- see all comments
"Updated link https//web.archive.org/web/20200203132624/https//d == iystyle.net/projects/fashion/ruffled-zipper-clutch == /"
"https//www.charmed-liebling.com/uploads/1/1/1/6/11 == 162541/pinkpeonybag9589.pdf. It seems like the link is broken."
"Thanks a lot!!"
"Looking for pattern to make pillows from old cheer uniforms?"
Made to Love Vintage Doll Tutorial
If you love classic dolls and have been searching for doll sewing patterns with a vintage feel, look no further!
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
Click here to view your Sewing Patterns.
Learn how to make a doll that looks like the doll you played with as a young girl when you make this adorable DIY doll pattern.
Looking just like an old-school toy, the Made to Love Vintage Doll Tutorial shows you have to make a doll entirely out of fabric that is the perfect homemade Christmas gift for your granddaughter or daughter.
Complete with free doll clothes patterns that fit the doll perfectly, this sweet little easy sewing pattern is one you are going to want to make again and again.
We're also sharing the PDF of this tutorial and pattern at the bottom of this page. As a bonus, you can also download a PDF for DIY doll clothes for your new DIY doll. It's certainly all made to love and we know you will!
From Coats & Clark: "'Made to be Loved' was a leaflet published by Coats & Clark in 1955. We are sharing one of the original dolls, 'Betty Ann' from the leaflet. We are also including an updated version of the original pattern that takes a little less time to complete, but is just as cute!"
Join Sewing It Up For More Free Patterns, Tutorials, & Guides >>
For more projects to make for dolls, don't miss this collection full of projects to sew.
>> 46+ Free Doll Clothes Patterns & Accessories
Made to Love Vintage Doll Tutorial & Sewing Pattern
Skill Level: Intermediate
Project Type: Make a Project
Time to Complete: In an Evening
Sewn By: Machine
• Doll templates
• Coats and Clark Dual Duty XP All Purpose Thread to match fabrics
• Coats and Clark Dual Duty XP Heavy Thread to match muslin
• E & P Coats Embroidery Floss, black, blue, brown, red, and pink
• Red Heart 4-ply yarn for hair, approximately 16 yards
• Muslin, 1/4-yard
• Polyester fiberfill for stuffing
• Water-soluble marking pen
• Hand Embroidery Needles
• Embroidery hoop, 6"
• Crayon, light pink
Make the kids more amazing projects. This collection isn't only for Christmas, either!
>> 60+ Easy Sewing Gift Ideas for Kids (from Santa!)
DIY Vintage Doll Instructions:
All seam allowances are 1/4" unless otherwise noted.
Finished size: 15" tall.
- Trace and cut out body pattern pieces. Print templates here.
- Before cutting the head and body piece trace facial features to a 6" x 12" piece of muslin with a water-soluble marking pen.
- Embroider features using J. & P. Coats Embroidery Floss. See the pattern here for an illustration. Remove any markings with a damp cloth. Allow to dry. Highlight cheeks with a pink crayon.
- Pin pattern pieces to muslin. For the head and body match facial features to the paper pattern. Pin and cut. Transfer pattern markings on the leg as noted.
- Right sides together sew body pieces. Backstitch at the beginning and end of seams. Leave a 2-inch opening on the bottom of the body for turning. Leave an opening at the top of the arm and leg pieces for turning. Trim corners and clip curved edges before turning.
- Stuff body parts with polyester fiber fill. Use small bits of stuffing at a time. Stuff the body pieces until firm. Be sure to get stuffing into all corners.
- Turn in raw edges on the body, arms, and legs. Overcast the edges together with small, close stitches.
- Use Coats and Clark Dual Duty XP Heavy Thread to assemble the doll. Attach arms to the body with small overcast stitches. Align the upper arm with the top shoulder edge. Place the arm with the thumb facing upward. See the pattern here for an illustration.
- Sew legs onto the body with small overcast stitches. With outside leg markings facing outward place legs flush with the hip bottom. See the pattern here for an illustration.
- Add any finishing touches as desired. Make clothes if you wish using the Coats & Clark Made to Love Vintage Doll Clothes pattern PDF found here.
About the Company:
With over 200 years of commitment to quality, selection, and innovation, Coats & Clark is the thread company trusted for generations. Coats & Clark offers a wide variety of threads to meet every quilting and sewing need. Learn more about this company here: Coats & Clark
30+ American Girl Doll Sewing Patterns >>
What was your favorite toy as a child?
Let us know in the comments!
Read NextLacy Dress DIY Doll Clothes
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Oct 20, 2021
i tried downloading the pattern for vintage doll. got a message saying it was not safe to download pattern or instructions. i make one similar to this but wanted to make this one too...thanks anyway. charlotte
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
Kitchen Curtains with Gingham Bows
Make these easy, retro kitchen curtains with gingham bows to hang in your windows, and watch your home instantly transform! This… Continue reading: "Kitchen Curtains with Gingham Bows"
- Lacy Dress DIY Doll Clothes
- DIY Teddy Bear Clothes
- Attaching Small Parts with a Ladder Stitch
- Josephine Free Doll Pattern
- Colorful and Easy Axolotl Plushies
- DIY Plush Corgi
- 10 Elephant Sewing Patterns
- Cutting Small and Complex Shapes from Fabric
- Closing Plush Toys Using a Ladder Stitch
- Wallace the Whale
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite patterns
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your patterns
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Free Cell Phone Bag Pattern
- Why is My Thread Wrapping Around the Bobbin?
- Charleston Beginner Pinwheel Quilt Pattern
- Make A Ruffle Dress From Men's Button Down Shirts
- Free Tie-Hem Shorts Sewing Pattern for Girls
- Easy Girl's Sundress Sewing Pattern
- A Line Dress Pattern For Girls
- Turn Your Old Jeans Into Versatile Denim Belts With Pockets
- 30+ Shirt Dress Patterns Free
- Diy Jane Austen Costume
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Projects
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners