Vintage Hat and Bag Refashion
Looking for refashion clothing ideas? Learn how to upcycle old handbags and hats easily! Read this guide and then check out your local thrift store for your own version.
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
Refashion DIYs can range from simple to complex. It all depends on what you're looking to refashion.
Because accessories are easy to find and work with, this Vintage Hat and Bag Refashion is super simple! This tutorial has two of the cutest refashion ideas ever: a vintage-style bag and hat.
With this page, you'll see how creating one-of-a-kind accessories is as easy as a trip to the thrift store! If you're on the hunt for bag or straw hat decorating ideas, then you have to see this brilliant and easy idea. It works on most hat types, too.
Simply pair up secondhand fabric or ribbon belts with plain hats and bags and use permanent fabric tape and/or a needle and thread to make your own, personalized accessories.
As a bonus, this refashion idea is fast, easy, and "low-sew," which means that anyone can do it! We love projects like that, don't you?
Designer Sarah Ramberg from Sadie Seasongoods is brilliant at finding vintage thrift store items and transforming them into amazing pieces. Be sure to scroll to the end to find more of her sewing refashion projects.
Sign Up For More Free Patterns >>>
This tutorial was shared as part of our National Sewing Month celebration. Find all of the 2018 NSM projects here: National Sewing Month 2018
Hat and Bag Refashion DIY:
- Head to the thrift store and look for plain hats and bags (straw works wonderfully, but cotton or canvas would also work well), and some fabric or ribbon belts.
- Wrap a belt around your accessory, such as a sun hat, to measure out the length you’ll need with just an inch or so of overlap. Trim off the excess from the buckle end.
- Apply permanent fabric tape to whichever side of the fabric belt is your "wrong" side.
- Staring with the raw edge at the back of your hat, simply wrap the belt around the hat, pressing firmly as you go along. The clean edge should overlap the raw edge just enough to cover it up!
Note: If you would prefer to hand sew the fabric, tack it in place and carefully sew a straight stitch around the top and bottom of the belt onto the hat.
- Go through the same process for a purse or tote bag! I like to add a few discreet stitches with a needle and thread, just as additional security.
- And voilà - instant accessories that are unique to you, for only a few dollars and in under 10 minutes!
PLUS! Sadie Seasongoods Projects on AllFreeSewing:
Since Sarah has so many amazing projects, we wanted to share some of them with you. Find more listed on Sarah's designer profile. Take a look and find another amazing design you'll love and want to make right away:
- Mom's Vintage Vendor Apron - Add some serious style to your next bake sale or garage sale with this easy tutorial for Mom's Vintage Vendor Apron.
- Fall Flannel Table Runner - Give your kitchen table some warm and comfy autumn vibes this fall with this genius Fall Flannel Table Runner. Works through winter, too!
- How to Make Paper Flowers from Sewing Patterns - Shown below! How clever is this idea? Use your vintage sewing patterns to make beautifully delicate paper flowers that can be displayed anywhere in your home.
- DIY Upcycled Braided Bracelets - Another fantastic refashion. These DIY Upcycled Braided Bracelets use old handkerchiefs but the braided bracelet design transforms them into something new.
- Vintage Cross-Stitch DIY Grocery Bag - Go green with a vintage and rustic feel by making this Vintage Cross-Stitch DIY Grocery Bag. It's perfect to hold your farmer's market finds.
- Vintage Doily DIY Wall Art - We cannot get over how creative this Vintage Doily DIY Wall Art is. What a gorgeous way to display old doilies you find in your storage or at thrift stores.
- Rustic French Lavender Sachets - Shown below! Transform old curtains into elegant aromatherapy sachets with this simple sewing tutorial for Rustic French Lavender Sachets.
- Flannel Wrapped Holiday Wreath - Don't throw away your hubby's old flannels! Instead, recycle them into a cute rustic wreath that's perfect for creating your own country Christmas.
- Little Teapot Pincushion Tutorial - Forget about boring pincushions and bring some individuality to your sewing space with this fun Little Teapot Pincushion Tutorial.
- Table Runner DIY Clutch - Create a designer-inspired purse that's chic and elegant without spending a fortune with this Table Runner DIY Clutch.
Go green year-round with these eco-friendly sewing projects! Find reusable, washable, and scrapbusting zero waste crafts: 35+ Zero Waste Sewing Ideas (Reusable Products!)
Read NextDIY Upcycled Sweater Mug Cozy
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
- DIY Upcycled Sweater Mug Cozy
- Vintage Cross-Stitch DIY Grocery Bag
- 9 Old T-Shirt Transformations eBook
- 8 DIY Makeup Remover Pads
- Refashion an Old Scarf
- Super Simple T-shirt Quilt
- Easy 10 Minute Garden Gloves
- Elegant Bell Sleeve Top Refashion
- Retro Relaxation Aromatherapy Pillows
- 40+ Ideas for What to Make with Old Jeans
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- DIY Heart Keychain
- Sam Sunbonnet Key Holder
- Sewing Planners For Sewing Projects
- Basic Clothing Alterations: Learn How to Make Alterations at Home
- $5 DIY Sewing Machine Extension Table
- 7 Easy Valentine's Day Sewing Projects Free eBook
- Natural Organic Dried Cherry Pit Hand Warmers
- How to Shorten Sleeves of a Button Up Shirt
- 8 DIY Reusable Makeup Remover Pads
- 9 Ways to Transform Old T-Shirts Free eBook
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Projects
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners