We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
Simple, black wardrobe pieces will never go out of style. Dark pieces are just so versatile that it would be impossible to say no to them. While black might seem like too severe of a color, the little black dress has been a staple of women’s wardrobes since the 1940s for a plethora of reasons. Black is slimming. Black makes everything have a more professional or dressier edge. But most of all? Black goes with everything. The timeless style of midnight black is exactly why Sato Watanabe created and collected the pieces in Basic Black.
Boasting “26 Edgy Essentials for the Modern Wardrobe”, this book delivers on that promise. Every single piece in this book has a contemporary edge. Some of the designs will look a little familiar to you as you flip through pages and pages of black wardrobe pieces, but Watanabe adds a bit of her own modern chic to each piece. This chic and on-trend look is supplemented by the slimming, fresh look of black fabric. Designs like the “V-neck Midi Dress” and the “Asymmetric Jumper Dress” will look fantastic on just about anybody. You will not regret creating them for yourself or others.
In addition to providing pretty designs, Basic Black is an excellent collection of tutorials. Each piece comes with detailed instructions as well as a full pattern. The patterns for each project can be found in an envelope attached to the back cover of the book. This makes the book invaluable. If you were to purchase 26 patterns like the projects in this book, you would spend a pretty penny. Finding them all in one book is an absolute steal. Plus, the pieces in this book are simple and classic enough that they will not be going out of style anytime soon. This collection is a must-have for seamstresses who often make their own clothes. Just one of these versatile pieces can be worn in a dozen different ways.
Sewists looking to add some edge to their wardrobe should check out Sato Watanabe’s Basic Black. This book, filled to the brim with 26 fashionable patterns, is a one-stop shop for updating your look. With dresses, blazers, and more, this pattern collection is sure to delight any fashionable female. Check it out today!
We did not receive compensation in exchange for this review. Items received are used for product review and testing. All opinions are those of the editorial staff. Our Disclosure Policy can be found here.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Project of the Day
With the Incredibly Quick DIY Taggie Blanket you'll never be in need of a baby shower gift again. Made from just two pieces of flannel… Continue reading: "Incredibly Quick DIY Taggie Blanket"
- Steampunk Your Wardrobe
- Simply Sewn
- Sew Red: Sewing & Quilting for Women's Heart Health
- Enter to win a quilting book bundle!
- Chance to win a copy of Lunch Hour Embroidery!
- Vintage Notions
- Marge's Custom Slipcovers
- 500 Simply Charming Designs for Embroidery Book Review
- Handmade Leather Bags & Accessories
- 25 Handmade Gift Ideas from Top Designers
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Easy Spool Sawtooth Star Block For Beginners
- Diy Fabric Wallet
- Diy Floor Pouf With Free Sewing Pattern
- Diy Witch Hat Pillow
- Diy Bat Garland
- Diy Halloween Fabric Bucket + Free Pattern
- Diy - Maleficent Staff
- Waterfall Top Free Sewing Pattern
- Classic Man Boxer Shorts Pattern
- Banner From Felted Wool Sweaters
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Project
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners