- see all comments
"I can not download th eproject...link is not working...please check"
"I have downloaded the Trevor Pyjama pattern but am unable to just print one size but I cannot turn off the layers of unwangted sizes"
Cinnamon Stick Christmas Tree Ornaments Tutorial
Create Christmas tree ornaments made with ribbon. Our tutorial shows you how to make one in under 5 minutes!
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
Click here to view your Sewing Patterns.
With only a few materials and five minutes, you can create a fun rustic homemade ornament. This Cinnamon Stick Christmas Tree Ornaments Tutorial shows you how easily you or your children can design your own ornaments using ribbon and cinnamon sticks.
You might even have everything in your home already. It's a great no-sew project for kids to do after school or on winter break. Plus, there are so many ways to customize this craft that your family will want to keep making these DIY cinnamon stick ornaments until you run out of supplies.
The benefit of using cinnamon sticks for these DIY ornaments is that it will provide your home with a slight but pleasant and festive scent throughout the holidays. Who doesn't love the smell of fresh cinnamon?
If you don't have cinnamon sticks, straight sticks from outside will work. If you don't have ribbon, scrap fabric strips or even yarn will work. That's why this stick Christmas tree ornament is so great.
And, because it doesn't require sewing, anyone can make them. They can be as rustic or as elegant as you want to make them. Get creative and see what you come up with.
Sign Up For More Free Patterns
Find more creative ideas for gifting or selling in this collection.
>> 50+ Sewing Crafts That Sell Well
Cinnamon Stick Christmas Tree Ornaments
Skill Level: Beginner
Project Type: Make a Project
Time to Complete: Under an hour
Sewn By: No-Sew
• Ribbon (or scrap fabric strips or yarn)
• 6-inch cinnamon sticks (or 6-inch sticks - straighter the better)
• Twine or yarn
• Fabric scissors
• Craft glue
• Optional: Star buttons
For more easy ornaments, be sure to download our fabulous free eBook.
>> 6 Sew Easy to Make Christmas Ornaments Free eBook
How to Make Cinnamon Stick Christmas Tree Ornaments:
- Gather your materials.
- Find a straight cinnamon stick (or twig) to use as your base.
- Lay down a long length of ribbon and place the cinnamon stick in the center of the ribbon near the top of the stick, leaving about half an inch at the end.
Note: You can cut strips of ribbon (or fabric/yarn) beforehand or cut it after wrapping. Either way, leave at least 2-1/2-inches on either side of the stick after you tie it.
- Tie the ribbon around the stick. Flip the stick over and tie another knot. This will not only secure it in place but help keep the ribbon from pointing too far up or down. Cut the ribbon, leaving at least 2-1/2-inches on either side.
- Repeat Steps 3 and 4 but move the stick a few centimeters from the previous ribbon.
- Repeat Steps 3 and 4 (moving the stick a few centimeters from the previous ribbon) until the stick is full. You will also want to leave a "trunk" at the bottom (about 1/2 inch). Adjust the ribbon pieces as needed.
- Carefully cut the ribbon pieces at an angle from the bottom to the top of the stick, making the ribbon on each side shorter as you go up, resembling the Christmas tree shape. Do this for both sides, keeping the ribbon branches symmetrical.
- Adjust the ribbon pieces again as needed to make your DIY cinnamon stick ornament look the way you want.
- Cut a piece of twine (or ribbon/yarn) and glue it to the back top of the ornament. Let dry.
- Optional: Glue a star button (or angel if you have one) to the top to mimic a real Christmas tree. Let dry.
That's it! Admire your work and hang your ornament!
About the Author:
Krista Childers is the Senior Content Editor for AllFreeSewing. She has a passion for creative writing and trying every craft at least once. Find more of her work here: Krista Childers
10 Festive No-Sew Christmas Ornaments >>
How many Christmas trees do you put up in your home?
Let us know in the comment section!
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Project of the Day
Plastic Bag Dispensers
Stop shoving all those plastic bags into the cupboard or under the sink! These Plastic Bag Dispensers will solve all your storage… Continue reading: "Plastic Bag Dispensers"
- Vintage Christmas Wreath Embroidered Ornaments
- Christmas Unicorn DIY Ornament
- Fabric Star Christmas Tree Ornament
- Rustic DIY Angel Ornaments
- Simple No-Sew Quilted Ornaments
- Fresh Mint Candy Cane Ornament
- 20+ Holly Jolly Christmas Ornaments to Sew
- Christmas Ribbon Ornament Tutorial
- Felt Ribbon Candy Ornaments
- Christmas Tree With Vintage Car Ornaments
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite patterns
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your patterns
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Ruffled Diaper Cover Pattern
- Girl's Vintage Pinafore Pattern
- Free Tiered Dress Pattern For Girls
- How To Add Pockets To A Skirt Or Dress
- Loose Ends
- How to Use a PDF Sewing Pattern
- 27 Free Kids Apron Patterns
- How to Sew a Simple Coaster
- Sweet Dreams Easy Quilt Pattern
- Refashion a T-Shirt That is Too Small
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Projects
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners