8 Awesome DIY Organizers: Sewing Organizer Tutorials
- see all comments
"I can not download th eproject...link is not working...please check"
"I have downloaded the Trevor Pyjama pattern but am unable to just print one size but I cannot turn off the layers of unwangted sizes"
Tips for Sewing with Knits
Check out our sewing with knits tips and you'll become an expert in no time.
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
Click here to view your Sewing Patterns.
If you don’t want to knit or don’t know how to, you can still make something out of knit fabric. If you don’t know a lot about knits, you should read this article, Tips for Sewing with Knits, before you start sewing with it.
With these sewing tips, you’ll make sure that your next sewing project is completed without a hitch. Let's face it: you're not a knitter, you're a sewist!
You don't know a ton about knits, but you can find out more about how to sew with them. Don't be intimidated because we've got the inside scoop.
Sewing hacks don’t necessarily tell how to sew a specific sewing pattern, but they do give you some insights as to what to expect when sewing with a specific fabric or executing a technique.
These tips and tricks with help you navigate a new fabric, but also let you discover your own way of sewing with knits.
Sign Up For More Free Patterns >>>
Find out everything you need to know about fabric and sewing with different types. This page will help you out: Sewing 101: Working with Different Types of Fabrics
How to Sew: Tips and Tricks for Sewing with Knits
Types of Knit Fabric
There are different types of knits you can buy, and here are just a few types:
- Jersey knits - like that used for The Bahia Lounge Pants.
- Double Knits - like that used for the liner in this Lacy Little Black Dress Tutorial.
- French Terry - like that used for the Charming Children's Robe Pattern.
- Sweatshirt knits (sweatshirt fleece) - like that used for the Women's Knit Joggers Pattern.
Best Stitch Types for Knit Fabric
Next, you’ll want to select your stitch on your sewing machine for sewing with knits. These are your most common options:
- Double straight stitch
- Triple zig-zag stitch
- Overlock stitch
Note: regular straight stitches are not recommended for sewing with knits.
What about the best thread for sewing knits? You’ll want to use 100% polyester thread for the best results because cotton thread tends to break on knits. Learn more about thread by reading our page, What Types of Thread to Use: A Sewing Guide.
Our Guide to Mastering Different Stitches Infographic will show you the three main categories of stitches and those within the categories. Take a look below and download your own copy here.
Best Sewing Needles for Knit Fabric
As for needles, you’ll want to use a jersey/ballpoint or stretch needles when sewing with knits because the tips of those needles are round and won’t mess with the fabric.
We have tons of information on sewing needles in our resource, Sewing Needle Types.
Seam Allowances for Knits and Other Tips
The seam allowances for knits are smaller than other fabrics like a woven fabric, so keep that in mind if you are cutting notches into the fabric.
Stay tape will be your best friend when sewing with knits because you don’t want the fabric to stretch while you’re sewing.
You want to make sure that you pre-shrink your knits and make them rest before you cut them as the fabric won’t fit right if you start working on a stretched fabric.
Also, no irons needed. The best thing about sewing with knits is that you don’t have to iron them!
Transform old jeans and become an expert on working with denim fabric by checking out our
BONUS! Sewing Patterns for Knits
Besides the four patterns we shared about, we thought we would include a few more knit sewing patterns to try. Start with easy, small projects and, once you're comfortable, move on to the intermediate and then difficult sewing patterns.
- Simple Summer Tank and Shorts Pajamas
- Easy Plaid Peplum Top
- Bow Back Dress Pattern (pictured below)
- Swing Tunic Sewing Pattern
Have you ever sewn with knit fabric? If so, have any tips to share?
Let us know in the comments below!
Read Next50+ Sewing Crafts That Sell Well
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
Hot Potato Pouch
Baked potatoes are the ultimate comfort food. They fill you up. They go well with yummy additions like cheese and chives. They are… Continue reading: "Hot Potato Pouch"
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite patterns
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your patterns
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- How to Sew a Simple Coaster
- Sweet Dreams Easy Quilt Pattern
- Refashion a T-Shirt That is Too Small
- May Flowers Spring Wreath DIY
- Easy Shopping Bag
- Dresden Plate Quilt Block
- Chair Cover Sewing Pattern
- Scraptastic Face Wipes
- Easy DIY Heart Pillow (With Reverse Applique)
- Why Do Clothes Shrink in the Dryer?
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Projects
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners