50+ Patterns to Sew Purses
Learn how to make a bag with these free purse patterns that you're sure to love!
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
Of all things to sew, making purses is truly rewarding. Why? Because you can use them every day! Not to mention, when you're out and about wearing your newly sewn masterpiece, people will take notice. Be the envy of all your friends with any of these patterns to sew purses. It's so much fun to design your own handbags that you'll constantly be working on your next great purse project.
If you've never made one before, you've come to the right place because these awesome patterns will teach you how to sew a purse. If you're searching for a beginner sewing pattern, try A Handibag from a Pillowcase tutorial that will make for a wonderful grocery tote, or try this all-purpose One Hour Bag. For all the great reasons to sew your own purse, here are some of the best free purse patterns to sew!
Plus, don't miss our video on how to make a cool cosmetic bag!
Love free bag patterns? Then check out the 12 Beautiful Tote Purse Patterns free sewing patterns eBook! 12 Beautiful Tote Purse Patterns eBook
DIY Clutches are the smallest yet most convenient of all the patterns to sew purses. They're typically quick to make, but have fun details like buttons, beading, or leather trim, that make them work perfectly as simple and chic accessories like evening bags. You'll be able to fit your money, keys, and some lipstick in these small bags for a night out. Clutch purses are lightweight unlike regular shoulder bags, but are still large enough to hold all of your necessitites. You'll use these purses when you don't want to carry a bunch of stuff with you. While small purses have been popular for centuries with women, the modern clutch first became popular during the Golden Age of Hollywood in the 1920s and 30s (You can learn more about the history of the modern clutch with this article from Fashionta.com). Embrace your inner Hollywood goddess with these free DIY clutch patterns.
- Lilly Pulitzer-Inspired ClutchGet the designer look for less with an adorable DIY clutch that's perfect for channeling your inner East Coast prep. This Lilly Pulitzer-Inspired Clutch is the best way to create your own designer-inspired bag without spending a fortune.
- Placemat Clutch TutorialUse old placemats to make an adorable, little clutch. This Placemat Clutch Tutorial is rustic and chic. Plus, it will take you less than an hour to create!
- Pleated PouchSometimes you just need a cute, little bag to throw a few things in. The Pleated Pouch is a cute option. With a zippered top and a body small enough to fit inside a larger bag, you'll find this accessory works for everyday life.
- Lined Sequin ClutchDress up a regular outfit by making this Lined Sequin Clutch. With materials such as stretchy sequined fabric, lining fabric and a zipper, you can whip up a clutch that you'll be proud to show off. The instructions not only teach you how to make a clutch handbag, but also how to make a lined bag.
- Patchwork DIY Bag PatternsLearn how to make a bag that is perfect for storing your crafting supplies, makeup, art supplies, and any other small items. This gorgeous free bag pattern shows you how to use up scraps in order to create a cute and quick sewing project. Complete with how to add a zipper and homemade label tutorials, the step by step instructions for the Patchwork DIY Bag Patterns are expertly crafted and easy to follow.
- Beaded Clutch TutorialMaybe it is Friday night again and you are ready to go out on the town or you are preparing for a special New Years Eve Party. Keep all your valuables close by and your ensemble classy when you make this Beaded Clutch Tutorial. This how to make a clutch project is going to show you exactly how to use two fat quarters to make one gorgeous piece!
- Table Runner DIY ClutchCreate a designer-inspired purse that's chic and elegant without spending a fortune with this Table Runner DIY Clutch. This incredibly fun and budget-friendly refashioning project teaches you how to create a stylish clutch from a thrift store table runner.
- Gathered ClutchThis free purse sewing pattern is a new take on the traditional clutch. The Gathered Clutch features gorgeous gathered details that produce a lovely girly look. Every girl knows that a purse with pockets is so much better than a purse without.
- Clutches for the LadiesLooking for a special gift for your bridesmaids? Make these Clutches for the Ladies. Whether you need gifts for your bridesmaids or gifts for any lovely ladies in your life, these clutches will be so well received.
- Easy Foldover Clutch TutorialGet out your prettiest fat eighths and fat quarters to create a feminine clutch that combines luxurious faux leather with printed cottons. This Easy Foldover Clutch Tutorial shows you how to design a cute DIY bag that's delicate and dainty while still being large enough to hold all of your essentials.
- The Awesome Denim ClutchAt long last, the bag of your dreams is here. Take a look at these instructions on how to make a clutch purse and try to deny that The Awesome Denim Clutch is everything you've ever wanted and more.
- Two Tone Clutch PurseThis free clutch pattern shows you how to combine two fabric prints you adore to make a simple and sleek clutch you can use for just about anything. The Two-Tone Clutch Purse pattern is simple to make and sturdy to use.
- Easy Colorblock Clutch TutorialStop searching for the perfect clutch and make one of your own with this Easy Colorblock Clutch Tutorial. With this free sewing tutorial, you can create a fashion forward bag in no time at all. This easy-to-follow step-by-step tutorial lets you use trendy colorblocking techniques to make a standout bag that's perfect for any time of year.
- Pixie Hexie Wallet PatternIf you've been saving up your charm packs for the perfect project, then you'll love this Pixie Hexie Wallet Pattern. With this free purse pattern and tutorial, you can create an adorable wallet or clutch using easy quilting techniques.
- Button Clutch Bag"Turn a plain old clutch bag into something special by covering it with buttons. This is a really simple makeover, but so effective. It will take a long time; this is definitely not a quick project, but the results are so pretty and such a talking point."
Medium Sized Purses
If your favorite day-to-day purse is falling apart from wear, why not treat yourself to a brand new bag with one these free sewing patterns? These are your standard handbags, not the ones that are huge blackholes for all of your belongings. These DIY purses are perfect for your everyday activities like school runs or shopping, but are lightweight and have enough room for your essentials plus a book or water bottle. You'll be able to fit a wallet and some make up in these DIY purses, and their fashionable designs are sure to be the envy of all of your friends.
- Happy Trails Tote PatternThere's nothing better than a quick and easy purse that's roomy and lightweight, and looks great with any outfit. If you've been searching for the perfect purse pattern, look no further than this Happy Trails Tote Pattern.
- Buttercup BagWith this free purse pattern, sew your own Buttercup Bag. This purse is stylish and the perfect size for a day of shopping. If you love floral patterns as much as I do, this bag is a must-make!
- Hobo Dance BagThis is an easy way to make a stylish bag. The Hobo Dance Bag can be decorated as seen here, or for a more adult version use a different logo or go without. The messenger bag will look great and be very useful.
- One Hour BagLearn how to make a purse in one hour with this stunning free purse pattern for sewing. The One Hour Bag will honestly only take you one hour to create, and you will get hours and hours of use out of this simple and convenient bag.
- Darling Drawstring BackpackCheck out this full printable pattern to sew a purse that's hands-free and fashionable.
- The Day Trip PurseBefore you head out the door on a day adventure, grab The Day Trip Purse. It's got the room and the style you need for your day bag. Learn how to sew a purse with this pretty pattern.
- With multiple pockets in the main compartment and a sleek, stylish design, the Blossom Shoulder Bag is every girl's dream bag. Learn how to sew a purse with this fabulous and functional bag pattern.
- Burlap Purse With Shabby RoseYou'd be surprised to hear that you can make a lovely purse like the Burlap Purse With Shabby Rose for around $5! Similar bags could set you back close to $100. Use this free purse pattern to be both smart and stylish.
- Traditional Japanese Rice BagIf you're in the neighborhood for free patterns for purses to sew, this Traditional Japanese Rice Bag may be just what you're looking for. Do something different and try learning how to sew a bag that embodies ancient Japanese tradition.
- 30 Minute Reversible BagStop spending a ton of time sewing purses and make the perfect go-to bag in hardly any time at all with this 30 Minute Reversible Bag. You can create an adorable purse that's lightweight yet still large enough to hold all of your essentials with this free purse tutorial.
- Your Dream BagNo, you're not still asleep, Your Dream Bag is just here. Finally, the wait is over. Explore this full purse pattern tutorial to find out how you can achieve the DIY bag you want for a fraction of the in-store price.
- Fat Quarter BagThis big bag can carry a lot and it is super easy to make. Check it out.
- How to Make a Bag in One HourIf you have an hour to spare, why not take that time to create something useful and adorable? This How to Make a Bag in One Hour tutorial shows you how to make a quick and simple tote bag. This fabulous bag is sturdy and a breeze to make.
- The Wonder Mom Free Purse PatternMoms always have everything they could possibly need in their purse. If you have a wonder mom in your life, make her a bag to fit all that stuff with The Wonder Mom Free Purse Pattern. This big and beautiful bag can carry just about anything and the sturdy straps mean she can carry it all comfortably.
Tote Bag Patterns
If you're always on the go, then tote bags are a total must. DIY tote bags will fit everything you need for a certain event, whether you're going to the beach, library, or gym. They'll fit towels, a change of clothes, books, or even items for a baby. If you like traveling, this is one of the patterns to sew purses that you'll want to make first, because tote bags are super roomy but fold or roll-up easily for storage. Plus, most tote bags can also double as grocery sacks. Take some stress of traveling by making one of these free tote bag patterns.
- Leather Bottom Tote BagThis summer, treat yourself to a chic and easy-to-sew bag that's totally on trend by following this Leather Bottom Tote Bag tutorial. This DIY bag tutorial is the perfect way to add a touch of class to any outfit, from jeans and a tee to a cute maxi dress.
- 5 Step Market ToteLearn how to make a tote bag in just five easy steps when you explore this grocery bag pattern idea. The 5 Step Market Tote is made out of a pillowcase, meaning it is an insanely cheap way to make an adorable sewn bag pattern.
- Canvas Beach BagBreak out the sunscreen and sunglasses because it's almost summer! When you hit up the beach, you'll need a place to store all of your belongings while you're in the water. Make the Canvas Beach Bag to tote your beachy belongings from point A to point B.
- T Shirt Tote BagUse these patterns to sew purses from a t-shirt! The T-shirt tote bag is an easy way to learn how to sew a purse on the cheap.
- Twenty Minute ToteThis tote bag pattern is one of our most popular projects and it is easy to see why! You can carry anything in the Twenty Minute Tote, and you can make a dozen of them since it sews up so quickly! Use this sewing tutorial to learn how to sew your own purse in whatever fabric you want.
- A Handibag From A PillowcaseLearn how to make a tote bag perfect for running errands in just 5 easy steps! Turn a simple pillow case with into a DIY tote bag with this free sewing pattern. The Handibag From A Pillowcase folds up small so you can carry it anywhere.
- The Piano Shoulder BagLearn how to make a shoulder bag that tears it up in terms of style. The Piano Shoulder Bag is an instant classic. Both playful and functional, you can add this to your list of DIY purses that transform an outfit from tame to wild.
- Dotty Embroidered ToteGive a plain old bag a brand new look by doing a little crafting. This Dotty Embroidered Tote is a budget-friendly way to give yourself a stylish bag to use while also having some fun. Grab your needle and thread and follow along with this simple embroidery tutorial to learn how to decorate a DIY tote you'll love.
- A Fine Day T-Shirt ToteWhen the sun and temperatures beckon you and your little ones to the market, you'll be glad to have A Fine Day T-Shirt Tote. Store your fresh fruits and veggies in this DIY tote, made from old t-shirts.
- Your Favorite Beach BagGoing to the beach would be all the lovelier if you stored your suit and sunscreen in Your Favorite Beach Bag. As far as free tote bag patterns go, this will certainly become one of your go-to purse patterns.
- Classy Striped Tote BagMake your next stylish bag a fun DIY experience. Check out this tote bag tutorial to learn how make this Classy Striped Tote Bag. This is a great project to channel your creativity into something completely fabulous.
- Make a versatile tote bag pattern that you can take anywhere you would like when you learn how to make a tote bag that is reversible and roomy with this free sewing pattern. Remona's Reversible Tote Bag makes a great reusable grocery bag pattern, library tote, or even a homemade purse pattern.
- Tote Full of PocketsThere is a reason tote bags are so popular. They are too cute, too practical, and too easy to make. If you are on the hunt for your next purse, consider crafting this Tote Full of Pockets.
- Fabulous Farmer's Market ToteJoin the reusable grocery bag craze by sewing this Fabulous Farmer's Market Tote. This simple tote bag pattern is well worth the little time you need to make it. Sew sturdy and lengthy straps, a lining, and eye-catching exterior fabric onto this tote.
- Tee to Tote BagHave an old shirt you love, but can't wear anymore? Don't throw it out; transform it with this guide for a Tee to Tote Bag. See how to make a tote bag that's never going to be in stores.
- Easily Maintained Market TotesWhat is it that makes these Easily Maintained Market Totes so user friendly? For one thing, these DIY bags are reusable, meaning that you won't have to compromise with excessive paper or plastic bags in your home after your trip to the store.
- Sweatshirt Tote TutorialTransform an old sweatshirt into your favorite new tote. With just a few stitches and some braid work, you've got a comfy tote to hold your personal belongings. This free purse pattern is so quick and easy, you can make several in one sitting.
- Tri-Color Ten-Step Tote Bag PatternLearn how to make a tote bag in just ten easy-to-follow steps with this gorgeous free tote bag pattern. This gorgeous, free purse pattern looks just like a tote bag you can buy at the store. Impress your friends and add some style to your accessorizing when you make the Tri-Color Ten-Step Tote Bag Pattern.
- Tote Style HandbagHit the town in style with this Tote Style Handbag. When it comes to free online sewing patterns it doesn't get much better (or more chic-tacular) than this adorable bag. It's always fun to dress up your outfit with a fun new accessory, especially when it's one you've made yourself.
- Cornishware DIY Tote BagThe next time you receive a boring, promotional tote bag, use this DIY sewing project to transform that dud into something you will love. The Cornishware DIY Tote Bag shows you how to makeover a tote by adding some pretty ruffles.
Coin Purse Patterns
If you're looking for a great way to clear out your fabric stash, then you can't go wrong with a simple coin purse. These tiny DIY purses will fit some change and maybe some cash. They're also perfect for holding small objects like contacts, lipstick, or mints. If you're traveling in a country that uses a lot of coins like in the UK or Europe, you'll want to make one of these coin purses to carry with you. These easy sewing projects make fantastic DIY gift ideas or stocking stuffers, and let you show off your favorite printed fabric and bright colors.
- Useful Geometric Purse"I love a project that is quick to make and uses next to nothing in fabric and supplies. This little geometric purse is great for all of those tasks like iPod storage, coins, or jewellery. It is a great seller for craft fairs and always appreciated as a gift."
- Coin Purse Key ChainNever lose your keys again with this Coin Purse Key Chain! This cute coin purse pattern has a zippered pocket for your money or credit cards as well as a key fob. Stay organized with this free coin purse sewing pattern.
- Cute Japanese Coin PurseThe Cute Japanese Coin Purse is useful and easy to make. You'll love the traditional look of this sewing project. Make it easy on yourself to find the change you need with this coin purse.
- Macaron Coin Purse PatternParisians are known for their sense of style and fabulous pastries, so why not combine both with this super sweet coin purse tutorial? This adorable Macaron Coin Purse Pattern looks good enough to eat!
- Ball Clasp Pear Coin PurseLook no farther than this printable pattern for a sweet way to store your coins. You can make a Ball Clasp Pear Coin Purse following this easy sewing tutorial. Free coin purse patterns like this show you how to make a pouch for your loose change that you will love to show off.
- Patchwork Vintage Coin Purse PatternMaking a creative and cute coin purse pattern is one of the best ways to spend a free afternoon. This DIY coin purse is no different. Looking adorable in a pastel color scheme reminiscent of the sewing accessories of the 50s, the Patchwork Vintage Coin Purse is a unique and triangular three-dimensional shape that makes carrying coins enjoyable!
- Foxy DIY Coin PurseKeep your extra coins tucked away in this adorable Foxy DIY Coin Purse. This precious and printable sewing pattern. Made to look like the cutest little fox you have ever seen, this little purse would be the perfect piece to make for a daughter that is moving off to college.
Looking for more tote bag patterns? Then don't miss this list of DIY tote bag ideas! Free Tote Bag Pattern Party: 18 How to Make a Tote Bag Ideas
What's your favorite style of purse? Let us know below in the comments!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive, partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Halloween Witch Hat
- How to Make Gloves + 6 Free Mitten Patterns
- Quick Pockets for T-Shirts
- Stylish Insulated Lunch Bag
- DIY Ruffled Zipper Jeans
- All-Purpose Modern Apron
- Reverse Juliet Sleeve Top
- Quilter's Slidelock
- Dragonskin RESIZE-IT Template Set
- Suede Shirttail Mini Skirt
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Project
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners