75+ Sewing Questions Answered: Ultimate FAQs Guide
Looking for sewing help? Not only are we tackling sewing FAQs but we have lots of sewing tips and how-tos as well.
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
It doesn't matter what level of sewing you are at, you're going to have questions. Sewing encompasses so many different elements that the list of FAQs is pretty high.
Since we've answered so many over the years, the editors of AllFreeSewing decided to put together the ultimate collection of Q&As. With this page, 75+ Sewing Questions Answered: Ultimate FAQs Guide, find the answers to all of your burning questions.
To make it easier for navigation, the Q&As are split up into sections. First off, there are the ultimate beginner basics. These are the questions most people ask, whether they want to learn any other sewing techniques. Then we go into FAQs about sewing notions, supplies, and sewing materials.
Learn all about fabric in the next section. Looking to make your own clothing? Then the next section is going to be ultra helpful, too. It focuses on taking measurements and figuring out your body shape. This will help you when you buy or make sewing patterns. Speaking of which, those Q&As are featured in the fifth section.
If you are new to sewing machines, then be sure to check out the FAQs and answers in the next section. And master all stitches by reading the questions, answers, and tutorials in the section after. Our last section focuses on the other popular questions that people ask in relation to sewing. You'll definitely want to check out our answers to those.
--- Answering Sewing Basics for Beginners ---
- Who Invented Sewing? - Get back to the very beginning in order to understand why sewing is as important as it is and how it has changed from its origins to modern times.
- Which Finger Does a Thimble Go On? - Not only will you learn what a thimble is, but why they are useful and how to wear them.
- What Does a Bobbin Do? - This little thread holder is confusing if you're unfamiliar. Learn all about them here.
- How to Sew One Hole Buttons - A popular question. These buttons are common on jackets and bags.
- How to Sew Two and Four Hole Buttons - Probably the most essential type of sewing most will do. Learn how to sew buttons with these tutorials.
- How to Make a Button Hole - Most commonly asked when looking to add buttons to fabric or when the button hole needs to be fixed or adjusted.
--- Sewing Notions and Popular Material Q&As ---
- What Are Sewing Notions? - If you are new to sewing, this is a common question. Find the answers with examples here!
- What are the Basic Sewing Tools? - If you're just getting started, find out what you need before you sew your first project.
- What are the Most Important Sewing Tools and Equipment? - If you are going to sew, these are the supplies you need to keep around.
- What Are Unconventional Sewing Tools? - Save some money by using what you have in your home. These ideas are clever and helpful.
- What Tools Do You Need for No-Sew Projects? - If you like the idea of no-sew fabric crafts, then be sure to check out this guide.
- How to Use a Seam Ripper - We all make mistakes but it's much easier to start over with the help of this little tool. Many ask this question!
- How to Use a Needle Threader - Getting the tiny thread in the eye of the tiny needle can be difficult, which is why this tool is popular. Your questions about it are answered here!
- How to Sharpen Sewing Scissors - Without a clean cut, fabric doesn't sew right or last as long. That's why this question needed to be answered. Check out your options for sharpening those scissors.
- How to Use a Rotary Cutter and Mat - These are essential for sewing and quilting but there are a lot of questions that are asked regarding rotary cutters and mats. Answers can be found here.
- What Types of Thread Should I Use? - Even many experienced sewists struggle with this question. We have all the answers on this page.
- What is Bias Tape? - This sewing product is referenced a lot in patterns. Learn all about it with this helpful resource.
- How to Use Bias Tape - After you've read "What is Bias Tape?" you can learn how to use it on this page.
- What Is Fusible Interfacing Used For? - Another product that is used in many sewing projects. This Q&A will help you understand it fully.
Learn even more about sewing with this definition page: Glossary of Sewing Terms
--- FAQs for Fabric and Fabric Care ---
- What Do Laundry Symbols Mean? - Whether you sew or not, this is an important thing to know. Learn all about them.
- How to Rotary Cut Fabric - Professionals make this task look easy but there are a few important factors to keep in mind.
- How Do You Cut Fabric Perfectly? - Ah, one of the most popular questions. Get all the tips and tricks for fabric cutting here.
- How Do You Care for Vintage Clothing? - Do not touch your valuable vintage pieces until reading this helpful page on the subject.
- How to Thrift for Fabric - There are so many times when checking out the local garage sales and resale shops will save you lots of money. Learn how to do it right!
- How Do you Sew Denim? - Denim is thick and tricky but this page has all the answers to the most common questions regarding this fabric.
- How Do You Wash Flannel? - It's surprising how much can go wrong when working with flannel. We answer all the most popular questions on this page.
- How Do You Cut Felt? - Felt is pretty simple to work with but it can easily be cut wrong. These helpful answers will keep you from making errors.
- How Do You Sew with Knits? - Knit fabric is incredibly finicky but you don't have to worry with this page full of answers to your burning questions.
- How Do You Choose the Best Fabric for Skirts? - From minis to maxis and everything in between, there are a lot of questions about skirts - we have the answers!
- How Do You Keep Fabric from Shrinking? - If you have ever washed clothing, you know how often this question comes up. We have all the best tips to help you keep clothes at the same size.
- How to Unwrinkle Clothes - Even without a dryer! This page full of advice on drying questions is a must-read for sure.
- How to Keep Raw Fabric Edges From Fraying - Most fabrics fray but we have the answers and tips to prevent and fix this problem.
--- Answers to Sizing and Measurement Questions ---
- What Size Am I? - This page has all the basics covered in relation to your sizing questions. Get that perfect measurement with these tips.
- Which Body Shape Am I? - Apple? Pear? Hourglass? Find your answers here along with suggestions on how to shop and what to wear.
- How Do I Dress for My Body Type? - Once you learn your shape, find out how to dress in the most flattering ways. These answers will help you out.
- How Do I Take Body Measurements? - A must-read if you shop online or want to start making your own clothes. Having the correct measurements is necessary.
- How Do Take I Take Men's Measurements? - For the guys! Measuring for men is different than for women which is why this page is so helpful!
- How Do I Find My Bra Size? - An ill-fitting bra is frustrating for so many reasons. This page answers all your questions about bra shopping and designing.
- How Do You Make a Body Form? - Once you have your measurements, make the perfect body form with this DIY tutorial.
--- Questions and Answers About Sewing Patterns ---
- How Do You Read a Sewing Pattern? - Before you learn the specifics of patterns, you need to know how to read one. Read answers to your questions here.
- How Do You Pin a Pattern? - This important step will keep you from making errors when working with patterns. A popular question with an easy answer!
- How to Alter a Sewing Pattern - So many people ask this since patterns aren't made for your specifics. Get all the answers on how to adjust them here.
- How to Reuse Sewing Patterns - Patterns can be pricey (or one-of-a-kind) so this a popular question. Find out how with this resource.
- How Do You Make a Sewing Pattern? - Forget storebought patterns; did you know you can make your own? Find out how with this helpful tutorial.
- How Do You Make a Dress Without a Pattern? - This page answers in depth this popular question. Make your own perfectly-fitting dress without a pattern!
--- Sewing Machine and Serger Q&As ---
- How to Choose a Sewing Machine - This may be the most important question in regards to sewing machines. Don't buy one until you read this.
- How Do You Use a Sewing Machine? - Once you've purchased your machine, learn how to use it with this helpful page on the basics.
- How Do You Clean a Sewing Machine? - If you don't clean your machine, it can malfunction, so this is an essential skill to learn. Questions about cleaning are answered here!
- How Do You Thread a Sewing Machine? - Not understanding this can lead to lots of issues and anger, which is why many machine owners ask this. Follow along with us and learn!
- What is a Serger? - This is a specific type of sewing machine and it may or may not be something you want to learn about. Even if you don't want one, it's important to learn about them.
- What is Sewing Machine Oil? - Lots of people ask this because many think any oil can be used in machines. Not the case! Learn what it is and why it's important.
--- FAQs for Stitching and Hemming ---
- Machine Stitching Basics - Sewing machines have so many stitches, it's important to know what they are and when to use them. This page has the answers.
- How to Start a Hand Stitch - If you want to learn how to stitch by hand, then this page is going to be your go-to guide.
- How to Sew a Straight Line by Hand - Ok, so you've learned how to start a hand stitch. Now how do you sew straight? This popular question gets the answers you seek and more.
- What is Topstitching? - Even if you sew, you may not be familiar with this term OR you may not know how to do it. Learn the different topstitches and when to use them.
- How to Paper Stitch - Ever stitch on paper? It's a technique that's gaining in popularity. This tutorial will show you how so you can impress with your cards or paper art.
- How to Blanket Stitch by Hand - The blanket stitch is one of the most popular stitches which is why this is one of the most popular questions. Find the tutorial on this page.
- How to Sew a French Knot - The French knot is perfect for creating small textured circles. Get the easy-to-follow tutorial on this page.
- How to Lazy Daisy Stitch - Into floral embroidery? Then you may be asking this question. We will show you this hand stitch in detail.
- How to Stem Stitch - The stem stitch is another popular stitch that hand sewists are clamoring to learn. You can by clicking to our tutorial.
- How Do You Sew a Rolled Hem? - A rolled hem is one of the most beautiful ways to finish a garment or project. Learn what it is and how to do it on this page.
- How Do You Sew a Basic Double Fold Hem? - This video tutorial will go over the basics and how to do it, so check it out!
- How to Hem a Skirt by Hand - If you don't have a machine or want to be extra careful, this tutorial will help you hem by hand.
- How to Hem a Skirt by Machine - And for you machine users out there, find out the best way to hem a skirt with this tutorial.
--- More Sewing Questions and Problems ...Solved ---
- What is Applique? An Introduction to Applique Sewing - If you've seen this word around in the sewing world, you are not alone. This popular question gets a detailed answer here.
- What is Basting in Sewing? - This question is so popular and often left unanswered. Not anymore! Find all you ever wanted to know about basting inside this resource.
- What Does Nap Mean in Sewing? - Naps are important but so is nap, especially in sewing. This sewing term question is answered with lots of other helpful information, too.
- What Are Darts in Sewing? - Darts are in many sewing patterns but what are they? Find the answers to all of your dart-related questions here.
- How to Gather Fabric in 6 Ways - Gathering fabric garners lots of questions. See what it looks like and how to do it IN 6 WAYS! So helpful.
- How Do You Design a Quilt? - If you want to get into quilting, then you may be interested in learning the answer to this FAQ.
- How to Sew a Patch - This question is so popular, not just amongst sewists. Nearly everyone has needed to sew on a patch at some point in their lives. This tutorial shows you how.
- What Kind of Thread to Use for Sewing Leather? - Leather is thick, shows holes and mistakes, and is not inexpensive, so this is an important skill to have. Learn all you need to know.
- What Causes Puckering When Sewing? - Few things are more frustrating than sewing something and getting the pucker. Learn what causes it and how to prevent it with this page.
- How Do You Fix a Run in Tights? - Tights are so thin that runs are super common. This popular question gets answered on this page.
- How Do You Sew with Elastic? - From headbands to skirts and everything in between, elastic is a common material in sewing. This page fills you in on all you need to know about elastic.
The world is going digital and sewing is on its way, too. Check out these helpful apps for sewing organization, patterns, and more: 10 Sewing Apps to Keep You in Stitches
What sewing questions do you have?
Let us know!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
How to Label Your Crafts
Digital and Traditional Sewing Patterns
10 Best Sewing Channels on YouTube
How to Sharpen Sewing Scissors
How to Sew with a Sewing Machine
How to Resize a Bra
How to Read a Sewing Pattern
Types of Hems
23+ Beginner Sewing Videos and Tutorials
Sewing for Beginners: Learn How to Sew with 8 Sewing Tutorials
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Halloween Costumes for Kids: 40+ Sewing Patterns & Projects
- Kids Pants
- Halloween Witch Hat Pattern
- Very Berry Kai Scissors
- Sew a Babydoll Dress with Chiffon Pleats
- How to make your own maxi dress. DIY Tent Dress Tutorial
- Easy DIY Caftan Dress Tutorial
- DIY Matching Mommy and Me Dresses
- Refashion T-Shirts into a Dress
- Flannel Floor Pillows
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Project
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners