Olive Blouse Review
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
Olive Blouse Review
Reviewed by , Editor,
Hi everyone, Becky here from Notes from the Sewing Room.
I was delighted to be asked to review the Olive Blouse by Simple Sew. Both the pattern and fabric were supplied for free in exchange for a blog review in my own words.
I made my new top in this beautiful viscose fabric that was supplied by Bobbins & Buttons.The fabric is really pretty and has a great drape to it. It’s by Dashwood Studio and called Birds of Paradise. It has a deep navy background with vibrant pink and orange birds on it.
The Olive Blouse is available as a printed pattern with a size range from 6 to 20. The top has a relaxed fit that works really well in a viscose fabric. The design of the blouse is a bit different from other blouses I have made due to the gathering at the shoulder seams and on the back yoke.
I think you could wear the blouse into the office or team it with jeans or a casual skirt to wear at home or socially. I made my blouse in a size 10 with no changes and used just under two metres of fabric. The finished sleeves end just above my wrists. It seems a little unusual, but I actually really like this feature now I’ve got used to it.
The blouse is finished with buttons on the front. I chose some light purple buttons I had in my stash as I thought they worked well with the fabric colours. If you don’t like creating buttonholes, you could try to finish the blouse with snaps instead. As blouse projects go, I think this was a fairly speedy project to make. I cut out the pattern pieces one afternoon and sewed up my shirt over a few hours scattered over just a couple of days.
I can’t wait to start wearing my new top out and about, I love the fabric and think it will add a splash of colour to my winter wardrobe. The pattern includes easy to understand instructions. Although, I think it would be beneficial to have made a few garments before trying to make this project as there are a few potentially tricky elements to tackle. For example, creating the buttonholes, gathering seams and adding a button placket. If you are new to sewing and want to try this project you could try to make your top in a cotton lawn or a cotton poplin fabric so the fabric may be more stable to work with, although this would give the shirt a different final look.
Would I recommend this project/fabric?
Yes, I am really pleased with my new top. I’d recommend both the viscose fabric and trying the Olive Blouse pattern; both are wonderful to sew and wear.
Read NextHandi Quilter Stitch 710
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
- Handi Quilter Stitch 710
- Win a Clover Wedge Iron!
- Chance to win The "H" Bag Pattern!
- Chance to Win a BERNINA Sewing Machine & Riley Blake Fat Quarter Bundle!
- Chance to Win a Janome Sewist 780DC
- Win a 30 Spool Thread Rack
- Chance to win a Handmade Tailor's Board!
- Chance to win the Ric Rac Paddywack Jelly Roll!
- Hatch Embroidery Digitizer Software Review
- Win a Sew Organized Project Bag!
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Diy Spider Web Pillow
- Diy Halloween Banner
- How to Make a Bag Out of a Mask
- Tote Bags To Seat Cushions
- Notebook Cover With Receipt Pocket
- How To Make A Toiletry Wrap
- DIY Felt Leaf Placemats
- DIY Cute Ghost Decorations
- Free Pumpkin Placemat Pattern
- How To Make Half Square Triangles
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Project
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners