'd like to use – just a black and white outline of the states or territories.
Flip the image using Photoshop or other image software, and print on the iron-on transfer paper.
Follow the iron-on transfer paper instructions to transfer the image to your cross-stitch fabric.
Start filling in the states you've visited with stitches!
Read NextEmbroidered Mason Jar Lid
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Project of the Day
Jewelry Box Sewing Kit
Get ready to hit up your local thrift stores because this organization project is something every sewist needs in her studio.… Continue reading: "Jewelry Box Sewing Kit"
- Embroidered Mason Jar Lid
- Hello Sunshine Embroidery Hoop Art
- Delicate Flowers Embroidery Pattern
- Teacher's Pet Dress Pattern
- Giant Embroidered Sunflower Blanket
- Christmas Snowflake Bauble
- 9 Tools Needed for Embroidery
- What Can Be Embroidered?
- Types of Embroidery
- Embroidered Butterfly Hanging Decoration
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite patterns
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your patterns
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- How to Sew a Simple Coaster
- Sweet Dreams Easy Quilt Pattern
- Refashion a T-Shirt That is Too Small
- May Flowers Spring Wreath DIY
- Easy Shopping Bag
- Dresden Plate Quilt Block
- Chair Cover Sewing Pattern
- Scraptastic Face Wipes
- Easy DIY Heart Pillow (With Reverse Applique)
- Why Do Clothes Shrink in the Dryer?
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Projects
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners