22 DIY Clothing Repair Techniques and Projects
Welcome to clothing repair 101! DIY clothing alterations don't have to be intimidating. Find projects for maternity, pants, and more!
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
With this page of 22 DIY Clothing Repair Techniques and Projects, learn how to repair a zipper, make clothing alterations, and do a little refashioning clothes magic to make your problem disappear.
Everyone's experienced it: that terrible moment when you pull on a pair of jeans or an old shirt and the button just won't do what you want it to.
Maybe you're experiencing the first pains of pregnancy, maybe it's just that extra layer of warmth for the winter, or maybe you just have some rowdy kids who seem to tear through their clothes faster than you can buy them.
Whatever the reason, you're left with a garment that has seen better days. But don't give up on your favorite pair of pants or best-loved cardigan; all you need to fix the problem is a little Clothing Repair 101.
Looking for some brand new patterns? Check out our HUGE list of 500+ Tutorials for Making Your Own Clothes.
Learn how to make clothing alterations and improve your sewing skills. After the maternity alterations, jeans and pants repair, zipper fixes, and more you will then see our additional resources. These reference pages will help you better understand DIY clothing repair with detailed techniques and how-tos.
Sign Up For More Free Patterns >>>
Table of Contents
Mother May I: Maternity Alterations
Being a mom might be one of the greatest joys that life can offer, but there's no denying that it really does a number on your wardrobe. From top to bottom, clothes that once fit perfectly start getting tighter and tigher until you can't wear them.
But have no fear! With just a few easy clothes alterations, you can avoid buying a whole new maternity wardrobe. All you need to do is get a little creative. Below, find top, bottom, and one-piece outfits you can transform when you're carrying a baby.
If you like these sewing tutorials, check out 130+ Sewing Questions Answered: Ultimate FAQs Guide
My Lucky Pair: Jeans & Pants Clothing Repair
Finding a pair of jeans that fit just right can be torture. Most of the time it takes a few months to get them stretched and suited the way you want them. So when a pair goes down for the count with a rip or because you've taken on a little winter weight, it can be truly heartbreaking.
Luckily, there are plenty of ways to avoid having to buy all-new jeans. Just follow these tips and tutorials for how to fix holes in jeans and you'll be a master of clothing repair in no time. With so many things to do with old jeans and denim, you never want to toss them!
If you found these tutorials useful, check out our FREE eBook, 9 Ways to Transform Old T-Shirts Free eBook
Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah: How to Repair a Zipper
Broken zippers are the worst. There's nothing more annoying than an otherwise perfect garment with a faulty zipper! Learning how to repair a zipper is surprisingly easy, and will save you tons of heartbreak—not to mention money! These tutorials will teach you everything from how to repair a zipper to how to install a new one.
If your clothing has a zipper issue, you'll find a tutorial or helpful guide but there are also other techniques involving zippers for any time in the sewing processes you come across. Don't avoid zippers when you can repair them after reading these pages.
Other Clothing Alterations
Nothing is worse than buying or making a beautiful new piece of clothing, and then realizing that it is too big, too small, or damaged. These easy sewing tutorials will help you improve your clothing without spending a fortune on a brand new wardrobe.
PLUS: DIY Clothing Repair Resources
Along with the clothing repair techniques and projects above, find more resources below to help you understand everything you need to know about fixing clothing and other fabric items at home!
- Types of DIY Clothing Repair
- Difference Between Textile, Fabric, and Cloth
- How to Cover Up Sewing Mistakes
- How to Fix Loose Threads on Clothes
- Basic Clothing Repair Techniques
- How to Stop Fraying on Fabric
- How to Sew Slippery Fabric
- How to Sew a Ripped Seam
- Is a Serger the Same as an Overlocker?
- Glossary of Sewing Terms
Read NextHow to Make Slippers From Jeans
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
- How to Make Slippers From Jeans
- Denim Wine Bottle Gift Bag Tutorial
- Chiffon T-Shirt Refashion
- 50+ Uses for Old T Shirts
- How To Upcycle A T-shirt Into Leggings
- Vintage Sheet Robe Refashion
- DIY Travel Storage Bags
- 40+ Ideas for What to Make with Old Jeans
- Gossip Girl Inspired DIY Headband
- 25+ Things To Do With Old Socks
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Shiny + Bright Ornament #6
- Free Mitten Sewing Pattern
- What is Draping? In Sewing and Fashion
- Teardrop Nostalgic Christmas Ornament
- Felt Nativity Advent Calendar Pattern
- DIY Fabric Tree For Christmas
- Star Christmas Ornament Block
- Sew Fast Autumn Table Runner Pattern
- Yoga Mat Strap
- Square Kitchen Potholders
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Project
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners