How to Sew a Zipper in a Purse
Wondering how to insert zipper in a bag? With this step-by-step tutorial, learn how to sew zipper pouches.
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
Sewing a zipper may seem intimidating for new sewists, but it's surprisingly easy once you know the basic steps. Knowing how to sew a zipper will allow you to make sophisticated home and fashion accessories, and even garments.
It's definitely a skill that's worth learning if you want to improve your sewing skills. Learn how to install a zipper (more specifically, how to sew a zipper in a purse) by making a basic and versatile zippered pouch.
By combining the step-by-step how-to with an easy project will make any beginner (or even experienced) sewist feel more comfortable going forward with sewing projects that involve zippers.
There are a few different ways to sew on a zipper to bags and other sewing projects but this is one of the easiest ways to do it: using a sewing machine and a zipper foot attachment.
Sign Up For More Free Patterns >>>
Zippers and bags go together like peanut butter and jelly! With a nearly endless supply of bag patterns, we thought we'd create a master collection.
Find it here >> Free Bag Sewing Patterns Directory
Zipper Pouch Supplies
- 9-inch zipper
- Two pieces of fabric, 9 x 7 inches
- Zipper foot
- Matching thread
How to Sew a Zipper:
Step 1: Attach Zipper Foot to Machine
The zipper foot is the star of this task. It will allow you to sew close to the zipper teeth for a secure, smooth finish.
The presser foot is adjustable and can be fitted to the left or right of your sewing needle, depending on where the zipper teeth are located. The foot applies even pressure to the teeth as you sew along.
Step 2: Line Up the Zipper
Place the right side of the zipper along the 9-inch right (patterned/pretty) side of one of the pieces of fabric. Match up the edges and clip or pin them into place.
Step 3: Stitch the Zipper to Fabric
Stitch the zipper in place. You may have to unzip the zipper at first to sew down the edge of one side (to get around the zipper head). The needle should be close to the zipper teeth.
Step 4: Continue Sewing Zipper onto Pouch Piece
Once you have sewn about an inch or two, rezip the zipper and continue sewing.
When you are done, flip the fabric piece over with the right side of the fabric facing up.
Step 5: Add Opposite Side of Pouch Fabric
Lay the other piece of fabric on top, right side down, making sure to line up the edge with the unsewn side of the zipper. Pin or clip into place. Sew along the edge of the zipper teeth. You may need to unzip it part of the way in order to sew around the zipper head.
Step 6: Open and Press Zippered Pouch Pieces
Once both sides are sewn onto each side of the zipper, open it up and press.
Step 7: Topstitch Zippered Pouch Pieces
Topstitch along the zipper edge. This will help secure the zipper in place as well as provide a finishing touch.
Step 8: Sew the Zippered Pouch
Unzip the zipper. Pin or clip the fabric pieces together and sew a 1/4-inch seam allowance around the sides and bottom of the pouch. Turn the pouch right side out and press, if needed.
Make pouches, pillowcases, pants, or dresses with zippered opening with ease with this simple technique.
For even more bag tutorials you will love, download your copy of our FREE eBook that's full of bag sewing patterns and how-tos.
Find it here >> Sewing Bags: Tutorials You'll Love & 15 Free Purse Sewing Patterns Free eBook
About the Author
Debbie Wolfe is an author and freelance writer in home, garden, DIY, and lifestyle topics. Debbie has written for leading online media outlets and online retailers, including HGTV, The Home Depot, Walmart, Family Handyman, Realtor, and more. Her book, Do-It-Yourself Garden Projects and Crafts, from Skyhorse Publishing, features a variety of practical DIY projects to beautify your garden and home.
Visit her website!
50+ Purse Sewing Patterns >>
What's the first project with a zipper you plan to make?
Let us know in the comment section!
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
- How to Shorten Button Shirt Sleeves
- 10 Best Sewing YouTube Channels
- What Does a Bobbin Do?
- How to Sew a One Hole Button
- How to Thread a Needle
- Hand Quilted Cotton Gauze Baby Blanket
- How to Use Sewing Patterns
- Sewing Machine Paper Practice Sheets
- How to Sharpen Sewing Scissors
- Hand Sewing Practice Sheets
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Sam Sunbonnet Key Holder
- Sewing Planners For Sewing Projects
- Basic Clothing Alterations: Learn How to Make Alterations at Home
- $5 DIY Sewing Machine Extension Table
- 7 Easy Valentine's Day Sewing Projects Free eBook
- Natural Organic Dried Cherry Pit Hand Warmers
- How to Shorten Sleeves of a Button Up Shirt
- 8 DIY Reusable Makeup Remover Pads
- 9 Ways to Transform Old T-Shirts Free eBook
- Sunbonnet Key Cover
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Projects
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners