Sweet and Simple Girls Dress Pattern
Learn how to sew cute little girl dress patterns with this easy-to-follow tutorial.
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
Go back to the basics of DIY clothes and sewing tutorials with this How to Make a Dress Tutorial. Remona from The Stitching Scientist will walk you through how to sew a dress in this step-by-step tutorial. Make a Sweet and Simple Girls Dress Pattern by following along.
The pictures show the steps for a cute little girl's dress, but she also includes how to adjust the measurements to make a dress for yourself. Once you learn how to make a dress with this sewing tutorial, you'll be able to move onto other more complicated free dress patterns.
It's a very simple DIY dress that anyone can make, even beginners, and it doesn't have any complicated steps like adding darts. Not only is this girl's dress pattern cute and easy, but it's cheaper than anything from the store.
Project TypeMake a Project
Time to CompleteIn an evening
- Main Bottom Fabric: Cotton or Knit; for a child: 1/2-1 yrd; for an adult: 1+ yrd.
- Top Bodice Fabric: Knit; for a child: 1/4-1/2 yrd; for an adult: 1/2+ yrd.
- Top Bodice Lining Fabric: Knit; for a child: 1/4- 1/2 yrd; for an adult: 1/2+ yrd.
Now that you've learned this pattern, check out these. Your little girl will love all of them: 50+ Free Clothing Sewing Patterns for Girls
Girl Dress Tutorial
Learn how to make a dress for your little girl by following along with this tutorial. Plus, you can easily adjust the pattern for larger sizes. It's a great basic dress plan for any age.
Top Bodice - Draft and Cut:
Note: the length will be based on how long you want the top of the dress to be.
Fold your fabric in half.
Fold a t-shirt in half and lay about 1" away from the edge of the fabric.
Cut all around your t-shirt following the red line for the front bodice.
Cut all around your t-shirt starting from the blue line for your back bodice.
Repeat with lining fabric.
The picture below shows your 4 pieces for the top: 2 lining and 2 main pieces.
Bottom Skirt - Draft and Cut:
Width - waist x 2 in inches
Length - waist to knee in inches
Note: the length will be based on how long you want the dress to be.
See below for guidance on cutting out the skirt/bottom piece.
Assembling the Bodice:
Lay front bodice together right sides together.
Sew around the arm and then around the neck, leaving about 1" open on all the ends.
Turn inside out and iron.
Repeat for back bodice.
Sew shoulder and sides of back and front bodice together: with right sides together, sew front bodice shoulder and side to back bodice shoulder and side.
Turn inside out and top-stitch around the neckline and arms.
Below is what your bodice should look like at the end.
Attaching Skirt to Bodice:
Sew the sides of the skirt right sides together.
Sew a straight line using the longest stitch on your machine about 1" from the top of your bottom piece.
Pull and gather the skirt to fit the width of the top bodice created in step 2.
Fit bodice into the skirt right sides together with back seam of the skirt facing back of bodice.
Pin and sew bodice to skirt.
Hemming and Ironing:
Hem the bottom of the dress by folding in 1/2" in and sewing all the way around (or iron), then folding again 1" and sew all the way around. Iron the entire dress.
This tutorial was written by Remona from The Stitching Scientist. To learn more about her and her work, be sure to take a look at her designer profile here: Remona from The Stitching Scientist
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Project of the Day
If you are a sewing mom or grandma with little ones around the house, finding a way to tuck your sharp sewing supplies out of the… Continue reading: "Simple and Sweet Sewing Organizer"
23 Free Plus Size Sewing Patterns
The Day Date Dress
Lovely Lace DIY Slip Dress
Fit and Flare Free Dress Pattern
29 Sewing Patterns for Maxi Dresses + Long Skirts
Boat Club Dress Pattern
Dolman Knit Dress Tutorial
Sunny Day DIY Dress
Lacy Little Black Dress Tutorial
Sweet and Simple Girls Dress Pattern
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Quilting Grip Gloves
- Riley Blake Out of this World NASA Fabric
- Free Swim and Rash Guard
- Metallic Dress Made From Strips of Fabric Woven Together
- Summer Sun Hat Made From Strips of Fabric
- DIY Reusable Plastic Baggies
- Reusable Dish Sponge Pattern
- How to Sew a Button
- Shibori Dyed Table Runner and Table Mats
- Magic Pillowcase Instructions (Video Tutorial)
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Project
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners