9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- see all comments
"I have downloaded the Trevor Pyjama pattern but am unable to just print one size but I cannot turn off the layers of unwangted sizes"
"Well it would have been helpful if it had said that in the first place! Thanks for letting us know."
Fabric Storage Bin Tutorial
Make a DIY fabric basket that's so easy to sew up and incredibly handy to have around the house.
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
Click here to view your Sewing Patterns.
Finding storage that's both decorative and functional can be a hassle, especially for items that are awkward shapes, like baby diapers or TV remotes.
Search no longer for fashionable baskets that fit your unique storage needs with this Fabric Storage Bin Tutorial! Use these trendy DIY fabric storage bins for anything from baby supplies to bathroom toiletries.
We love any DIY storage bins but these are even better than most because of how simple they are to make.
You can even mix and match prints to match any room in the house! Lightweight, flexible, and able to be sewn in different shapes and sizes, these bins are a simple solution to any organizing ordeal.
Once you learn how to make fabric boxes, you will be set for keeping everything in the right places.
Sign Up For More Free Patterns >>>
From small fabric boxes to jumbo fabric basket patterns for laundry, there's plenty to choose from in this collection.
>> 29 Patterns for Fabric Boxes and Baskets
DIY Cube Storage Bins Materials List:
- Assorted cotton prints (one for outer fabric, one for lining fabric)
- Sewing machine and thread
- 8'' Fabric shears
- Rotary cutter
- Cutting mat (24'' x 36'')
Skill Level: Easy
Project Type: Make a Project
Time to Complete: Under an hour
Sewn By: Machine
Inspired by this simple sewing storage pattern? Continue your organizational spree with this free downloadable eBook of amazing organizers you'll love.
>> 8 Awesome DIY Organizers: Sewing Organizer Tutorials eBook
How to Sew Fabric Storage Bins:
Follow this fast and easy fabric basket tutorial and you're bound to want to make more later. Change up the colors and you can make something customized for every room.
- With the rotary cutter, ruler, and cutting mat, cut your fabric into the appropriate sizes. For the larger bin, cut two pieces of contrasting print 30" x 15". One print will be the outer fabric and one print will be the lining fabric. For the smaller bin, cut two pieces of fabric measuring 24" x 12".
Tip: Using Fiskars' Rotary Ruler tool makes this cutting so easy because the blade is attached right to the ruler. This feature leads to more accurate cutting, especially when cutting multiple layers.
- Sew the short ends of the outer fabric together with right sides facing each other. Repeat for the lining fabric.
- For the larger bin, cut a 3" square from the two bottom corners of the sewing fabric, using the Amplify Fabric Shears. Repeat for the lining fabric. For the smaller bin, cut a 2-1/2" square from the bottom corner.
- Open up the fabric and sew the holes closed, matching the side seam with the seam along the bottom.
- Turn the lining fabric inside out and turn the outer fabric right sides out. Place the outer fabric inside the lining, so that the right side of the lining is facing the right side of the outer fabric. Pin the two fabrics together around the top edge. Leave a 5" hole in one edge and sew the two fabric pieces together.
- Turn the fabrics to the right side through the hole in the seam.
- Fill out the corners. Pin the hole closed and topstitch around the entire perimeter of the bins to finish.
Now you're set with your floor and desk organization, but there's still more organizational potential on your walls! Read this list and give everything in your house a place to be.
>> 20+ Pocket & Hanging Wall Organizer Patterns
This tutorial originally appeared on the Fiskars site. Learn more about Fiskars and what else this company has shared on AllFreeSewing by visiting the company profile here: Fiskars
Sewing Room Organization: Your Complete Guide >>
Have any storage secrets to share?
Let us know in the comments.
Read NextChic Chevron Letter Organizer
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Jun 28, 2018
Fabric bins come in handy so matter where they are placed. Perfect for holding onto folded face towels in the bathroom, or for corralling sewing notions, even on the nightstand to hold odds and ends. Make one and instantly see how easy they are to put together. Great scrap fabric project.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
Tapered Rectangle Top Tutorial
Looking for a breezy and stylish top for spring? You'll love wearing this simple and flowy top that's perfect for layering with comfy… Continue reading: "Tapered Rectangle Top Tutorial"
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite patterns
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your patterns
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- How to Sew a Simple Coaster
- Sweet Dreams Easy Quilt Pattern
- Refashion a T-Shirt That is Too Small
- May Flowers Spring Wreath DIY
- Easy Shopping Bag
- Dresden Plate Quilt Block
- Chair Cover Sewing Pattern
- Scraptastic Face Wipes
- Easy DIY Heart Pillow (With Reverse Applique)
- Why Do Clothes Shrink in the Dryer?
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Projects
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners