Magic Pillowcase Directions (Video Tutorial)
Learn how to sew a pillowcase using this simple "magic" style. This super easy DIY pillowcase works up fast and makes a great gift for kids or for charity.
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
This super easy DIY pillowcase is so fun because it's the magical kind! Learn how to sew a pillowcase with our video tutorial and written directions. These magic pillowcase instructions are so easy to follow. It is the perfect fast and easy pillowcase pattern for you to make in under 15 minutes.
This magic pillowcase method is also known as the taco, burrito, or cuffed, just depends on who you talk to. In any case, they are all roughly the same in that they are quick and easy to do.
This means that this is the perfect rolled pillowcase for you to work on to make for a charity drive.
With this sewing video tutorial being so quick and easy to make there is no reason for you to not make and give a little for a great cause as well as for your family and friends. It makes a unique gift for just about anyone!
This how to make a pillowcase with cuff video results in a pattern is also a fantastic choice for charity, like The 1 Million Pillowcase Challenge.
Magic Burrito Pillowcase Video Tutorial:
Click to play the video right below and then scroll down for the written instructions and images.
Find more of our readers' favorite sewing patterns in our BRAND NEW eBook! It's filled with great projects for beginners and even a free quilt pattern. Get it here: Top 5 Favorite Free Sewing Patterns Free eBook
Magic Pillowcase Instructions:
Once you learn how to sew a pillowcase in this way, your life will be forever changed! This DIY pillowcase is one of the easiest methods around. It is sometimes referred to as a rolled pillowcase pattern, magic burrito pillowcase pattern, or even just a magic pillowcase pattern. No matter what you call it, we can all agree that this is one of the fastest and fun DIY pillowcases ever!
Follow along with the video above or read the instructions below to learn how to make your own pillowcase like this.
3/4 of a yard of your main fabric choice
1/4 of a yard for your cuff piece
Trim piece about 5 inches wide
- Start with your fabrics measured and cut. Press your fabrics flat, making sure there are no creases.
- Fold and press the trim fabric in half lengthwise, so that you have one piece that's long but 2-1/2 inches wide, wrong sides together in, correct side out.
- Fold your 1/4-yard cuff lengthwise, and press it in half so that the wrong sides are together.
- Fold your main fabric in half, with the selvage edges together.
- Open up your cuff fabric and place it down on the table right side up.
- Overlap and line up your trim fabric with one side of the cuff fabric, selvage to selvage.
- Take your main body piece, right side down, and lay it on top of your cuff and trim pieces, lining up the edges.
- Take the far end of your main piece and begin rolling it until you get to about the middle of the cuff piece, right above the fold line.
- Take the cuff piece and fold it over, so that the wrong side is shown, the edges are matched up, and the main fabric is "trapped." Pin this into place.
- Set up your sewing machine with a regular straight stitch. Sew along the pinned end using a 1/2-inch seam allowance.
Tip: Remember to do a locking stitch at the beginning and end of your strip.
Note: The first image below shows how the order of fabrics should look.
- Stick your hand in through the open side and pull all the fabric out.
- Fold your pillowcase in half, right sides together, making sure the selvage edges match up as well as the cuff and trim seams. Pin if needed.
- Press your fabric if desired before moving on.
- At the sewing machine, start at the cuff side, give yourself a 1/2-inch seam allowance, and sew down one side and then the other.
- Trim edges with scissors if desired.
Note: If a serger is used, no trimming is necessary.
- Turn your pillowcase out.
BONUS! Sewing Patterns for Pillowcases:
Variety is the spice of life. Now that you have seen the magic pillowcase instructions and learned how to sew a pillowcase like the one above, try some of these easy sewing patterns for pillowcases.
Some of these are for your bed, some for your couch, and some of these designs are left up to you as to where you want to put them!
- Pillowcase with French Seams in Minutes: Shown below! Dressing up your bedroom can be a breeze. Make a Pillowcase with French Seams in Minutes by following this printable pattern.
- Simple Envelope Pillowcase Pattern: Maybe it's time to replace those old pillowcases of yours. Luckily, making pillow covers like this Simple Envelope Pillowcase Pattern is much cheaper and easier than you might expect.
- Penthouse Pillow Sham Sewing Pattern: Shown below! This Penthouse Pillow Sham Sewing Pattern is a project fit for urban royalty. Use this free sewing pattern to bring a touch of sophistication to the piece of furniture you spend the most time with without breaking the bank.
- Tiny Toddler Pillowcases: These Tiny Toddler Pillowcases are perfect for kids that are in-between sizes. Smaller than regular pillows and bigger than pincushions, these inexpensive pillows can be bought for almost no money at any store.
- No-Sew Pillow Cover Video: With just a few basic materials and a few spare minutes of your time, you can create cute and crafty coverings that can be customized to fit your color scheme, or given away as gifts to your friends. With NO sewing!
- Hidden Zipper Free Pillowcase Pattern: Looking for a neat way to finish off your cushion covers? This tutorial provides instructions on how to add a zipper and enclose it for a beautiful end result. This is a more professional alternative to a regular envelope backing on cushions.
- How to Make a Pillowcase of Pinwheels: Shown below! If you are looking for a bright and cheerful way to add some cheery DIY home decor to your springtime or summertime home, look no further than this gorgeous and easy DIY pillowcase.
- The Magic Pillowcase: The Magic Pillowcase will serve all your pillow needs. This simple tutorial will show you how to make pillowcases fast, and easy.
- Love Knockoff Pillowcases: Create a charming and romantic look in your bedroom with Love Knockoff Pillowcases. Make decorative pillowcases with fabric paint, stencils, and ruffles galore.
- Insanely Cute DIY Pillow Covers: Shown below! These Insanely Cute DIY Pillow Cases are indeed the cutest and easiest you'll ever see. If one of the kids needs their bedroom decor spiced up, these DIY pillow cases will do the job.
Looking for more? With this list, you can make these free pillow patterns to complement any theme. Check out our page of 60+ Decorative Pillow Patterns
How many pillows do you sleep on?
Let us know in the comments!
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Easy Sew Paintbrush Roll-up Case
- Mini Snap Pouches
- Sulky Wilderness Wonder Applique Kit
- Scrappy Stars
- Metal Frame Embroidered Bag Pattern
- Reading Glasses Case Using A Flex Frame
- Simple Sew Mug Warmer
- Diy Frankenstein Costume With A Free Pattern
- Diy Marshmello Fortnite Costume
- Diy Halloween Cape With Hood
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Project
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners