Quick Tips: How to Dress for Your Body Type
Shop for or sew clothes for your body type! Check out this page on body shapes and what to wear to flatter anyone.
Sew clothes for body type specifications with these patterns.
Learning how to dress for your body type is one of the essential fashion know-hows that many people do not have. It can be hard to find a way to dress for your body type while still incorporating your own style.
What if you don’t like that particular fit or feel uncomfortable having a dress hug you in a certain area? Lucky for you, you are a seamstress.
Unlike many women who are slaves to purchasing what they find in stores, you can not only make your own clothes but take in, mend, transform, and upcycle pieces to make them fit your unique and fresh style.
On this page, Quick Tips: How to Dress for Your Body Type, we will give you quick sewing tips on how to create easy sewing projects that help you dress for your body type.
Sign Up For More Free Patterns >>>
Table of Contents
How to Dress for Your Body Type: Pear Shaped
- Experiment with light tops and contrasting bottoms.
- Try wearing boat neck and square necklines to draw attention to your upper half.
- Camouflage hips with a-line skirts.
- Try wearing pointy shoes and boot cut pants to elongate your legs.
How to Dress for Your Body Type: Wedge Body Type
- Try wearing wide length pants and full skirts.
- Do not wear spaghetti straps or sleeveless shirts and dresses.
- Experiment with high-waisted skirts and dresses.
- Wear skirts and pants that accentuate your lower body by going for brighter colors.
How to Dress for Your Body: Rectangle Body Shape
- Do wear pieces that create the illusion of curves like scoop neck t-shirts and cinched waists.
- Wear layers like coats and belts to add more dimension to your shape.
- Try sporting long-layered sweaters and coats to create a sleek look.
- Experiment with colorful tops and bottoms.
How to Dress for Your Body: Hourglass Shape
- Wear pieces with adjustable waists to draw attention to your curves.
- Experiment with wrap dresses and sheath tops.
- Do not wear pieces that hang too loosely over your body like peasant tops.
- Do wear short jackets and accessorize with belts at the waist.
How to Dress for Your Body: Apple Shape
- Wear dresses and tops that are fitted under your bust and arms.
- Do wear pieces that fit your silhouette and avoid pieces that are bulky around the bosom.
- Avoid wearing skirts above the knee as it can make you appear just a little bit shorter.
- Look for pieces that are longer to add some height to your shape and do not wear coats or fitted blazers that end.
Which Body Shape Am I? >>
What's your favorite thing to wear?
Let us know in the comments!
Read Next50+ Sewing Crafts That Sell Well