The Patchwork Pumpkin
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
"Pumpkins are a fall decorating staple. This cute pumpkin is designed to be made from several different fabric scraps (hello scrap buster!) patchwork. It’s a simple pattern with adorable results! One of my favorite things about this piece – if my two year old get his hands on it, it’ll be fine. In the example I used cuddle fabric, but any number of fabrics will work with this free pattern. Cotton, burlap, felt and yes even velvet."
Project TypeMake a Project
Time to CompleteIn an evening
- Fleece Fun’s Patchwork Pumpkin Pattern
1/4 yard fleece, cuddle or minky fabric
- Stick (bark like paper can be found in the floral section of a hobby store) burlap leaves (floral section of hobby store) batting/ beans or other filling
Print up and cut out pattern pieces. In the pattern example I used 4 different fabrics, a minimum of 3 is suggested. Cut 6 of each pattern pieces 1, 2, and 3 from different fabrics. You will make a total. Note that wedge of the pumpkin is not symmetrical – be sure to mark the top with a pin.
Layout each wedge, alternating the fabrics in a pleasing manner. Then using a half in seam allowance sew pieces 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 to form a wedge. Continue until you have made all 6 wedges.
To give the fabric pumpkin that nice ribbed look, we’re going to ruche the sides of each wedge. Sew a basting stitch along each side of the wedge, then gather. Repeat on all wedges. Note: Be sure to leave a pin at the top of each wedge to you know which is the top (piece 1).
Pin and sew the wedges together, using a half inch seam allowance. Be sure to pin the tops ( the end marked with a pin) together. Pin along the side and sew. Continue to build the pumpkin all the way around. When you sew the last wedge to the first wedge, leave a 2 to three inch gap at the top for turning.
Turn pumpkin right side out. Stuff to desired firmness. place stem in the top and hand stitch the gap shut and secure the stem. Add leaves if desired. You’re finished!
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Easy Spool Sawtooth Star Block For Beginners
- Diy Fabric Wallet
- Diy Floor Pouf With Free Sewing Pattern
- Diy Witch Hat Pillow
- Diy Bat Garland
- Diy Halloween Fabric Bucket + Free Pattern
- Diy - Maleficent Staff
- Waterfall Top Free Sewing Pattern
- Classic Man Boxer Shorts Pattern
- Banner From Felted Wool Sweaters
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Project
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners