We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
"When my wife Kristie and I were in Virginia last month, we visited one of my favorite thrift stores and I picked up some larger embroidery hoops than I'm used to (8"), thinking I'd find a project for them eventually. And this one works! This project combines two of my favorite tools: cross stitch and iron-on transfers. It's a pretty way to keep track of my travels in the United States, although a map of any country could be used (I have dreams of someday doing a worldwide map, but I'll need a bigger hoop!)."
Project TypeMake a Project
Time to CompleteIn an evening
- An 8" or larger embroidery hoop (I wouldn't recommend going smaller; you might risk losing tiny states like Rhode Island, which even in this project is only one stitch! Sorry RI!)
- Iron-on transfer paper
- Cross stitch fabric (I use 14-count Aida)
- Embroidery thread
- Tapestry needle
Start by finding a map of the country you'd like to use – just a black and white outline of the states or territories.
Flip the image using Photoshop or other image software, and print on the iron-on transfer paper.
Follow the iron-on transfer paper instructions to transfer the image to your cross-stitch fabric.
Start filling in the states you've visited with stitches!
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
- Mason Jar Dish Towel Pattern
- Rainbow and Clouds Embroidery Design
- How to Create Embroidery Designs Online
- Colourful Cross Stitch Draught Excluder
- Free Flamingo Cross Stitch Pattern
- DIY Cross Stitch Travel Map
- Cross Stitch Lavender Bag
- Make Cross Stitch Patterns in Photoshop
- Free Watermelon Embroidery Pattern
- Delicate Flowers Embroidery Pattern
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Sewing Knit Fabric With Just A Sewing Machine
- Pamper Your Senior Dog With A Diy Hooded Towel
- Free Pajama Pants Pattern
- Tie-dye Pillow
- Simple Planner Pouch
- Nesting Fabric Bowls
- Fabric Basket Toy Bin
- Unicorn Mini Backpack
- A-line Peasant Dress
- Easiest Doll Diaper
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Project
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners