How to Choose the Best Fabric for Skirts
"What fabric should I use?" is a common question in sewing. This page offers tips for choosing fabric for skirts.
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
If you love twirling, you have to love skirts! When you’re sewing skirts, did you know that the kind of skirt you are sewing requires different types of fabric in order to lay correctly?
Determining the best fabric for skirts depends on a few factors. Some kinds of DIY skirts do not have many limitations when it comes to fabric, but some rely heavily on the type of fabric.
You’ll want to choose carefully with a DIY pencil skirt, for example, because it’s so fitted to your body.
Cotton is usually a good fabric to choose with skirts because it’s easy to sew with and is relatively cheaper than other fabrics. With so many different kinds of fabric, it can be tough to choose the perfect fabric for your next skirt pattern.
We've put together this quick page that has examples of the most common skirt types and which fabric is best to use. Once you learn what the good fabrics for skirts look and feel like, you'll better understand how to choose them in the future.
Depending on what kind of DIY skirt you want to make, you can find the fabric recommendations for DIY circle skirts, DIY pencil skirts, A-Line skirts, bubble skirts, maxi skirts, and mini skirts.
Best Fabric for Circle Skirts
Like most skirts, cotton is a great choice for circle skirts. If you make a full circle skirt like you'd see in the 1950s, satin works really well, even though it's a difficult material to work with if you're just beginning to sew.
The DIY skirt below is an easy cotton circle skirt you'll enjoy making and wearing! Take a look at The Ultimate Circle Skirt Tutorial.
For more circle skirt patterns, check out:
If you have more questions about choosing fabrics, check out: 600+ Fabric-Specific DIY Sewing Projects
Best Fabric for Pencil Skirts
Any kind of fabric that has some stretch is good for this kind of DIY skirt. A cotton blend fabric works well, and then for the lining, you can use a lightweight cotton or silk fabric.
The DIY skirt below is the Unstoppable Pencil Skirt.
For more pencil skirt patterns, check out:
Best Fabric for A-Line Skirts
You need a fabric that moves and drapes well for the A-line skirt. These kinds of fabrics include silk broadcloth, crepe de chine, rayon, cotton knits, or wool jersey. This is the most flattering shape for most women’s body types and figures.
The DIY skirt pictured below is the Fun and Flirty Fall Skirt.
For more A-line skirt patterns, check out:
Best Fabric for Bubble Skirts
The bubble skirt is a skirt that's folded under on the hem to form a bubble-like shape. You can use linen, light tweed, and brushed cotton for this type of DIY skirt. You'll want a fabric that can be easily gathered.
The DIY skirt pictured below is the Bright Bubbles Girls Skirt Pattern.
For more bubble skirt patterns, check out:
Best Fabric for Maxi Skirts
Maxi skirt fabric should be comfortable and lightweight since that's the appeal of this skirt style. These long DIY skirts allow for a lot of versatility when it comes to fabric. For a flowing and elegant look, choose chiffon or taffeta with a lining underneath because these fabrics are usually sheer. A more comfortable and casual DIY maxi skirt can be made out of cotton or jersey fabrics.
The DIY skirt pictured below is the Tiered Maxi Skirt Pattern.
For more maxi skirt patterns, check out:
Best Fabric for Mini Skirts
As the great fashion statement of the 80s and 90s, this DIY skirt requires a small amount of fabric, but you'll want it to be stretchy. Knit is a good fabric to choose for a mini skirt, but denim and cotton will also work well as long as they have some stretch.
The DIY skirt pictured below is the Micro Mini Simple Skirt Pattern.
For more mini skirt patterns, check out:
If you're looking for skirt patterns to make with your knowledge, we've got a bunch: 46+ Free Skirt Patterns
How Much Fabric Do I Need?
What's your favorite style of skirt?
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
- Infinity Scarf
- Easy Lined Zipper Pouch Sewing Tutorial
- How To Make Thread Belt Loops
- Fitted Face Mask Pattern
- Is Making Your Own Clothes Cheaper?
- How To Sew A T-shirt Style Neckband
- To Wash Fabric Before Sewing or Not?
- Know Your Skirts Guide [Infographic]
- How to Choose the Best Fabric for Skirts
- How to Let Out Pants
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Insulated Baby Bottle Cover Free Sewing Pattern
- Easy Summer Tunic Free Pattern
- Balloon Sleeve Puffy Top Sewing Tutorial
- Free Upcycled Baby Shoes Pattern
- Diy Reusable Makeup Remover Pads
- Diy Travel Toothbrush Roll Bag
- Free Popsicle Holder Sewing Pattern
- Beach Towel Bag Sewing Tutorial
- Make A Cat Hammock In 30 Minutes
- To The Nines! ~ A Pretty Block Of The Week Quilt
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Project
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners