Easy Knit Fabric Poncho
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
"This is a fun and easy guide for making a poncho out of coordinating knit fabrics. To me, ponchos are comfortable and soothing. The tassels on the bottom add some extra fun to this project.
Basic sewing skills are all that is needed. I used a sewing machine and knit fabrics from my stash.
It could also be sewn by hand and/or made from old t-shirts. Get creative with this one and you may be surprised what you come up with."
Project TypeMake a Project
Time to CompleteIn an evening
Sewn byEither Hand or Machine
- Knit fabrics
- Sewing machine or needle and thread
- Scissors or rotary cutter and mat
Cut 2 pieces of knit fabric in squares measuring 18″ x 24″. The 3rd one was cut 12″ x 18″.
After cutting iron all 3 pieces.
Sew the 2 larger pieces together on one of the 18″ ends.
Fold your 18″ x 12″ piece so that it’s 18″ x 6″. Pin one 18″ side to the bottom of one of the larger rectangles (not the ends that were sewed together) with like sides together. Sew together and flip so that you can pin and sew the other 18″ side to the bottom of the other 24″ side.
Since the knit fabric won’t fray, you can just take scissors and cut small holes for the tassels. I spaced mine about 1 & 1/2 inches apart but you can space them however you want.
Cut strips for the tassels from the leftover fabric. Mine were around 6 inches long but, again, this is a personal preference.
Fold tassel strips in half. Push the center through the hole. Take the 2 ends around the bottom of your poncho and push them through the loop and pull to tighten.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Diy Car Trash Can
- Dumpling Pouch
- How To Sew A Tiny Hem With The Rolled Hem Foot
- Easy No-sew Rug
- Free Ice Cream Pint Cozy Sewing Pattern
- Simple Denim Pouch
- 31 Easy Sew Bookmarks
- Make Pom Pom Pillows
- Mens Pajama Shorts With Pockets
- Krista West from Avlea Folk Embroidery
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Project
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners