How to Sew a Straight Line With a Sewing Machine
This sew straight guide is a must-read! Learn how to sew a straight stitch on your sewing machine.
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
Learn about the basis for all sewing projects with this How to Sew a Straight Line With a Sewing Machine Tutorial. In this video tutorial, Angel Peterson will explain how to straight stitch a seam with your sewing machine.
Outside of the video, Kaylee also explains more about using your machine to perfect a straight stitch on a sewing machine. All you need to follow along is some thread, a piece of scrap fabric, and your trusty sewing machine.
You will also learn how to lock your seam, use the feed dogs correctly, and end a seam in this sewing video. Once you master this necessary stitch, you can start sewing practically anything!
Really, it's the most basic stitch and once it's perfected, you will be much more confident in sewing your next project.
Sign Up For More Free Patterns
Looking for more beginner tutorials? We've compiled a list of the best beginner videos.
Find it here >> 33+ Beginner Sewing Videos and Tutorials
Sewing Machine Straight Stitch Video Tutorial
After learning how to actually thread and use your machine there is one skill every new sewist needs to master: how to sew a straight line. Watch this video to see exactly how to set up your machine and start sewing. Then scroll down for even more tips for sewing straight stitches.
Project Type: Learn a Technique
Time to Complete: Under an hour
Sewn by: Machine
Skill Level: Beginner
What about sewing by hand? We've got you covered there, too.
Check out this page for hand stitching >> How to Sew a Straight Line by Hand
Additional Info How to Sew a Straight Line With a Sewing Machine
Learning how to sew a straight line on a sewing machine can be increasingly difficult when you are not totally in control of your needle. When you hand sew, you can be a slow poke.
Learning how to sew a straight line on your sewing machine is different. Hand sewing means your eye is always on the needle. This is not the case with a machine. In order to learn how to sew a straight line with your machine, you need to learn how to use your seam allowance.
The number one tip for learning how to sew a straight line is to keep your eye on your seam guide.
What is a Seam Guide?
Your seam guide is how you control your seam allowance.
The machine controls the needle and you control the fabric. With this in mind, you must keep your eye on the seam guide of your choosing. Your machine will have indicators for these seam allowances.
Your seam allowance is how far away you want the edge of your fabric to be from your stitch in order to create the right amount of seam allowance.
Most patterns will let you know how much of a seam allowance to use. When you are sewing, keep your fabric right at that line and keep your eye on it.
Think about it like you are driving. You don’t pay attention to just the items directly in front of you, you keep your eyes on everything (i.e. the edge of the road so you do not veer off)!
And just like driving, sewing a straight line will take some time on the road to master.
If you have a brand new machine, learn how to clean it all by yourself!
Take a look >> How to Clean a Sewing Machine: Sewing Machine Maintenance
Tips for Learning How to Sew a Straight Line
- If you are just learning how to sew a straight line, set your machine to go slowly if you can. This way you won’t stop on the pedal and lose control.
- Additionally, if you are brand new, considering expanding your seam allowance. If your pattern isn’t too precise, give yourself extra room.
- Practice! Before embarking on huge projects, get used to sewing with a seam allowance. Try using scraps to sew at different allowances to get some practice.
- Take a deep breath! Sewists without doubt tend to be perfectionists. Plus, if you are really unhappy with a seam, take out your trusty seam ripper. Just don’t do this too many times as it wears on the fabric.
About the Author:
Angel is a stay-at-home mother of two beautiful girls. She's married to one of the most understanding men on the planet, who has given her the most amazing gift: a room of her own to create in. Learn more about Angel and her sewing designs on her designer profile here: Angel Hickman Peterson
Sewing Machine Paper Practice Sheets >>
What other sewing machine tutorials or tips are you looking for?
Let us know in the comments!
Read NextFree Sewing Planner Printable
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Free Kid's Robe Pattern
- Shiny + Bright Ornament #6
- Free Mitten Sewing Pattern
- What is Draping? In Sewing and Fashion
- Teardrop Nostalgic Christmas Ornament
- Felt Nativity Advent Calendar Pattern
- DIY Fabric Tree For Christmas
- Star Christmas Ornament Block
- Sew Fast Autumn Table Runner Pattern
- Yoga Mat Strap
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Project
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners