A Paper-Pieced Garden: 27 Mix-and-Match Blocks
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
A Paper-Pieced Garden: 27 Mix-and-Match Blocks Plus Unique Quilts
Provided by Martingale
Reviewed by Julia Wiatr
Many available quilting patterns are all based around one singular theme or motif. Each block for the quilt is the same or very similar to the other ones, and there is not much variety. A Paper-Pieced Garden: 27 Mix-and-Match Blocks Plus Unique Quilts, by Maaike Bakker and Francoise Maarse, offers 27 different block patterns for you to mix and match as you see fit. Create a quilt that is completely your own design!
A Paper-Pieced Garden is a block pattern compilation that focuses on the paper piece technique, which is used to create block designs that are impossible with more traditional methods. If you’re new to this technique, Bakker and Maarse provide helpful information and a step-by-step how-to on the process, complete with photos of each step. For those who aren’t just new to paper piecing but to quilting in general, there is a brief overview in the beginning of the book that should help you out. There is information on how to choose your fabrics and what colors to look for for the nature-inspired patterns. There are also some tips for washing fabrics, too.
Moving into the quilting portion of the book, the authors provide information on the basics of constructing a quilt, from joining fabric to finishing up a quilt with binding, complete with photos for each step they describe. Whether you’re a sewing novice or not, you can quickly get the background knowledge you might be missing. The rest of the book is focused on the garden-inspired quilt patterns. If you don’t want to start mix-and-matching, you can choose from one of seven garden quilt tutorials, but if you are, there are 27 paper-piece block patterns for you to work from in the back of the book, so you can mix and match motifs as you go. Each block is clearly divided up and labeled so that, following the paper piece technique, you can quickly construct each one.
This instructive and detailed book has all the information you need to create your own quilted garden. From beginner to experienced quilter, you’ll love the amount of freedom you get with the variety of block patterns provided.
We did not receive compensation in exchange for this review. Items received are used for product review and testing. All opinions are those of the editorial staff. Our Disclosure Policy can be found here.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
- Kitchen Stitches: Sewing Projects to Spice Up Your Home
- Simply Modern Christmas: Fresh Quilting Patterns for the Holidays
- 25 Handmade Gift Ideas from Top Designers
- 99 Ways to Cut, Sew, Trim & Tie Your T-Shirt Into Something Special
- Steampunk Your Wardrobe
- Pattern Fitting with Confidence
- Shape Shape
- Me and My Sewing Machine
- Sew Red: Sewing & Quilting for Women's Heart Health
- Sewing Pretty Little Accessories
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Diy Baby Blanket With Self Binding Border
- Mini Backbag
- Make A Baby Cheater Quilt
- Diy Book Cover In 10 Minutes
- Making Continuous Bias Binding Tape
- Knotted Hair Ties
- Diy Pom Pom Bunny
- Fab Floral Face Mask Tutorial
- Olive Blouse Review
- 6 Free Sewing Practice Sheets
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Project
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners