We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
"When my wife Kristie and I were in Virginia last month, we visited one of my favorite thrift stores and I picked up some larger embroidery hoops than I'm used to (8"), thinking I'd find a project for them eventually. And this one works! This project combines two of my favorite tools: cross stitch and iron-on transfers. It's a pretty way to keep track of my travels in the United States, although a map of any country could be used (I have dreams of someday doing a worldwide map, but I'll need a bigger hoop!)."
Project TypeMake a Project
Time to CompleteIn an evening
- An 8" or larger embroidery hoop (I wouldn't recommend going smaller; you might risk losing tiny states like Rhode Island, which even in this project is only one stitch! Sorry RI!)
- Iron-on transfer paper
- Cross stitch fabric (I use 14-count Aida)
- Embroidery thread
- Tapestry needle
Start by finding a map of the country you'd like to use – just a black and white outline of the states or territories.
Flip the image using Photoshop or other image software, and print on the iron-on transfer paper.
Follow the iron-on transfer paper instructions to transfer the image to your cross-stitch fabric.
Start filling in the states you've visited with stitches!
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Project of the Day
Looking for a DIY home decor piece to absolutely pop in your kitchen or living room? This gorgeous Springtime DIY Upholstery Chair is… Continue reading: "Springtime DIY Upholstery Chair"
- Embroidered Mason Jar Lid
- Rainbow and Clouds Embroidery Design
- Make Cross Stitch Patterns in Photoshop
- DIY Cross Stitch Travel Map
- Free Flamingo Cross Stitch Pattern
- Mason Jar Dish Towel Pattern
- Colourful Cross Stitch Draught Excluder
- Embroidery Hoop Art
- 15 Free Embroidery Patterns and How to Embroider Tutorials
- Christmas Snowflake Bauble
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Fabric Editions Halloween Harvest Fabric Collection
- Best of National Sewing Month 2019
- The Easiest Tutu Skirt You Can Make Now!
- Easy Cat Shaped Neck Pillow with Free Pattern
- Mini Orange Peel Quilt
- Corduroy Fanny Bag
- Bell Sleeve Dress
- Sewing Machine Maintenance: How to Thread a Sewing Machine
- 67 DIY Halloween Costumes and Halloween Sewing Projects
- Pumpkin Mug Rug Sewing Tutorial
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Project
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners